Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

If your nursery were going to use cloth....

(47 Posts)
MrsDoolittle Thu 18-May-06 17:13:04

and they asked for comments
1. what would you say?

2. which ones would you suggest?

moondog Thu 18-May-06 17:14:54

I'd say 'Bravo'!
I'd recommend Bambino Mios only because they are the only ones I know.
I was considered a loon 5 years ago when I sent dd to nursery with cloth nappies.

MrsDoolittle Thu 18-May-06 17:16:07

I do and am H

moonshaddow Thu 18-May-06 17:49:34

I'd say to go for it totally, and use onelife -a birth to potty nappy so will fit em all!

flowerfairy Thu 18-May-06 19:57:00

I send my ds with fuzzis as ithink they are nice and simple to use without having extra press studs or nippas

Gem13 Thu 18-May-06 20:15:53

1. Excellent

2. Motherease

BonyM Thu 18-May-06 20:27:50

Mrs D - haven't you ordered your Bumgenius yet? .

You know you want to...

BonyM Thu 18-May-06 20:29:50

To answer question no. 2 - the aforementioned BGs or Happy Heinys (much better than Fuzzis imo) as they're both as easy as disposables.

BonyM Thu 18-May-06 20:30:19

To answer question no. 2 - the aforementioned BG or Happy Heinys (much better than Fuzzis imo) as they're both as easy as disposables.

MrsDoolittle Thu 18-May-06 20:37:52

I don't know Happy Heiney ones.
And yes Bony I think I will order some!

BonyM Thu 18-May-06 20:42:20

Happy Heinys are gorgeous - fabulous prints. I find though that they only last 3hrs max before getting a leak (find the same with Fuzzis), so have to ensure that they're changed regularly.

I still love 'em though - they're my "show off" nappies!

LeahE Thu 18-May-06 20:50:31

I send DS with prestuffed pocket nappies (mostly Fuzzi Bunz but also some Nature Babies, Wonderoos, Banana Babies and Supa Dupas) with paper liners. I think Happy Heinys are aplix-fastening(?) and I'm not keen on aplix/velcro (probably because DS learned to undo it early).

MrsDoolittle Thu 18-May-06 20:51:19

Which are your favourite nappies. Do you think the pocket nappy is the best to use.
How practical would a wrap and nappy be at nursery?

What does anyone think to the Minki waffle, it has this suedecloth inner like the bumgenius.

Cappucino Thu 18-May-06 21:14:20

I'd probably agree that motherease are a good bet since they're all the same size

also easy enough to dry

pootlepod Thu 18-May-06 21:29:04

Do you mean that the nursery would provide cloth for all children?

There are some nurseries which do this, I think they tend to use prefold systems as it is important they can be washed on a high temperature (i.e. nappies with elastic parts would wear quicker when washed at 90c). I think a nappy laundering system is often used.

I would say Bravo too!

MrsDoolittle Thu 18-May-06 21:36:44

The nursery are thinking of going over to cloth for all children.
I understand that the manager does not have experience of using them herself so welcomes comments from parents.
I am hugely pro myself and have offered help if needed. At the moment she is looking at Bambino's but I think that there are better ones out there now.

However, I always use a wrap and shaped nappy - I'm not so sure this is practical at nursery.
However, I am going to try a bumgenius for myself (shame they aren't cute though )and I thought it might be worth suggesting.

MrsDoolittle Thu 18-May-06 21:41:50

See extract form e-mail;
Nappies- And finally we are seriously considering swapping over from disposable nappies to pre-formed cotton nappies. The planning is in the early stages but I would appreciate any initial thoughts.

Children would come in a disposable and would be changed into a cotton nappy while at nursery. The last change before they go home they would be put back into a disposable to go home with. As we try to be eco friendly nursery the quantity of nappies we go through is frightening, and the initial research I’ve done we will probably use Bambino Mio nappies. They are very little hassle these days flushable bio degradable liners that flush away( strong enough to catch solids!), cotton inners that are washed and then the outer nappy ( no safety pins these days Velcro).

MrsDoolittle Thu 18-May-06 22:02:44

I see what you mean now pootlepod.
Of course! A laundry service and the high temperatures. There aren't any alternatives to pre-folds then are there?

Rach69 Fri 19-May-06 11:29:47

Well to be really eco friendly they should be washing at only 60 (isn't that what hospitals do?) and why not tots fluffles? they can be 3months - potty, they also need only a blow on the line or a few mins in a dryer saving a huge amount of electricity for a nursery. Popper fluffles don't need nippas or liners. I don't think adding a wrap would be a big deal, they could even have their own individual ones. I wonder what other parents' reactions will be? I bet a lot of people wouldn't like their precious bundles wearing someone else's nappy!

Jessajam Fri 19-May-06 11:39:38

SUCH a good idea! Wish my ds's nursesy was this forward thinking (they will use his cloth nappies, but if I have lost track of the washing cycle and have to send him with a choice of a cloth or a disposable...they always plump for the disposable...grrr)

Has to be a one size fits all type for their convenience surely?
I use motherease.
What would the problem with wraps be? Get loads, change them when needed, wash them when needed...have I missed a point somewhere?

My only thing would be that I wouldn't wantds sent back home in a disposable!!!!

PiccadillyCircus Fri 19-May-06 11:43:11

I suppose they could have a problem if the clothes children were wearing didn't fit under cloth nappies - ie if they were wearing trousers which were OK with disposables and not with cloth.

Having discovered we now have to supply nappies for DD when she starts at nursery, she will be wearing her nice cloth nappies there as well (disposables used to be supplied so I was going to have her in disposables there).

mummyhill Fri 19-May-06 11:56:34

Hooray more cloth bottoms.

I'd tell them to go for it.

Not sure which I would recomend though we currently use prefolds and I stand there and fold them and place them in the changing bag before going anywhere in the morning to save time when changing. It would be more time consuming for the staff unless they use a service which washes dries and folds nappies.

TheFlameWhoWasAfraidOfTheDark Fri 19-May-06 12:26:25

I like the fluffles suggestion, but there would be the trouser issue. If they are talking bambinos then they'd be wrapping anyway, and as far as I can tell tots are better suited to multiple bumshapes (my babies have the wrong shape bums for prefolds so it would be a nightmare for them.)

I do wonder about the whole "my darling in some other child's nasty nappy" thing (wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but I'm a cloth mummy...), but at the end of the day if it bothers them that much there will be those that leave the nursery, but as long as they promote themselves as a cloth nursery, they will get more interest from cloth mums over a non-cloth nursery.

IlanaK Fri 19-May-06 12:48:23

I have run my own nursery for the last 7 years. We have recently switched over to cloth at nursery (we have always used cloth for my own children). We are using prefolds and a laundering service. I really think this is the only safe way for a nursery to go. It is vital that they are washed at extremely high temperateures to prevent the spreaed of disease (there are many diseases spread through bodily fluids) and the only nappy that can withstand this is one without elastic. We also use a basic wrap.

Now I know this is really boring. My kids were in shaped nappies with funky wraps of all colours and materials, but this is just not practical for nursery.

We also ask for them to come in with a disposable and go home in one. We did consider sending them home in cloth and aksing for parents to return them, but we were advised by the laundering service that other nurseries had tried this and ended up seriously out of pocket as they did not get returned.

lua Fri 19-May-06 13:03:17

Hi can slightly highjack this thread...
My nursery does accept cloth, but when we send DS on it, we come back with a multitude of plastic bags with nappies and wraps on it.... The plastic waste plus the extra washing (one wrap per nappy) and drying (during the winter) turned me off of sending him in on cloth. So we are only using cloth at home now.
It works fine, but he is a super heavy wetter and I'm thinking we will need some new diapers. So my question is, would the pocket nappies solve both problems? i.e. hold more at night, and be easier to take to the nursery?
The bumgenious looks interesting... but is easy to dry? That's important if I'll be washing 4 every day....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: