Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Please could someone recommend the best cloth nappy brand...

(34 Posts)
primogen Tue 23-May-06 14:04:10

I want to use them but I am overwhelmed by all the choice. Easy to use is my main priority and comfort for my baby. Who make the best? Any tips for using cloth nappies? Gratefully recieved!

Thank you!

Raggydoll Tue 23-May-06 14:11:26

Thanks primogen for asking this question - i just read the 'what are these shiny crystals' thread and i'm buying cloth nappies today!! come on all you mn'ers which ones shall we buy??

MrsDoolittle Tue 23-May-06 14:13:26

Are you sure you wanna get into this?

MrsDoolittle Tue 23-May-06 14:13:43

Do you have all day?

MrsDoolittle Tue 23-May-06 14:16:00

Actually, don't know if there is a best nappy brand, it depends on what suits you.
Motherease and Totsbots are the market leaders but it doesn't stop there by any means.
There are a few of us looking into the BumGenius right now. Brand new in from the States and it's been received very positively.
How much have you got to spend?

I have some for sale

primogen Tue 23-May-06 14:18:02

Money isn't really a problem as I have saved some for the baby.

Raggydoll the crystals thread made me feel ill too!

hana Tue 23-May-06 14:35:20

everyone has their favourites - I have a mixture of totsbots, sandys, motherease onesize, kissaluv and wee notions. Wraps are nature babies ( v cute patterns) and motherease snaps. Love the wee notions and kissaluvs but use an unbleached tots at night.....any chance you can borrow some to see what you like and what suits your baby? Some of the nappy websites will do trials, or buy nappies back at reduced prices if you don't keep them.

Raggydoll Tue 23-May-06 14:51:59

thanks for your help everyone - can you also advise how many i need just to get started - dd is 9 mths thanks

hana Tue 23-May-06 14:55:10

depends on how often you want to wash - I have about 18 and dd2 goes through about 4 or 5 a day, I wash every 3 days.

mumfor1standfinaltime Tue 23-May-06 14:55:34

There are so many to buy! I chose Motherease onesize nappies, purely so that I didnt have to buy bigger sizes later. They are supposed to see baby through to potty training.
Never had any problems with them at all. I use paper liners inside as well as a snap in liner (bought seperately).
I havent bought wraps from Motherease, I have bought some plastic pants (old style, use with terry nappies) with fabric around the legs and waist from my local shop for 99p each!

mumfor1standfinaltime Tue 23-May-06 14:56:43

I wash nappies every night, I have 10 nappies and 5 wraps. Ds uses 4 - 5 a day. It can vary though.

zubb Tue 23-May-06 14:57:42

see if you have a lollipop scheme in your area - they come to your house and demonstrate all the different kinds of nappies, and can advise on how many etc

also look at some of the web sites - the nappy lady is a good place to start.

earthtomummy Tue 23-May-06 14:58:46

Hi, I felt swamped when we started with clothies, but we plumped for Motherease onesize with the motherease popper wraps. They are great, great at night with a booster pad and have NEVEr leaked (which is amazing really). My 2nd and 3rd child have used (3rd still is ) them and they still look great. Because they are white they go in a really hot wash - no worries about them running colourwise and the wraps are white for the same reason, though I have some v. cute Nature Babies wraps for under sundresses which are v. cute. They fit DD until she was potty trained. I have 14 with snap in liners and 3 boosters for night. Means I need to do a nappy wash roughly every other evening. I wetpail them with lavender and teatree oil in the pail so not too whiffy. The amount and type you need or should onsider depends on how yu can dry them. If you don't have a dryer then a lot of the thicker nappies will be a nightmare in the winter and take too long to dry.. Motherease aren't too bulky though under clothes. The Nappy Lady runs a great advice line - fill in an online form and an adviser gets back to you with tailormade advice.

Lio Tue 23-May-06 14:59:59

Have only tried Bambino Mio (didn't work for us, leaked every time) and MotherEase One Size, which I like and have stuck with for 2 years and will re-use on next child. Quite expensive to try others, so I haven't bothered even though can quite believe there is something equally good/better out there. I think I prob have about 15/20 nappies and 4 wraps. I buy the paper liners from Waitrose.

liath Tue 23-May-06 15:21:22

Mother ease one size are easy to use and leak-proof even with bad diarrhoea. They dry fast and are hard wearing (but not "exciting" nappies IYKNWIM!!)

