Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Cloth nappies no longer absorbent enough? Strip wash?

(7 Posts)
Nightfall1983 Sat 04-May-13 23:14:20

We use Bambino MioSolo reusables, always been great but lately seem to leak even if changed every 2 hrs! DS is nearly 8 months and still on a lot of milk so wees a lot.

I think the problem is possibly a build up of residue in the nappies, rather than him just weeing too much for them. I've heard of doing a 'strip wash' any idea how you do this?

FYI we currently: wet pail with nappy soak (wanted to dry pail but found the nappies smelt badly of wee even when washed), wash (approx every 2 days) with fairy non bio (one tablet) and napisan disinfectant at 30 degrees. We line dry.

slackdan Sun 05-May-13 08:55:42

Definitely, go for a strip wash. We've been told recently that you can use a dishwasher tablet as a really strong detergent then do a couple of rinse cycles - we always go for 'extra rinse' on our machine anyway. Failing that, a couple of tablespoons of vinegar in with a 60 degree wash although you need to be careful with natural fibres so don't do it very often.

Also, you can do a maintenance wash for the machine - 60 degrees + some vinegar with nothing in the machine.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the 'fairly' that's the problem. Even the non-bio has lots of 'extras' like brighteners etc. All of these things can cause build-up & affect absorbency. We use Ecover powder because it is very simple & don't have to strip very often.

HTH

rrreow Tue 07-May-13 14:37:12

Definitely try a strip wash. But I'd also consider maybe boosting the nappies. We use MioSolos for DS and they don't last even 2 hours if they're unboosted. We put in a Little Lamb bamboo booster which makes them last up to 4 hours. I also recall we had some leaking/wicking issues at certain points just because he was changing shape and we had some gaping around the legs.

busybusymummy12 Tue 07-May-13 14:41:25

Well I use gNappies 100% disposable refills and just the most adorable colourful soft nappy covers. And even better Ocado has a 25% offer on right now. So easy and so good for the planet.

mumtosp Fri 24-May-13 17:05:37

Just came across this thread... can I be naive and ask what a strip wash is ? blush

Kelbells Sun 26-May-13 13:16:42

A strip wash is a method of washing nappies to get rid of any detergent build up (or for getting rid of barrier creams/accidental softener use) basically a deep clean/stripping back to bare nappysmile

mumtosp Mon 27-May-13 21:12:54

Thanks Kellbells

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now