Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Thinking of switching to reusable nappies - advice wanted please

(8 Posts)
MummyKnight Wed 05-Feb-14 23:24:31

My DD is 15 months and I was wondering firstly if it's worth switching to reusables now or have I left it too late?

If it's worth it what do I need to get? She goes to nursery 3 days a week so would I need to get a bucket for home and one for nursery?ow do you cope when out and about for example on a day trip? The idea of carrying around soiled nappies has always put me off. Is there loads of extra work involved with the washing, soaking, rinsing etc? Are the wraps generally one size fits all or are there different sizes like with disposables?

We are planning to have another DC in a couple of years so if I do make the switch I can dig them all out again for DC2 so the expense isn't really an issue.

Sorry for all the questions, I have absolutely no clue about any of this! I think more information when I was pregnant would have been really helpful, I don't understand why this isn't done. Even a booklet explaining things popped into the maternity pack would have been extremely helpful!

Many thanks for any advice you can give me grin thanks

Trenzalor Thu 06-Feb-14 20:02:39

I've just made the switch with my seven month old. I asked friends for advice and filled in a nappy lady questionnaire. To start off I bought a bamboozle stretchie in size two with mother ease wrap and booster for night time (a two part system, the absorbent nappy and a waterproof wrap). For daytime I got the bumgenius free time. Both got trialled today after a prewash. Both got christened by number twos! No leaks or poo explosions. I tried a fleece liner first - big mistake - go for paper flush able liners so you don't have to attempt to remove poop!
My daughter wasn't fussed and the cloth was certainly nicer on her skin and there was no smell at all (a nice break from the disposable chemical smell).
For nursery most people use a sealable waterproof bag and some people suggested you chat with your nursery about using cloth as they do need changing a little more regularly. I don't think they can refuse your wish to use cloth but some might try! I believe people rave about monkey foot bags but they aren't cheap.
I can't recommend the nappy lady website enough, I read all the info and watched most of the videos!
Good luck!

Trenzalor Thu 06-Feb-14 20:04:14

Sorry, should've said - the bum genius free time is a one piece nappy so the most like a disposable. It has absorbent flaps that are seen in but only at one end so you can open it out to dry quicker. I put it on a heated airer for a couple of hours and it was dry.

Trenzalor Thu 06-Feb-14 20:04:46

Also bgF are birth to potty and resized using poppers on the front.

MummyKnight Fri 07-Feb-14 08:10:09

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely check out the nappy lady website. And thanks for the tip about about flushable liners, scraping poo was one of things putting me off!

MummyKnight Sat 08-Feb-14 14:16:46

I checked out the nappy lady website, she makes everything so clear and easy to understand! I've filled in the questionnaire as well so in a day or two I'll know exactly what's what. Thanks again for your help grin thanks

Trenzalor Sat 08-Feb-14 15:35:40

No problem.
We are having our first fully cloth day today and it's going well!

AndHarry Sat 08-Feb-14 16:04:19

I use cloth during the day and disposables at night with my 15mo DD. For nursery I use pocket nappies that I stuff and line the night before and the nursery nurses have had no problem using them. At home I use two-part nappies: Little Lambs or Bamboozle Stretch nappies with Little Lamb wraps.

I use disposable liners so just take them out and tip the worst of the poo down the loo before chucking the liner. I did use fleece ones before DD started weaning and still use them sometimes if I want to use Sudocrem on teething-related nappy rash.

I don't use buckets; I use a huge wet bag at home (Smartipants Smart Pail) and small wet bags out and about and at nursery (out of the ones I've tried the Blueberry wet bags have lasted the longest - and are the prettiest!).

When it comes to washing I stick everything in at 60 with my usual washing powder and everything except the Little Lamb wraps and the wet bags goes into the drier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now