Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Teething Causing nappy rash?

(12 Posts)
babyonboard Thu 01-Jun-06 10:01:52

Is this true?

DS has had it for a while..not spotty rash, more just general redness..
my gran said 'oooh it's his waters burning because he's teething'

she advised I give him barley boiled up in water

really!?

jaylou Thu 01-Jun-06 10:03:41

funny that, my mil sugested the same thing at the weekend! my ds has had shocking nappies, red cheeks and a very red bottom too. but they say teething only brings teeth?

babyonboard Thu 01-Jun-06 10:07:55

how funny..

well he has one tooth halfway out..and about 2mm of the one next to it..

sugarfree Thu 01-Jun-06 10:12:32

Ds1 used to get a shocking bum when teething.Only time we've ever had nappy rash really.
Ds2 always got a spotty chin.
Ds3 no symptoms beyond dribbling and gnawing.

jaylou Thu 01-Jun-06 10:13:04

mine has two bottom and one top just very painfully emerging. needless to say there's not much sleeping going on at the mo.

FlameBoo Thu 01-Jun-06 10:18:15

I was told that they got nasty poo, and in turn more likely to get nappy rash because of all the excess saliva being made & swallowed... dunno if its true, but it made sense to me.

DD had very sweet smelling, snot-like poo during teething (tmi I know )

teabelly Fri 02-Jun-06 22:19:54

I was told that their wee is also more acidic during teething and this also aggrivates the nether regions.

Metanium or Bepathen (sp) are excellent nappy rash creams for this kind of nappy rash - particularly metanium...ds had awful open sores on his bum when teething and this cleared it up very quickly.

PanicPants Fri 02-Jun-06 22:29:27

ds is 9months and has got 7 teeth which have come 1 at a time since he was 7months constantly so he's had a red, sore bottom for ages - and dirty nappies 5 times a day. hv said it was due to his teeth.

The extra saliva makes sense.

clairemow Fri 02-Jun-06 22:42:38

ds always had a really sore bottom when he's teething, and v. smelly, more bitty than normal (too much info?) poos when teething. Sometimes his poor little behind would bleed it would get so raw, even with loads of sudocrem. In fact, his teeth didn't really bother him in any other way, and the red bottom was often the first sign of more coming. It always cleared up really quickly though after the teeth came. He's now go all his first teeth, so hopefully these days are gone...

I also heard that it's partly also because the teeth causes inflammation etc. and extra bacteria, which then goes into the tummy, and their digestive system doesn't work so well. but that could be rubbish!

DaddyNicholas Sun 06-Jan-08 22:03:09

Our first has the sorest bottom he has ever had, has terrible poo, made us feel quite guilty until we realised he was teething.

Extra bacteria, extra saliva, all sounds sensible enough but woud love to know if any medical research has been done on the subject, surely there must be a way of counter-acting whatever it is before the redness gets too much.

If it's too much acid, would eliminating fat help??? (skimmed milk, white fish instead of meat, ...) Very amateurish suggestion I know.

Did the barley boiled in water do the trick Mrs babyonboard?

We'll keep surfing to find if some research has been done and will post again if something comes up.

DaddyNicholas Sun 06-Jan-08 22:49:32

OK I went and saw things on the Internet and it appears that there has been research into the symptoms smile but not the causes hmm. Possible causes were cited though including saliva and stress.

The British Medical Journal online site has an article generally saying that "OK there are symptoms probably due to teething, but be careful not to miss something else..." Here is the BMJ Article

Listed symptoms with high correlation included ear-pulling, which we also saw with our loved one. We only thought he was playing...

vukse Sun 01-Oct-17 09:38:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: