Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

which real nappy is right for me?

(12 Posts)
hostelgirl74 Tue 30-Aug-11 07:53:23

I am expecting my first child and planning to use real nappies but the choice is such a minefield. I was hoping that if i tell you my circumstances someone may be able to advise me which nappy would be right for me.

1) first child - do not know sex
2) would like to try and breastfeed
3) cannot line dry - need one that will dry fine/quickly in a tumble dryer
4) like cute prints!
5) do not mind whether one/two part system
6) do not really mind substance of nappy

I would appreciate your ideas/experiences, thanks.

Ishtar2410 Tue 30-Aug-11 08:01:09

We found one of the best places to start is The nappylady

They have a questionnaire you can fill in and will respond with suggestions for the system that will suit your particular circumstances.

We did this with DD then bought their suggestion second hand. The nappies we bought did both of mine and my two nephews (and who knows how many children before we bought them!).

Hope you find a system that works for you.

BikeRunSki Tue 30-Aug-11 08:05:33

I was going to sugguest the nappy lady questionnaire too.

Do yourself a favour though - use disposables for the first few weeks - apart from anything else, they grow out of size 0 very quickly!

2 part last longer than AIOs, as you can replace the outers, or wash them less often. The fabric does not stand up to so much washing as the cloth of the nappy itself.

Georgimama Tue 30-Aug-11 08:09:06

Third the suggestion of nappylady but I found (and am finding again with DD) old fashioned terry squares plus motherease outers the best thing. The terries last forever - three of the squares I have were used on my own fair bottom thirty two years ago - and can be folded in loads of different ways so they see you from newborn to toilet training. The wraps are about ten quid each new but you can get them on ebay for about four quid each and each size lasts quite some time as they are adjustable. You can use fleece liners, washable liners or flushable liners inside the terry (or nothing as I do when I forget). The wraps can't be tumbled but they come out of the machine practically dry. Terries can be tumbled.

Georgimama Tue 30-Aug-11 08:09:51

these are the wraps I mean - cute prints too.

nannyl Tue 30-Aug-11 19:01:24

i suggest you use a microfibre shaped nappy.

Something like a lollipop micro or lollipop softee or littlelamb microfibre or totsbots fluffle these will dry really fast.

It might be worth having a few bamboo nappies too for nighttime and long car journeys such as tots bamboozle stretchies the size 2 is almost a birth to potty nappy.
these take much longer to dry but absorb a lot more.

motherease wraps are fab (and fit any nappy)

I would recommend getting shaped nappies that come in 2 main sizes. although you need to buy 2 sizes, its only 2 sizes, and the size 1 fits a small baby much better than a birth to potty nappy, and the size 2 will fit a bigger child too.

Also do not buy your whole system at once... some babies are sensitive to microfibre or fleece (most arnt btw) but if yours is, it would be very annoying to have lots of nappies that affect your babies bum. Best to try out a few and check then buy more later IMO smile

you can use paper liners or fleece as a liner (and some nappies have a built in fleece liner anyway) and you can also buy boosters for extra absirbancy when needed so can experiment with different fabrics. Bamboo / Hemp are very absorbant but so slow to dry, but slim fitting. Cotton is sort of in the middle, a bit bulky, not that absorbant, and takes a reasonable amount of time to dry. Micro fibre is super quick drying but not quite as absorbant as other fabrics.

ThePetiteMummy Tue 30-Aug-11 22:19:48

I think everything's already been answered for you, but just wanted to agree that it's probably best not to get a whole 'system' until you've had a chance to try out a few on your baby for real and get an idea of what you like. I know it's tempting to have them all ready before the little one arrives, but this can be an expensive mistake. I bought a whole set before dd was born, but ended up selling them and getting another brand entirely, as they were just stupidly bulky on her petite frame. However, if you do decide to go for it, there's a great market for second hand cloth nappies.

Cloth nappies are lots of fun, enjoy! Dd is now 17 months, and wears Itti Bitti snap in ones (soooo cute and fluffy) and Bumgenius, both of which perform really well, and I feel sad that she'll stop wearing them at some point!

xlatia Sun 11-Sep-11 00:22:19

I'm in the same situation as OP, apart from the fact that I know I'll be having a boy (can't be sure until the little one will be born, tho grin)

Read loads of good things about Bumgenius but don't you find the soaking tedious? Am tempted to go for 2 part system for that exact reason.

nannyl Sun 11-Sep-11 08:37:20

xlatia

im pretty sure you dont have to soak bumgenius (or any other nappy)

dry pailing is much better IMO, with a rinse in the machine before the proper wash. (yes soaking is pretty grim!)
I cant imagine the BG outers lasting as long if they are soaked?

(though someone may correct me)

NappyShedSal Sun 11-Sep-11 22:29:04

No, you mustn't soak BG - or any other all-in-one or wrap.

I would aways recommend pop'n'gro V2 BTP nappies - very quick drying and very very reliable.

xlatia Mon 12-Sep-11 12:14:44

oh right, i thought that BG must be soaked!

thanks for the info guys, that opens up a lot of options as far as makes are concerned!

cerealqueen Mon 03-Oct-11 23:17:33

I've nothing much more to add, I've loved using washables.

Get your DP on board, there are some nappies which they may prefer (My DP couldn't get on with the two part nappies, he always forgot the wrap)

Dry pail (we used a huge flip top bin with a net liner which goes in the machine too).

Fleece liners have been fab, you can make your own with a length of fleece off Ebay, it doesn't fray so just cut to fit!

Have some pocket nappies in your collection as you can stuff anything in them, eg., terry tea towels and microfibre cloths when desperate!!

Lots of nappies don't reach full absorbency till they have been washed many times, eg hemp, bamboo, microfibre so you need to be aware of that.

You may get addicted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now