Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Can't get rid of pee smell from Bumgenius!

(8 Posts)
ZucchiniPie Fri 26-Aug-11 16:04:06

I've tried everything - using very little detergent; cold wash first with no detergent, etc. - but I cannot get the pee smell out of my Bumgenius nappies, particularly the outer layer. I use a hemp booster with the Bumgenius microfibre one, and funnily enough - even though they're the bit that absorbs most of the pee - the hemp ones come out smelling fine. The microfibre boosters come out pretty much ok (though not completely fresh) and then, as I say, it's the waterproof outer which I just can't get to smell clean. I've been using them for about 18 months.

Any top tips? Thanks!

nannyl Fri 26-Aug-11 22:36:59

i was given a load of nappies that smelt really bad of pee.
also some wraps / boosters and a wet bag that all had the same smell.

This worked for me and i was shocked at how well it worked... the whole load came out as new....

i soaked them in a bucket of water with a splash of vingar...... maybe 50mls is to a 13 litre bucket of water for 3 hours
i then soaked them over night in a napisan solution. (1tbsp in the whole bucket)

I washed them at 60 with napisan and a TINY amount of ariel BIOLOGICAL powder, and used the extra rinse setting on my machine

i then did 2 more rinses in the machine

i hung them to dry in the sunshine and they were good as new afterwards smile also some had some poo stains that looked like they had been and would be there for ever, and (with the sunshine) every hint of poo stain vanished too.

(they smelt so strong before i wanted to try every tip in 1 go!!!!)

ZucchiniPie Sat 27-Aug-11 16:16:40

That's brilliant! I'm going to do what you did and try everything in one go - the nuclear option!! Stupidly I hadn't even thought of napisan... Or vinegar, which is great on everything actually - just used it (hot) to get years of tarnish off a brass door knocker and it worked a treat!

Thanks again :-)

TribbleWithoutACause Sun 28-Aug-11 18:25:40

I always strip mine using a dishwater tablet in one wash, then I used some washing up liquid in the next wash (same load) then I rinse a few times and stick them outside for a good long while.

ZucchiniPie Tue 30-Aug-11 16:53:20

Can you put dishwasher tablets and washing up liquid in a washing machine? Don't want to bugger up my machine (we're in a rental)!!

ThePetiteMummy Tue 30-Aug-11 22:09:58

I too have been struggling with the smell of pee, in both my BG and Itti inserts. I'd tried the usual washing up liquid strip wash, which helped a bit, but as per the suggestion above, I think I've cracked it!

After the usual wash in a little non-bio last night, I took out the PUL outers from the machine, leaving only the inners, then did another wash at 60 with 1 bio tablet (no vinegar soaks or anything). I then did an extra rinse afterwards.

My nappies actually came out smelling fresh for the first time ever! I plan to do the same with the other half of my stash tomorrow, excited! <needs to get out more>

For the record, my usual nappy wash routine is a plain rinse, followed by a 40 degree wash with a small amount of non bio, and occasionally a little Miofresh to kill germs.

TribbleWithoutACause Wed 31-Aug-11 08:36:38

Zuc I've done it and my machine is still standing, if you think about whats in washing up powder compared to dishwasher tabs and washing up liquid they're not that much different really. I mean you have to eat off of things that you use tabs and washing up liquid on so I reckon it should be ok.

ZucchiniPie Sun 04-Sep-11 10:36:16

I'm sure you're right - it's just I saw someone put washing up liquid in a dishwasher once and it broke the machine! Bubbles ALL over the floor :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now