Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Experiences with Terry Towelling Nappies?

(14 Posts)
Peaky1 Tue 09-Oct-12 22:29:55

I'm researching different nappies to use for my first child. I've started out looking at all the different types of nappies and my friend keeps harping on about how easy and cheap terry towelling was for her 3 daughters (youngest now 12). Any thoughts? I'll be looking on the reviews page tomorrow too..

ValiumQueen Wed 10-Oct-12 19:45:34

They are cheap, and millions of babies had them. They do not come in giraffe or tiger or camouflage as far as I know. I have four bamboo terry nappies I will be trying on baby, so will let you know. My only experience with terries is when I was a baby so cannot contribute more, sorry.

Peaky1 Wed 10-Oct-12 21:58:24

That's ok. I've been looking at the reviews page today while on the laptop. I'll probably discuss them with the nappy lady I'm seeing tomorrow too. I guess you can still get the covers for the outside in whatever patterns you like!

ValiumQueen Thu 11-Oct-12 06:41:22

You are correct peaky. I had not thought of that (baby brain).

RillaBlythe Thu 11-Oct-12 06:56:25

I use bamboo terries with a mix of wraps - mostly Motherease. I like their simplicity & quick drying. I do take fitted nappies out with me though of simplicity of changes in public toilets (dd is wriggly).

Tchaikovsky Thu 11-Oct-12 07:55:12

I love them. I always get a good fit, and they wash really well, and dry much quicker tha anything else. One size fits right through, so cheap as chips, and you can pretty them up with nice wraps or wool covers which I've just discovered are even nicer.

Beachcomber Thu 11-Oct-12 08:02:05

I used terries and found them really easy to dry, adaptable by different folds for growing babies, etc.

I have very small babies though so terries were too big in the beginning and I used those big muslins (not the small ones for wiping milk) and they were great too, really quick drying and nice and soft on newborn skin.

Agree they are the cheap option and as long as you don't mind folding (which is dead easy) they are practical and sort of satisfying.

Peaky1 Thu 11-Oct-12 08:52:58

Thanks for the replies ladies. I'll definitely look into them as an option .

CatWithKittens Fri 12-Oct-12 10:21:15

We've used Terries for 5 children - at one time having 3 in daytime + 1 in night time nappies at the same time using over 20 nappies a day. We've found them cheap, reliable at keeping bedding and clothes dry and clean, easy to wash and dry and I've never been tempted to try anything else. (They also have the great advantage in our case that both sets of grandparents were already familiar with their use!!) As the children have got older at night we have used larger than normal 60cm nappies - some of 67 and some of 75 - and only rarely had a wet bed, and then when it's been my fault for not tucking the nappy in well enough. Hope that helps

ValiumQueen Fri 12-Oct-12 11:27:40

cat what did you use over the top? Fancy wraps or the plastic pants? Sometimes I do wonder if the old ways are the best, and we are just being duped by the manufacturers that we need all these fancy AIOs etc.

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Fri 12-Oct-12 14:13:53

Wow cat 20 nappies a day! What a lot of laundry - well done!

I've got some cotton Terry squares, use mainly as changing mat covers/ bottom drying / wiping of general mess, but I do like them as nappies, I'm just lazy and using shaped ones is easier when DD is trying to escape mid-change. They are great for drying quickly though. My mum still has some hanging round from when we were small, apparently they're very useful to have around the house and evidently last a long time!

ValiumQueen Fri 12-Oct-12 14:19:11

My mum still has some as cleaning cloths after serving the three of us. I am the youngest at 43!

CatWithKittens Fri 12-Oct-12 16:47:56

ValiumQueen - we used plastic pants as they seemed to do the job and were cheap. DH was not earning very much - and being paid even less - when we had DS1 and economy was important and then we just stuck with them. Actually 20 nappies a day was no more difficult to launder than 5 or 6, except for time spent in hanging them on the line and getting them in. The real expoenditure of time was in changing but I always folded the nappies ready when I got them in so that was not much longer than on the odd occasion I used disposables on holiday. (I found I got wet beds with disposables which caused much more laundry difficulties.)

MrsCF Fri 12-Oct-12 16:59:39

I used terry nappies with imse vimse waterproof covers for my DD from birth until she was one, I got lazy once I went back to work though!
They were very simple, I added a fleece liner to make them a bit softer on her bum and keep the wetness off a bit. I had 24 in total and never ran out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now