Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

re-usable virgin. please point me in the right direction.

(12 Posts)
moanymandy Tue 04-Jun-13 20:52:48

Hi all.

I am expecting dc2 and have been thinking about using real nappies. I have had a quick Google and lots of info came up but I am a complete novice and found it a little confusing!

can anyone recommend any sites for useful information or give me some pointers on where to start?

I had a little look through the threads running but again I don't know where to start!

Any help wod be much appreciated! smile tia

karatekimmi Tue 04-Jun-13 20:58:51

Is it a reusable version you were after?

Some people might not know a reusable virgin as your title asks!! Gave me a giggle though grin

I use disposables so no help with your query!!

TweenageAngst Tue 04-Jun-13 21:03:56

Great threat title... I clicked before realising it was about nappies had a good giggle though.

mikkii Tue 04-Jun-13 21:05:01

Does your local council run a nappy service? Ours used to provide a small grant to offset the cost. This is no longer available, but searching "nappy" on the council website brought up links to "nappuchino" events.

There may also be nappy laundry service covering your area, just google it.

Another source of information might be via the NCT, when I was a member ours had a real nappy information service.

moanymandy Tue 04-Jun-13 21:08:54

haha didn't think that title through did I!! grin

I have just had another google and found an old thread where someone has recommended a web site nappy lady, so going to have a look there, also will try council web sit and NCT thank you!

pollyontheshore Tue 04-Jun-13 21:23:06

After trawling loads of sites, I've found thenappylady.co.uk the most comprehensive and honest (not just trying to sell you the limited range they have). You can fill in a questionnaire (for free) and she'll make recommendations based on your needs (as there is so much variety) then give you 5% off everything you buy from then on. Also loads of general info on the different types, how to wash etc.

I started off with a friend's stash, which didn't fit my son so well and picked up a few second hand, which has been great to get started. The Nappy Lady recommendations have been spot on so have finally got a system that can cope with epic weeing and bf poo. I wouldn't commit to an expensive system until DC arrives but try a few things (you can hire kits for newborns too from lots of places) as they don't all fit the same things (my son appears to have quite a long bum!).

Good luck! (But be warned - nappy collecting is very addictive...)

moanymandy Tue 04-Jun-13 21:55:22

thank you polly. I have had a quick look at the site and feel less confused already! I also filled in the questionnaire so will see what that suggests.

The site has so much information and will continue to read up tomorrow. I feel positive about it though and just wish I considered it for ds1!

Yankeedoodlenic Thu 20-Jun-13 16:27:32

Hi All! I'm so glad this thread is fresh as I think I am in a similar situ to MoanyMandy! I'm months away from birth but have promised my dear mum that I'd look into real nappies. I did find this great site (http://www.lizziesrealnappies.co.uk/) but am going to look at the link above as well.

One quick question - how does 1 nappy fit from "birth to potty" as this site I linked above says several times. I just can't envision in my head how that works!

The site above makes it sound fairly appealing and easy but my worry is I'll spend hundreds on all the gear and then not get on with them and end up buying disposables anyway!

squidgeberry Thu 20-Jun-13 16:48:11

I've just started using reusables on dc2, 3.5 weeks, so not an expert, I have been given some second hand, and have bought a couple of other different types so I could try some different sorts before committing to a particular brand/type. As my boy is quite chunky, I think I prefer the birth to potty pocket nappies - I.e bumgenius, but wouldn't have known this before I had him. Especially as my dd1 was a petite little thing.

So maybe buy a couple of different sorts to try first?

The birth to potty ones have poppers on so that you can adjust the size.

Yankeedoodlenic Fri 21-Jun-13 11:28:51

Well SquidBerry I hope you keep us posted with your progress as I'd be very interested to find out how you get on with them!

Zigby Fri 21-Jun-13 11:39:59

I am afraid my experience was not very positive.

I used re-useable nappies for my first child and went back to disposables for my second.

I found the re-useables were not so environmentally friendly because of all the drying. I had to use the tumble drier because I needed them turning round quickly and it would take 2 hours. Also it isn't very nice having a bucket of stinky nappies lying around. I used to spray them with a weak solution of tea tree oil to try to keep the smell at bay.

I also found them to be bulky under clothes and some trousers just weren't made to accommodate big nappies. You need to have the waterproof pants over, or they leak and they didn't feel nice - quite rough.

So, I wouldn't recommend them. However, there was no nappy service in my area and I am sure that would have made for a better experience.

Yankeedoodlenic Fri 21-Jun-13 12:24:23

Zigby thanks for your feedback on the whole situation and some really useful comments! I'll add those to the con's list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now