Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Thinking of trying cloth nappies - help?

(10 Posts)
cheesecakemom Fri 10-Oct-14 23:36:14

Since I'm actually taking time off and feeling a bit brave this time round I thought cloth nappies might be worth a try.

It does seem rather expensive - do you actually save money? I remember changing at least 6 nappies a day during those first few days - so I assume I will need plenty if I only wash once per day?

My questions - which brand/s do I go for when I have a newborn? How many will I need (roughly per day)?

Which other brands do you prefer once the baby is a bit heavier?

stargirl1701 Sat 11-Oct-14 22:31:49

I would say don't start at newborn. Most birth-to-potty nappies really fit after 12lb. The newborn nappies will only last 4/6/8 weeks.

Start by filling in the nappy lady's questionnaire.

www.thenappylady.co.uk/submittaq.html

Phone your local council environmental/recycling dept and see if they have incentives. Like the Reusable Nappy Association on Facebook and then like all the retailers on there. You'll see any offers/discounts that come up. There are preloved groups on FaceBook too. eBay also has bargains.

You'll need a nappy pail and some wet bags. 24 nappies will see you through if you wash every second day. Concentrate on day nappies at the beginning and keep a disposable on overnight. We started night nappies at 6 months.

Think about reuseable wipes too.

I have saved very little money as they keep bringing out new pretty prints that I keep buying! grin But, yes, you will save money. I find the cloth wipes are the biggest saving.

Brands I like are Tots Bots, BumGenius, Little Lambs bamboo (nights), Motherease wraps (nights), Disana wool wraps (nights) and Cheeky Wipes.

Don't buy a 'kit' until you are very sure. I loved the Tots Bots with DD1 but I couldn't get a good fit on her. They fit DD2 really well. Try, try, try before spending lots of money.

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Sat 11-Oct-14 22:38:48

I second going to the nappy lady website, grin

FishWithABicycle Sat 11-Oct-14 22:48:42

Agree do not attempt cloth from newborn. We used cloth very happily from about 8 weeks. A nappy supplier (I think www.boocoo.co.uk but can't check as on my phone) did a brilliant service where you paid a modest fee to hire a sample set of 12 different designs to trial to see what you like best. All designs have strengths and weaknesses so this is a brilliant way to find what works for you.

Tadpoletoatoad Sat 11-Oct-14 22:49:20

Some NCT branches have a local cloth nappy library so contact your local branch and ask

MrsNutsandBolts Sat 25-Oct-14 12:37:53

Totally agree with recommendeding the Nappylady. She is really good and really friendly!

I also quite like the "fill your pants" website. They have some trial packs too.
My favourite nappies are still Bum Genius (I've tried out a few, there are so many).

KnickersOnOnesHead Tue 04-Nov-14 19:25:56

We cloth bummed from birth, it's not half as bad as people are making out!!

You can contact your local nappy library who can hire you a newborn kit for the duration that you need them without having the expense of buying them.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210790892075311005303.0004c9cf0c87b3ebc4c89&msa=0&dg=feature

Pinkypurrrfect Mon 17-Nov-14 21:42:52

i went for cheap BTP nappies off ebay, i brought 24 nappies with one insert for about £50 and dd is 15 months now and these are the main nappies that we use still. They were brilliant. When i did the questionnaire above i was advised to buy nappies that there £30 each!!!! i simply couldnt afford that. I have brought a couple pre-loved (facebook have some really good groups for pre-loved, and it is not unhygienic to do this) Buy a few and start part time to see how you get on, i dont doubt you will love them and want more. Good luck smile

foolonthehill Mon 17-Nov-14 21:51:50

had 4 DC all in cloth nappies from the start....systems are better now but I did Muslin nappies with a terry insert for newborns ...have to learn a fold but was not hard......they then recycled to cloths for sick/wiping up (and now window/floor cloths 13 years later!). Then had terry foldables and Imsy vimsy shaped wraps for longer term. All lasted all 4 children. Drying was easy as they were single thickness. Washed every 2 days.

It's not that hard...honestly. These days I would probably go for shaped and bamboo....

saved many pound notes then passed them on to others. My nappies have done 4 children of my own, 3 of a friends and some of the less used larger ones are still in circulation with friend's sister's toddler.

No Landfill, no guiilt and all good.

PS look out for competitions...you can win a birth to potty system in lots of places like baby mags and council sponsored websites. Also some councils still do a discount voucher as they save if you don;t send stuff to landfill

SmallestInTheClass Sat 22-Nov-14 21:10:29

I agree with Pinky, go for the cheap ebay ones if you want to save money. There's no way you will if you buy the posh brands like Bumgenius, although the prints on some of the brands are lovely. I used ebay cheap Birth to Potty ones for my two girls (and had both of them in them for a while). They lasted really well, and actually better than my branded ones (I bought one each of a few when I started using them). I washed every two days when they were young and then every three when they were older. You need to have enough to allow a days drying time. Don't feel you have to do all or nothing - start with enough to do one day cloth (perhaps 6-8 nappies) then one day off while you wash.
I used the little lambs bamboo inserts when they got older, they are relatively cheap, thin and go inside the nappy along with the insert supplied to make them more absorbant when the wees get bigger. I'd also agree that it's easy to put yourself off by starting at the newborn stage. I tried with my first and it was just one more thing to think about when your life is already upside down (in a good way!). With my second I just used disposables until she was big enough for the birth to potty ones.
Good luck, cloth is great if you can get it to work for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now