Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

what do I need for going out with reusables?

(9 Posts)
iskra Wed 31-Aug-11 19:02:53

DC2 expected in a few weeks & I am determined to stick with reusables this time! What do I need for going out & about? I never had a nappy bag with DD1 but I'm wondering if it might be useful to buy a "proper" one this time round. Presumably I need some sort of wetbag to keep dirties in, anything else?

TribbleWithoutACause Wed 31-Aug-11 19:41:30

Get a large monkey foot wetbag (they're fab and well worth the money), and, dependant upon how much stuff you need to cart around a decent change bag. I use a Phil and Teds changing bag and I can fit my entire life in there. We're talking six pocket nappies, wipes, food, toys, a change of clothes and the wet bag.

The advantage of the monkey foot wet bags is that they have a zip rather than a drawstring, so any smells are contained.

TribbleWithoutACause Wed 31-Aug-11 19:42:52

Oh and get the bag ready the night before, I always found it less stressful. What reusables are you going with?

iskra Wed 31-Aug-11 19:46:53

yeah. I'm thinking that organisation is going to be key in getting out the door with the two of them!

I will look up Monkey Foot, thanks. Thinking a wee splurge is worth it since DC will be in nappies for at least 2 years...

We are going with a bit of a mixture at the mo - I already have some Totsbots in smalls that I will try, have some Motherease One Size that I used occasionally with DD (but remember them being far too big for a small baby), & am getting some terries to fill the gaps. Got lots of wraps! We inherited about 4 different systems with DD, most of which was actually beyond useful - perished elastic on legs etc - so I have just been doing some serious editing in my determination to make it work this time. Flaked out in the small baby stages & only went back a few months before potty training last time.

yellowsubmarine41 Wed 31-Aug-11 19:54:39

Does your local council do the Real Nappies £54 voucher? - if so, you can get a few new ones.

I never got round to buying a proper wet bag and have used one of those drawstring bags that Adidas trainers come in for over 4 years. I carry washable wipes in an empty cotton wood bag with a drawstring top.

Yes, to keeping the bag stocked up too. I had less leaks with cloth than paper, so didn't need loads of changes of clothes.

iskra Wed 31-Aug-11 20:14:12

No, sadly our council doesn't! With DD1 (we've just moved since) the neighbouing council did - we were metres away from that voucher, damnit!

notcitrus Wed 31-Aug-11 20:17:49

I was more of a low-maintenance version: couple nappies, pack of wipes and those little baggies that cost about 10p for 100, in carrier bag, plus clothes etc. And a couple disposables in the back of the pushchair for emergencies.
Really icky nappies got flushed a couple times and then double or triple-bagged.

Never got to grips with a nappy bag - most wouldn't fit bulky reusables.

kipperroo Wed 31-Aug-11 20:21:25

We use tots bots bamboo and microfibre with motherease and tots bots wraps. We take a wetbag with a rubberised lining. A couple of drops of tea tree oil in the bag takes care of any smells. We also use paper as well as felt liners. The paper liners are flushable so great for disposing of poo down a loo. We always take a change of clothes just in case. Have managed quite well when out and about with DD.

yellowsubmarine41 Wed 31-Aug-11 23:05:43

Oh, yes, fleece liners are great. I didn't get on with paper and always use fleece. Saves cash and you never run out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now