Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Please please please solve ds's night nappy issues for me

(24 Posts)
phdlife Thu 08-Mar-12 21:50:20

Ds is 4.11 and still very wet at night. We've tried all the disposables and the only thing that's worked is putting him in the Huggies junior size and changing him before we go to bed.

Obviously this is an unconscionable solution.

We've loved airflow wraps during the day but even the largest size a) cuts into him around thighs and waist, and b) is extremely tight and uncomfortable over the amount of cloth I have to put in there.

I love my quickflip and would buy more of those (shuddering to think of o/s postage costs) IF I could find a decent wrap.

Also, his wee is pretty acrid, and I found that within two nights of cloth he was breaking out in nappy rash. So clearly I'd need a better liner than the single-thickness fleece I've been using.

Any suggestions?

phdlife Fri 09-Mar-12 21:36:04

bump

Teaandcakeplease Fri 09-Mar-12 21:38:42

Does he take water to drink to bed with him?

My DD age 4.8 I have to stop her from drinking from 6pm onwards and lift her at 10pm for a sleepy wee to help keep her drier at night. I also use a bed mat under her sheet, and usually do 3 layers, so if she does wet the bed, I can peel one layer off and there is another ready to go.

sayjay Fri 09-Mar-12 21:41:10

Hmm. Possibly the disposable with some sort of cloth/wrap over the top?
Or special needs nappies?
Would mother ease make a larger wrap for you?
Does he drink a lot at night, could you reduce output by reducing input?
Some random thoughts smile

RandomMess Fri 09-Mar-12 21:43:10

Does he drink plenty during the day, earlier on?

amistillsexy Fri 09-Mar-12 21:49:30

I'm having exactly the same probelm with my DS, same age. I think the problem is they've changed shape-they no longer have that toddler tummy so the nappy slides down and 'sits' under their tummy.
They also do such big wees that the nappy can't hold it all, so it leaks when full.
The problem isn't helped by DS regularly getting his willy out in bed and forgetting to put it away again! hmm grin.
I've tried to biggest wraps I could find with cloth nappies (mine are disana wraparounds, so one size really does fit all), but they still leak.

I use size 6 nappies and/or pyjama pants, depending what's on offer, with washable bed mats under a draw sheet (use old flat cot sheets turned sideways for draw sheets), but still need to change the bed every morning!

Any tips for actually getting them dry? (my DS doesn't have a drink after tea time, so that isn't the problem).

RandomMess Sat 10-Mar-12 16:13:00

The drinking more in the day helps the hormone that concentrates wee at night operate better, however for some dc it doesn't kick in until they are much older but I would def start upping the volume during the day.

amistillsexy Sat 10-Mar-12 18:00:47

Really, RandomMess? that's interesting. He doesn't drink alot at all. Do you think that could be why it hasn't just sorted itself out?

I've just realised he was dry at night in the Christmas hols-when I was making sure he had regular drinks. Interesting! I'll have a word at school and see if they can encourage him to drink more.

Thanks! smile

RandomMess Sat 10-Mar-12 18:23:22

I'd really try to police it. Large drink first thing in the morning, another drink when he gets to school, large drink at lunch time, drink straight after school, another drink or 2 afterwards - that type of thing he really needs to learn to drink lots and lots - easily forgotton during a school day.

QueenOfFlippingEverything Sat 10-Mar-12 18:27:40

could you try wool longies or soakers over his night nappy instead?

amistillsexy Sun 11-Mar-12 10:45:01

It's the top of the nappy where there's a problem, queen. when he gets his Willy out and forgets to tuck it back in again unless I could get them with a built in vest like old fashioned men's swimming costumes...
Wanders off to Google...
Realises she's hijacked the thread and wanders back to apologise

phdlife Sat 17-Mar-12 21:44:20

thanks for these ideas. ds has had real issues with constipation - it is so hot here (= sweaty = dehydration) - I am reluctant to fence off a large part of day with no drinks, but I'll think about it randomMess, thanks for the tip.

we did try waking him for 10pm wee but didn't find it made the slightest bit of difference.

might try the wool longies, if I can find some here.

RandomMess Sun 18-Mar-12 08:34:19

Perhaps find a resolution to the constipation? That may be contributing to the night wetting issue?

swampster Sat 24-Mar-12 21:59:08

For an easy introduction to wool, try Disana shorties from Twinkle. They are really comfy (well, DS thinks so!) and look far cuter than they do in the photos.

Size up, and don't wash them in water that's too hot by mistake. I have a super tiny pair of XXLs for my efforts.

You'll need some wool cure to lanolise but it really is no biggie.

Just air them during the day and unless they've been pooed in the can be used over and over again without stinking.

hathorinareddress Sat 24-Mar-12 22:04:22

Not much useful advice, but you could try contacting nappies by minki their wraps go pretty big and I'm sure they could make you a bigger one if you needed it - and they aren't too expensive.

swampster Sat 24-Mar-12 22:14:39

Ah, you are in Oz - get yourself some Itti Bitti Bitti Boos - they are truly fabulous and trim nappies for night time.

Babybeehinds also make great nappies for nights - I love their bamboo nappies. They used to do wool covers too but I don't think they do any more.

Here is some wool in Australia.

Ta daaaaaahhhhh! The Weewuns sell Disana covers AND Sugar Peas which are my favourite EVER fleece wraps AND Stacinator fleece wraps which are my second favourite.

<<bows>>

swampster Sat 24-Mar-12 22:16:23

blush

I read 4.11 MONTHS!

Disana XXL covers could work.

swampster Sat 24-Mar-12 22:20:49

My DS2 never had a dry night until recently when we got him an alarm - he LOVES gadgets. That has worked for us.

He is five-and-a-half. We had been using a variety of cloth pull-ups but these ones from ERIC were far and away his favourites for comfort and fit. They held a fair bit too.

phdlife Sun 01-Apr-12 13:25:28

thanks, swampster. been away for awhile - nice to come back and find so much useful info here!

swampster Sun 01-Apr-12 20:07:00

grin He's now ditched his alarm - just decided one day. It really empowered him.

phdlife Mon 02-Apr-12 06:38:32

what sort of an alarm was it?

swampster Tue 03-Apr-12 18:46:23

It's one of the ones with eight different tones that the wonderful folk at ERIC sell. I can link as I'm on my phone.

They have to want them to work for them to work but the alarm wakes them up just as they start to release a pee and they learn to recognise the sensation and wake up before it is too late.

DS2 always seemed so unconcerned about being soaking each morning I was really surprised when he leaped at the chance of trying an alarm. It gave him a lot of confidence.

swampster Tue 03-Apr-12 18:46:23

It's one of the ones with eight different tones that the wonderful folk at ERIC sell. I can link as I'm on my phone.

They have to want them to work for them to work but the alarm wakes them up just as they start to release a pee and they learn to recognise the sensation and wake up before it is too late.

DS2 always seemed so unconcerned about being soaking each morning I was really surprised when he leaped at the chance of trying an alarm. It gave him a lot of confidence.

Lildaks Thu 14-Dec-17 05:39:16

Baby Night Nappy have stylish prints that are uniquely designed for families who choose a healthy and active lifestyle.

Australian designed, [url=http://www.lildaks.com/cloth-nappies/night-nappy-covers/] night nappy [/url] is an environmentally friendly option for families choosing a healthy lifestyle.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: