Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Can anyone please help me rescue potty training?

(11 Posts)
Hayls Thu 25-May-06 12:48:41

My dd is 2yrs 4 months and seemed to be showing all the signs of being ready but I'm a bit stumped at the progress or lack of. Started 'properly' on Tuesday and she did't go in potty at all, same on Wed but went to nursery in the afternoon and went in the potty 4 times (no poos though). This morning she has pooed on the floor at home and wet herself at playgroup.
I sit her on the potty every 20 mins or so but she never does anything and then 5 mins later she'll wet herself. If it wasn't for the fact that she went OK at nursery I would be thinking she wasn't ready yet and would stop but I don't want to confuse her by suddenly stopping if this is normal. BUt at the same time I don't want to continue if she isn't ready...
She is wearing pants and a skirt and we have a sticker chart and dolly mixture tub (potty sweeties)for when she sits on it but even that doesn't seem to have much effect. We also have the BEar in Big Blue House potty DVD and a special potty song (yes I sound like a prat)I@m totally relaxed about it, don't scold her for accidents and don't make her sit on it if she doesn't want to go.
So do I stop or not? If not what can I do differently?
TIA

Hayls Thu 25-May-06 13:10:38

bump

sorkycake Thu 25-May-06 13:19:53

Hmm, I'm bribing my ds 2.6 with jelly babies for every wee he does on the toilet. We've gone straight to the insert seat for the toilet (poo) and a step (wee) because using a potty was a total battle of wills (he won).
I took him shopping for spiderman pants and that seemed to be quite a catalyst, Calls them his 'spidey duds' lol.
I resorted to bribery so don't really feel qualified to give you any advice. Just maybe to try the toilet not potty. He wouldn't squat to wee but always did it stand up, so we got a step for him to pee like daddy.
Last week he did a poo followed by a wee and demanded 2 jelly babies for his efforts, that was the clincher, he knew if he went to the toilet he got a jelly baby, if he had an accident, he didn't get anything except a John Wayne walk!
Hope you get the advice you need, sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Hayls Thu 25-May-06 14:06:06

Thanks. She's got lovely pants that I know she approves of but just doesn't seem to want to do it. She just said she needed a wee so I put her on the potty and read a story but nothing came out and so far she hasn't wet herself so who knowd what's going on!

deste Thu 25-May-06 19:45:04

Dont stop, but I would suggest you wait till the weekend, dont plan anything at all, and dont go out. Tell her first thing that you will be using the potty and give her a small reward if she uses it. I dont think I would leave it to the nursery, I dont think it is fair on them plus there are too many distractions. You have to be vigilant throughout the weekend and keep an eye on her. She needs some direction as she is only 2.4 months old. If you stick with it and are determined she should begin to get the hang of it in a few days.

jumble Thu 25-May-06 22:53:40

in the same boat. dd says'mummeeee' and starts a wee, then finishes on potty, runs into the dining room and goes quiet, poos in knickers, and protests at the suggestion of sitting on the potty then produces a litre of wee. it's a week tomorrow since we started and there's no way we're going backwards into nappies again, so I would say just persevere. re potty sweeties, ours our potty chocolates(minstrels) Noses to the grindstone, good luck, here's hoping we both have toilet trained toddlers before we lose all hope!

sparklemagic Thu 25-May-06 23:31:37

(whispers) just to put another view, you could wait until it's not a struggle at all? My DS got it sorted in one day, NOT cos he's a genius, he was just ready!!!!!!

Hayls Fri 26-May-06 09:30:05

THanks for all this- at least I know there are others in the same boat. If i didn't think she was ready I really wouldn't do it but because she is fine at nursery I don't want to put her back in nappies at home iyswim. SHe jsut told me that the potty downstairs is too hard and that she wanted to use the one upstairs so we came up and she sat on it (no wee though). Funny hting is though that they're the same potties upstairs and downstairs... I've decided to see hwo she goes over the weekend and if she hasn't made progress I Might stop for now.

(Have tried the big toilet but she really doesn't like it)

AtHomeMum Fri 26-May-06 10:24:21

I tried dd3 at this age (school hols so easier for me & I thought she was ready) & got no where. Tried again about 6 weeks later & she was really quick. Think first time she just had not got the control to wait the 30secs to get to the potty. She didn't want to poo in the potty at first - had to hold her hand the first time - just a bot scared I think - then she was fine. Would recommed you leave it a few weeks. Alternatively you could try the pull up nappies (but cut/tear off if she does a poo in one - won't go into gruesome details).

blueshoes Fri 26-May-06 10:34:38

Hayls, my dd (2.8) took 7 days to get it. Initially, she was also better at nursery (full time) than at home in the sense that she actually asked to sit on the potty/toilet in nursery, although they could not always get her to there in time. Whereas at home, she just had wee accidents all the time and did not ask. Although I must say she got poos almost right away. On the 5th and 6th day at nursery, it was accidents all the way through (nursery, because she could not hold on for long enough after asking. Home, because she did not ask). But then, it was one or two accidents to being dry all day, whether at home or nursery.

So it was darkest before the dawn. Give your dd a week or so. It takes a while to click but at the same time, you don't want to force if dd is not ready. Good luck!

tegan Fri 26-May-06 21:06:55

Don't know if this will help but I know exactly what you are going through.
I decided last week that dd2 (2.1 months) needed to be out of nappies so she has been in pull ups to go out and pants at home .
We have had good and bad days but the worst thing is it has totally upset her sleep pattern and I have to wait until she is asleep before I can put a nappy on her for night times.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: