Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Re-usable nappies - should I start now?

(9 Posts)
CoralRose Thu 22-Sep-11 14:02:54

DS is 4mo. Have always wanted to try washable nappies but been worried about initial cost, extra washing, and generally whether they'd be any good.

Are they better for newborns, can they be used once on solids?

As I'm sure you have already gathered I'm clueless, would really appreciate any advice/recommendations.

TIA

MurunBuchstansangur Thu 22-Sep-11 14:11:46

Much better and less messy once on solids. smile

Poo liners so can just chuck mess in bin/ toilet.
Get some 2nd hand. I wouldn't outlay a lot in case you don't like them.
Dry pail.

Only thing is that their bums are big in real nappies so you might need bigger trousers...

CoralRose Thu 22-Sep-11 14:18:09

Any particular brand I should look out for.... have reservations about 2nd hand nappies if I'm honest...

HannahChan Thu 22-Sep-11 14:45:17

I would highly recommend tots bots, we've been using them since ours was 9 months and i'm sure they have paid for themselves. Took a little while to get used to (babies tend to get left in disposables for a lot longer), but has been a LOT easier potty training (now 20 months) as she is very aware of being wet and wants out immediately! Yes poos are also fine with the liners (although once they get bigger and poos become solid they aren't so necessary.

Lots of nappies to look at on this site if you don't fancy looking for second hand. I would definitely use mine again on a second child, they don't wear out quickly at all and are very good quality:

www.cleangreennappy.co.uk

Tots Bots are good because they are extremely easy to put on, no folding, only tucking in the absorbant bit. You can get extra pads to put on if you know you can't change the nappy for a while. You can also adjust them to the size of your baby with poppers which is probably handy. And the patterns are VERY cool indeed : )

We were recommended to get 20 nappies which seems a lot, but means you can get a pretty big load in the washing machine and not have to wash too often. I wait till i'm down to 5 or 6 and then wash the rest. It's a wash twice a week or so but it doesn't seem like a hassle at all now. Esp. if you have and outdoor place to dry.

Maybe you could borrow some and see how you get along before buying your own? Also see if your council offer any grants for reusable nappies.

Hope this helps!

notcitrus Thu 22-Sep-11 15:12:27

Yes, give it a go!
Once they're on solids you'll want paper liners so can just throw poo away down the toilet - Imse Vimse was the best brand I tried. If they've jsut been weed on then the liners last for loads of washes too.

If the brand do S/M/L or size 1/2/3, you'll probably want size 2 from now until over a year, but one-size nappies will probably fit OK now too. I used to wash about twice a week. I did start using disposables at night around 1 year rather than test lots of more-absorbent solutions.

clothnappytree has forums for selling second-hand nappies, many unused or in immaculate condition, and they are so adorable!

swampster Fri 23-Sep-11 14:33:50

Have a look at a few websites like Cheeks an Cherries and Twinkle Twinkle, they do some good trial kits.

C and C trial kits (I'd avoid the Close Parent Pop-In ones like the Plague).
and Twinkle trial kits.

naturalbaby Fri 23-Sep-11 14:56:41

i have a 7month old and 2yr old in cloth and they are great when coming up to potty training, but obviously worth it at any age! i love one size pockets - bumgenius and wonderoo which are easier to get ready to use.

the 2nd hand ones i've bought off ebay don't look like they've been used at all, some have just been washed and not used at all so it's worth a look.

noyouhavehadawee Sun 25-Sep-11 12:24:47

Go for it, if you can get some 2nd hand of a friend to trial all the better, i agree once on solids its a bit tidier but i never used linersbecause its just another thing to remember, pocket nappies are quite slim and we never haveproblems getting cloths over them. Nappyzone is a mumsnetter and at my last checking if you emailed her you got 20% off your order - she also does free p and p. Hope that helps but there are loads of sites out there. Check to see if any agents local.....
Enjoy

Pingpong Mon 26-Sep-11 23:36:23

definitely try it. I only started at 6m with my first child and have saved a lot of money. I'm now using on 2nd child and have bought a lot but then sold some on as well. Believe it or not it can get a bit addictive !

Some easy to use ones to start with are Bumgenius either v3 or v4 (that is version 3 or version 4) totsbots Easyfit (go for v2 not v1) or Rumparooz Pocket Nappy.

why not buy 10 and see how you get on then you could go full time and get 10 more if you think it is worth it. You would get most of your money back if you sell on if they aren't used much.....

Just shout if you need any more help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now