Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

I want to go back to reusables!

(6 Posts)
StoneBaby Thu 25-Aug-11 19:44:49

DS has been in reusables from 6 weeks old until 2 months ago. I had to put him into disposables because of a bleeding nappy rash combined with thrush.
His bum is now fine (except for some scars) but it seems to get red quite quickly if he goes back into his BG.
Also I think nursery who did not have any issues using them prior to that rash, are now worried about them.

What should I do to make sure he goes back into his reusables without any problems? Should I strip wash them (they always get wash at 60C anyway)?

nannyl Thu 25-Aug-11 21:47:07

definitely strip wash them first.

Pingpong Sun 28-Aug-11 12:22:10

Stripping sounds like a good plan.
How about using a barrier cream as a preventative measure if he is prone to a sore bottom - your cloth nappies will be fine as long as you use a fleece liner. Then if there is build up on the liners you can easily replace them (chop up cheap fleece blanket) or you can soak them in a washing up liquid solution to dissolve the grease.

StoneBaby Mon 29-Aug-11 08:09:10

Thanks for your answers. I have stripped wash them with a bit of bleach and he has been wearing them now for 2 days and his bum is dine at the moment. I use a barrier cream too but without the fleece liner as it rubs on his bum and make it sore.

Spagbolagain Mon 29-Aug-11 08:17:27

Please can you explain how to strip wash? I have itti bittis and I think I need to do this. Thanks

nannyl Mon 29-Aug-11 11:12:17

this is how i strip washed mine the other week

copy and pasted from another thread...

This worked for me and i was shocked at how well it worked... the whole load came out as new....

i soaked them in a bucket of water with a splash of vingar...... maybe 50mls is to a 13 litre bucket of water for 3 hours
i then soaked them over night in a napisan solution. (1tbsp in the whole bucket)

I washed them at 60 with napisan and a TINY amount of ariel BIOLOGICAL powder, and used the extra rinse setting on my machine

i then did 2 more rinses in the machine

i hung them to dry in the sunshine and they were good as new afterwards also some had some poo stains that looked like they had been and would be there for ever, and (with the sunshine) every hint of poo stain vanished too.

(they smelt so strong before i wanted to try every tip in 1 go!!!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now