Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Reusables and liquid poo: how?!?

(9 Posts)
Quodlibet Thu 06-Feb-14 22:08:11

Ok, I really really want to be using reusable nappies and have invested in a stash (mix of bumgenius and totsbots).

DD is now nearly 8 weeks and big enough for the nappies so we have started trialling them at home, however I cannot fathom how you deal with newborn poo without it being a tremendous faff. Tried a disposable liner, but that just moved and nappy still got coated. Poo wouldn't rinse off in toilet so had to shower it off in the end into a bucket. It felt like I used about 5 million litres of water in the process. Also had to run a machine load with little more than 5 nappies in as the smell was getting to me, which seemed like a wastefully empty wash.

Can anyone enlighten me? Otherwise the reusables are going back in the cupboard until poos are more solid.

whereisshe Fri 07-Feb-14 12:46:48

Just joining you on the thread as we're starting to trial cloth nappies on DD (6 weeks) and I have exactly the same problem! Hopefully someone will enlighten us smile...

AnitaBlake Fri 07-Feb-14 12:59:01

Newborn poo will come out in the wash, so I wouldn't worry about it, I sometime put them through twice if its bad, you only really have to worry when it becomes more solid x

Indith Fri 07-Feb-14 13:06:16

Stick nappy in lidded bucket. Won't smell so long as lid on.

Stick contents of bucket in wash.

Do a cold rinse.

Wash at 60.

whereisshe Fri 07-Feb-14 20:13:55

How do you stop the nappies getting stained fluoro yellow with the bilirubin?

MooseBeTimeForSnow Fri 07-Feb-14 20:25:16

You can buy a diaper sprayer which you attach to the water supply for the toilet, so you shower everything down the pan.

As for the bilirubin, the answer is sunlight. Leave your diapers to hang to dry in a sunny window. Even overcast is better than nothing. If you think about it they put jaundiced babies under sunlight lamps smile

Quodlibet Sat 08-Feb-14 21:46:31

Thank you all for advice. I guess I need to just get used to putting poo in my new washing machine! I never knew bilirubin was what made it yellow. You live and learn.

cloutiedumpling Fri 14-Feb-14 20:00:45

It is hard at this time of year because you can't dry nappies outside. I just got used to putting yellow nappies on DD blush. As soon as the weather picks up I'd hang the nappies outside and the stains will disappear like magic.

KnickersOnOnesHead Fri 14-Mar-14 16:27:05

No liners needed for liquid poop, especially the disposable ones!

Stick soiled nappy in a bucket, then when you have enough for a wash / bucket is full stick in machine on a rinse cycle, then wash on 40/50 with half the powder you would normally use.

Breastfeeding poo washes straight away and as yet we have had no staining.

Don't have any experience with formula milk poo though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now