Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Dry pail with eco-balls?

(8 Posts)
Asur Fri 02-Jun-06 09:09:14

I'm hoping someone out there can give me a bit of advice. I'm going to be starting using terry nappies from tomorrow (after finally finding bottom of washing basket, 3 weeks after caesarean - DH apparently doesn't know how to put washing machine on...)

Anyway, I was planning on dry pailing the nappies but I've started using eco-balls which are really good but I'm not sure if they'll be good on dry nappies. Has anyone used these? Should I soak them or should I put some nappisan/vinegar in the machine? I don't want to use detergent but I also don't want stained/dirty looking nappies (how vain!)

Thanks for reading this!

PrettyCandles Fri 02-Jun-06 09:14:05

I've dry-pailed without any stains or grubbyness (you have to rinse poo off first though), but can't comment on eco-balls.

You sure you want to start so soon after a caesarean? It's heavy stuff to lift.

Asur Fri 02-Jun-06 11:38:21

Thanks for that, I think I might just give it a go and see if they wash them well enough, guess if it doesn't work then I'll just try pre-soaking and if not then I'll go for new washing powder!

Should be alright with the washing after caesarean though - I've been doing a few loads the last couple of days and been fine. Am just taking half the load out the machine at a time and that seems to work. It's much easier than waiting for DH to do it!

LittleB Sat 03-Jun-06 11:35:24

I dry pail with eco-balls! Just put everything in the bucket dry, although I sluice sticky poos off in the loo, and put in a couple of drops of tea tree oil to stop it smelling. Wash on my shortest wash with my eco-balls. Do get the odd stain and use ecover laundry bleach once in a while. In the summer the sun bleaches them on the line so they stay nice and white, occasionally in the winter when they are looking a bit off white I put them on a hot wash with some detergent and vanish to brighten them up again, but you don't need to do this. Would recommend eco-balls to everyone!

Asur Sun 04-Jun-06 10:14:03

Thanks LittleB, that's good to know. I didn't actually start with the nappies yesterday as planned as DH forgot all about it and put disposables on; I figured I would leave it till tomorrow. New week, new nappies

I feel a lot better about it now that I know the eco-balls will work.

moondog Sun 04-Jun-06 10:17:14

aNOTHER ONE WHO DRY PAILS AND USES AN ECO BALL.
vERY HAPPY WITH RESULTS.
[SMILE]

Asur Mon 05-Jun-06 11:49:56

Thanks Moondog... DS is in real nappies just now as planned so am looking forward to the first wash and being able to see a nice line of clean nappies drying in the sun (can't believe I'm actually looking forward to washing nappies - having a baby really changes the meaning of fun...)

Cappucino Mon 05-Jun-06 12:49:29

yes also dry pail and eco balls

usually do a rinse and spin with white vinegar first

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: