Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Does anyone else give as much nappy free time as possible?

(13 Posts)
bellabreeze Sun 30-Sep-12 01:20:45

With my babies it has seemed like I have constantly had bin bags with towels on top down on the floor, I really believe in the benefits of having lots of time with no nappy on and also it saves nappies and money (if you use disposables) I've never really had a problem with nappy rashes. For my next baby I will do the same.. if anyone does this I would like to know what you put down on the floor?

peanutMD Sun 30-Sep-12 01:56:14

I did when DS was not mobile so I would let him play on his mat with a few folded towels underneath to catch (most of) any mess but when he got older it want really feasible unless I wanted pee or poo everywhere!

Although when they get slightly older maybe 18m I did buy pants that he could wear around the house even for an hour a day and these did atleast catch the mess.

Ironically though he wasn't toilet trained until 3.8years and never once used the potty!

ValiumQueen Sun 30-Sep-12 14:12:04

I think this would only be an option for someone who is a SAHM. Even if i were, I doubt I would be brave enough, indeed I have never given my children nappy free time. I prefer to use cloth, and do not have much trouble with nappy rash. I personally could not live with the floor covered in bin bags with towels on top. DD2 is wanting to be nappy free at the moment, but with a baby due in. Three weeks, I cannot cope with the mess and physical challenge of potty training.

Would hard floors be a good option for you?

ValiumQueen Sun 30-Sep-12 14:13:12

They take their nappy off to go in the bath obviously grin

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Tue 02-Oct-12 12:41:16

I'm a SAHM and don't do this! while it's a nice idea to give some nappy-free time, I just don't think it's practical at all, unless me and DD hung out in the bathroom while she was nappy-less. I'm not covering my whole house in plastic and towels and then clearing up afterwards... I have enough washing to do as it is! Good on you though bellabreeze you are clearly not as lazy as me! smile

ParrotsEtEmAll Tue 02-Oct-12 12:44:13

I've never really done this blush. DS is fine, honest.

ValiumQueen Tue 02-Oct-12 12:48:15

After posting on this thread the other day, my darling DD had a nappy explosion and it was when DH was (not) watching her. Poo foot prints all over the carpet, and poo bum prints on cushions and all three parts of the suite. I initially thought you were brave bella but after that I think you are crazy! grin

londonmackem Tue 02-Oct-12 12:50:22

No, dd had half an hour before bath time until about 6 months. Ds has not as he would pee in his own face!

ValiumQueen Tue 02-Oct-12 12:54:01

It would have to be tummy time for a boy london grin I remember DD2 used to be able to fire poos at DH at an incredible angle. She would wait until the nappy was off, and then we would hear a bellowing 'not again!' and DH would have a yellow line from just under his chin to his navel. Good times grin

TittyWhistles Tue 02-Oct-12 12:59:33

I do it for 5 minutes or so, every nappy change if we are indoors, mainly to dry his bum after wiping.
He's in reusables so he's never really had nappy rash but i also do it because I love seeing his little bum wobbling about as he runs, and the joy of fresh air on his willy! grin

SarryB Wed 03-Oct-12 22:00:20

I do about 30 minutes in the morning (while I'm having breakfast!) and then again in the evening for about 30 minutes before LO has his massage.

He's never had nappy rash, and we use cloth nappies. In fact he's slept through 12 hours (how I miss those few nights!) with a cloth nappy, and still not got a rash.

NeDeLaMer Wed 03-Oct-12 22:05:26

When they are not moving, yes, for a little while on the change mat/a towel when convenient - once moving, only in the summer in the garden really <and obviously in the bath> grin I assume it feels nice for them, but it's not necessary.

steppemum Wed 03-Oct-12 22:20:54

did it until they were mobile, about 6 months old, then became impossible. never really had nappy rash, that is what sudocream is for!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now