Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Starting to toilet train - all advice appreciated!

(5 Posts)
LittleSarah Wed 31-May-06 18:21:15

Hey

Am about to start toilet training my 2 year old (as am now on holiday from uni) and really don't know where to start.

I have read a bit, about getting her to sit on potty for 5 mins after breakfast/lunch, etc but she really does not like to sit still!

Anyway, what did you do? And would you reccommend it? And - crucially - how long did it take?

Oh, and how do you get them to wee in the potty - all I have read pertains to number 2s!

Thanks!

ladymuck Wed 31-May-06 18:23:06

Well for me the key was to wait until the child was ready - then it is a peice of cake! But have a read through of Cod's potty training boot camp threads.

LIZS Wed 31-May-06 18:28:45

If she can't /won't sit still then she may just not be ready. Is she aware of being wet and dirty ? Can she manage basic clothes ?

Try a bit of bribery with a button or sticker reward , initially just for sitting , then for producing anything, then for anticipating and so on. You'll have to take her very frequently to begin with and if she shows signs of resistance, inability to wee voluntarily or you and she get stressed about it, leave it for another time. You have to be prepared to tolerate accidents (Dettox spray and kitchen towel at the ready!) and have her running around bare too.

Piffle Wed 31-May-06 18:31:13

close to 3 yr old 3 yr old?
If not leave it a few more months

LittleSarah Wed 31-May-06 19:24:42

Thanks, have looked at cods threads, looks like the kind of attitude I could go for!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: