Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Starting Potty Training

(6 Posts)
Buddanjoe Tue 16-May-06 22:22:27

Hi

My son is almost 2 1/2 yrs old and can communicate very well. He has seen his 3 year old cousin going through potty training and now on to using the toilet. He gets very excited about using the potty - we let him pick one out and he loves it. I have had varying success with starting out on potty training but the time never seems right so it never lasts, due to my laziness I suppose, more than a couple of odd evenings. I am very rarely in all day and work part time. He has used the potty to do wees and is successful 95% of the time, he has even done a poo on one occassion. Trouble is, today I went to a play centre and, as my son is quite tall and easily looks 3, I heard people commenting that he's still in nappies. Although I know this shouldn't bother me, it has.
I would now like to try and get him potty trained but now I am being told it's not a good time as we're off on hols in 4 weeks time and I have been told this will hinder things. Anyone got any advice?????

maddiebean Wed 17-May-06 06:55:09

Hi Buddanjoe

Firstly, IGNORE those other parents. It's so hard but from experience I can tell you if your trying to get your child to change the way they behave to suit others you will both end up going bonkers. Also, if they think he shouldn't be in a nappy then I assume they'll be leaping up to change him/clear up any accidents if he's not....ha! Secondly I'm afraid you may have to bite the bullet and stay in for a few days - maybe over a weekend if you can't fit it round work and really focus on the potty training if you want him trained. Let ds wander round in just pants or nothing at all. Have the potty to hand, maybe stickers or a chocolate button as a reward when he does use the potty, ignore and just clear up accidents etc etc...you know the rules! If you really focus on it now you should find ds will be ok in 4 weeks time, especially as he is so keen! If you really can't face carrying around spare clothes, visiting public toilets etc on holiday then leave it! It doesn't matter and waiting another month will mean nicer weather for garden potty training when you get back. I think basically I'm saying you need to find the right time then stick to it. Stopping and starting will just make it confusing for your ds. (I do understand, I only started training dd because we were trapped at home for a week when she ,then a few days later her brother, had chickenpox!) Good Luck!

Maddie
x

bourneville Wed 17-May-06 10:03:46

I think maddiebean's advice is very good.
If it was me i would put it off till after the holiday but that's cos i like an easy life. dd is nearly 2.10 and i keep putting it off because trips out etc keep cropping up & because i can't bear the thought of staying in for a whole week! (let alone a holiday!)

I am definitely going to start next week though i am i am i am!!

bourneville Wed 17-May-06 10:03:56

I think maddiebean's advice is very good.
If it was me i would put it off till after the holiday but that's cos i like an easy life. dd is nearly 2.10 and i keep putting it off because trips out etc keep cropping up & because i can't bear the thought of staying in for a whole week! (let alone a holiday!)

I am definitely going to start next week though i am i am i am!!

Buddanjoe Wed 17-May-06 23:07:58

Thanks everyone

I think I will leave it til we get back from hols, just incase he gets a touch of spanish tummy or something wouldn't want to spend the holiday cleaning dirty underwear...hmm, nice. I will definately start the week we get back! x

ediemay Wed 17-May-06 23:38:56

it's so much easier in warmer weather (if we ever get any)!
I would wait until after the holiday then try to get 3 or 4 days of staying in and just go for it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: