Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Any terry square users out there ?

(6 Posts)
SelinaG Fri 31-Oct-14 19:11:23

Hi,

I've recently started using terry squares and they work well so I don't want to give up on them but I struggle to get one on my wriggly toddler. They always end up loose and saggy, any one got any tips on how to change terry nappies ?

What folds and wraps do you use ? do you use nippas or pins ?

Thanks.

mrsmilkymoo Sat 01-Nov-14 09:05:47

We're just starting out with terries, so I am also keen for any tips and advice. dd is almost three months, but was a tiddler when she was born and they just swamped her, so we stuck to disposables at first. Now we are trying terries again. The fold I use is the one where you make a square, then pull one layer out to make a triangle, and then fold the other side up to make a pad for the middle. Not sure if I've described that very well though!

mrsmilkymoo Sat 01-Nov-14 09:07:13

oh and I've been using nippas, much easier than pins and no danger of pricking dd!

Cuppachaplz Sat 01-Nov-14 11:36:21

nippas, all the way!
I can't help with toddler folds, as only used NB terries / muslins for 1st 4m then moved to tie-ons, but the nappy lady web site has lots of advice on different fold for different occasions. Or you could try the cloth nappy tree forums. Good luck x
www.thenappylady.co.uk/demovideosterrysquareandprefolds.html
www.clothnappytree.com/infos.php

SelinaG Sat 01-Nov-14 20:03:13

My son is nearly 3yrs and in terries for the first time, at the moment I'm kite folding and using pins.

I did try nippas but couldn't get them to stay secure, pins seem to do a far better job but are a pain with a wiggly 3 yr old !

CatWithKittens Sun 02-Nov-14 10:28:37

We have always used Terries (for 5 DC) and, at this stage, used the "neat fold" which seemed to stay in place best and did not get too loose or saggy but was realtively easily adjustable to the size of the child. That having been said we have always used pins - I have never found the nippas really nip tightly enough and always used old fashioned plastic pants because I failed to find a more modern type of nappy cover which did not fall down - especially for the girls when they had a dress or skirt. I have never pinned a child - all you need to do is make sure you keep your own hand in the way of any over enthusiastic pushing through the nappy. (My Great Ormond Street trained MIL did confess to me that she had pinned DH when he was little but claims in mitigation that it was only because she was trying to do it one handed while stopping him rolling off a very narrow changing table in a hotel.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now