Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Hard water and nappy stripping

(7 Posts)
djblanks Thu 06-Nov-14 09:13:37

Hi! I'm having cloth nappy issues and I need a better way to strip. I've done the plain hot water washes until there's no suds but they're still leaking and they have a stiff texture! I think instead it's the super hard water of London. I use a magnoball and little powdered detergent generally, but even the cheeky wipes come out scratchy (we've speed using them). What would be a good strip method for hard water and what's better for maintaining it? Thanks for any advice...!!

lentilpot Thu 06-Nov-14 09:28:13

I take our whole stash to my in laws every now and then, they have a water softener and a tumble dryer, between the two the nappies out soft and cushy!

djblanks Thu 06-Nov-14 16:46:49

Oh I wish I could do that but my family is all in the US. I'm thinking of bringing them back for the holidays but not so much a long term solution ;-)

LostMySocks Thu 13-Nov-14 21:32:27

A whizz in the tumbler every so often softens mine in the winter. If you don't have one pop to your local launderet. The big drums will bounce them nicely

Pinkypurrrfect Mon 17-Nov-14 21:36:33

Mine are currently on the line getting rained on as we speak. i was so surprised at the difference in them. They became so soft, i wasnt having leakage problems but the difference after is worth a try.

Pikkewyn Mon 17-Nov-14 21:39:39

A quick tumble dry will soften but may also solve your leaking problem as the heat will seal any little holes/gaps in the PUL.

Are they fitting properly? too tight can be as bad a too loose for leaking.

djblanks Thu 20-Nov-14 03:22:05

I'll have to find a tumble dryer - ours seems like a steam dryer if that makes sense? I did bring them home to the US and used some rlr to strip them, so much better! Just need to maintain this now. Anyone use Calgon?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now