I have some tots fluffles & bamboozles too but bought the nippa ones which was a mistake as they're a lot harder to do up if dd is in one of her jumping around during nappy change moods. They work well once on! They're made in Scotland, so good if you want to buy British.

Raggydoll Tue 23-May-06 15:58:10

okay - i've bought 3 motherease and 3 motherease wraps, just to see what they are like (expensive aren't they). do I need anything else like liners and how do i clean them when they're dirty... [stupid questions emoticon]

SoupDragon Tue 23-May-06 16:01:08

I've just been sucked into this by BumGenius nappies

SoupDragon Tue 23-May-06 16:02:02

(and I'm a die hard "disposable" girl.)

hana Tue 23-May-06 16:07:22

raggydoll - you don't have to change the wrap everytime you change the nappy - or even wash it as frequently - I usually air it out and use 2 during one day, swapping between changes

I put dirty nappies in a bucket with a lid and add few drops of tea tree oil to lid to keep smell down. I dry pail (don't soak them in water) between washing, unless a nappy is pretty dirty, then I do soak. I wash at 40 degrees usually and add white vinegar ( in softener tray) during rinse. I hand them outside or on radiators during winter and sometimes will tumble dry for 10 min to get them really dry if it's been really raining or damp, or to soften them up

Raggydoll Tue 23-May-06 21:36:46

thanks everyone and to primogen for starting this thread ...

soupdragon - apologies because this is a cheeky question... but if you don't mind me asking how much did you spend getting started with bumGenius?

expatinscotland Tue 23-May-06 23:14:00

okay - i've bought 3 motherease and 3 motherease wraps, just to see what they are like (expensive aren't they). do I need anything else like liners and how do i clean them when they're dirty... [stupid questions emoticon]

Raggy, we use flushable liners - they're about £2.50 for a roll of 100 and last about a month (our baby is 6 months)

The waste just goes down the pan. Then put the nappy in a pail. Ours is lined w/a mesh. You can add a few drops of essential oil like tea tree, but this can affect the colours of some nappies.

Every other day, wash the nappies - or every day - and wraps.

W/teh liner, we just take it out and chuck the whole lot into the washing machine.

I do mine at 60 w/Fairy non-bio and a little handful of soda crystals if DD2s had some bad nappies.

Don't forget to fold them down if you're using ones w/Velcro fastening, or the Velcro will stick to other nappies and pull the terry.

You may also want a 'booster' if you are using them at night.

You can buy these OR take a tip from a wise MN'tter who uses microfibre cloths from Tesco folded in half.

I found 'em in Lidl 3 for £2.50 and they're brill.

for the night nappy, just put the booster over the business section, liner on top of that, and you're ready to rock.

maisiemog Tue 23-May-06 23:49:51

I agree there isn't a best brand, it's like cars, you buy what suits you. However, I'm not going to recommend birth to potty onesize nappies. I prefer to buy a small nappy for a small baby, so it fits properly and isn't very bulky, then sell them and use the money to buy a size 2 nappy for your older baby.
What you don't realise when you are starting out is that there is a great second hand market for reusable nappies and provided you buy something fairly mainstream like tots bots, Ellas House , Minki or Bimbles/bumbles/Diddy Diapers you can sell them fairly easily.
You will need more small nappies for a newborn (8-12 per day) but fewer (5-6 per day) for a baby of 6 months or more, so you should be able to avoid spending any extra on the larger size.
For an older baby you might like to try minki waffles, bamboozles, Fluffles, microdiddy diaper size 2, Bimble size 2 or and Ellas house nappy all quite slim and absorbent.
Things to consider are, how often you want to wash, what your drying facilities are, the size shape of your baby, how heavy a wetter your baby is, whether your baby can poo for Britain.

SoupDragon Wed 24-May-06 12:46:57

Raggydoll, I went for the £199 birth-to-potty pack from Nappymania. Seems a lot but will (allegedly) be the only nappy I need as it's adjustable. Also, if it doesn't work out, I can sell them at very little loss I think.

I trialled one (£15 with a 90% money back guarantee if you didn't like it) also from Nappymania and liked it from the start. It dries really quickly which is a huge bonus.

maisiemog Wed 24-May-06 22:39:43

I've heard that the bumgenius is one of the few birth to potty nappies that actually 'fits' from birth to potty and isn't bulky on a littlie.
It's not my cup of tea though. I'm not a bit pocket fan and I'm not into totally synthetic nappy systems either, but they do have lots of benefits.

booge Wed 24-May-06 22:57:41

I love my fuzzi bunz with wonderfulls inserts.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: