Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

upset and dont know what to do :(

(9 Posts)
peachybums Tue 09-Aug-11 20:49:06

I have used washables on both DDs from birth and have had little problems. About 2 mths ago DD2 got terrible nappy rash which clears up a little then comes back, sometimes is so sore it bleeds.

We recently went on holiday and i used disposables on DD2 as DP refused to go with washables as we had no way of washing them. Her nappy rash cleared up compleatly within 2 days and didnt return for the whole holiday. We were only home 3 days and the rash came back (using washables) ive tried strip washing the nappies and changing washing powder but the rash hasnt cleared up. DP is convinced there are not keeping her dry enough and that they are causing the rash. Ive tried extra boosters but the rash is still there!

DP is now insisting we use disposables all the time, he is upset too as hed prefer to use washables but doesnt want DD to have this rash. Weve been using disposables for the last 48 hours and already its clearing up, It really was a nasty rash! I never had this problem with DD1 Is there anything i can do or am i just going to have to carry on with the disposables? sad

anniemac Wed 10-Aug-11 12:02:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PoppyDoolally Wed 10-Aug-11 12:20:41

Hello I feel your pain! It's horrible for then when a rash takes hold.

I use little lamb bamboo with fleece liners. They really help to keep DS's bits an bottom dry. But for a while I had an issue with chafing redness-on the tops of the legs where the elastic joins.

Basically I used disps for a week and the rash went, like you. When we tried again, another rash.

So, my advice is:

Put all nappies through a rinse cycle.

Then wash every nappy on 60 using a bio detergent. (sounds counterintuitive as I've always used nonbio , but give it ago). no water softener tablets either. Use less powder than the packet says. I use one tablet for a whole load and half a tablet for a half load.

Make sure that the cycle is the longest on your washing machine. I used to select the 40 cycle but it was only an hour and a half whereas if I choose the White cotton cycle I can adjust the temp down to 60 (or 40 for wraps) but get a longer cycle.

Then rinse in just water again. No bubbles should be seen.

Do same with fleece liners and wraps. Be careful though some wraps shouldn't go above 40.

Then try again with your little one. My DS hasn't had his rash since. I think it was detergent/ammonia build up. but washing everything at higher temp should also kill and thrush or fungal stuff too but as the rash cleared on your holiday it's probably not that.

Finally, Give your LO lot of nappy free time. Change nappy frequently too- I sit LO on a potty regularly to catch a pee here and there and that tends to extend the wear of a nappy for up to an hour. I also don't use wraps at home - just the nappy - and no bottoms as this means I'm more vigilant about when he needs changing.

Hope it improves, it's gutting when it happens but all is not lost.

PoppyDoolally Wed 10-Aug-11 12:22:26

I should add wait till the rash has clears first as you will not want to risk irritating it should the steps not work.

anniemac Wed 10-Aug-11 12:35:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nannyl Wed 10-Aug-11 17:46:33

agree with fleece liners... or even silk liners (soaked in chamomile tea)

Id suggest strip washing the nappies again.... i was given some nappies... i soaked in weak vinegar for 4 hours, napisan over night, washed at 60 with a tiny amount of bio + napisan and then did 3 extra rinses....

they are like different nappies now

greycircles Wed 10-Aug-11 17:54:16

Reusables make your DD so sore that she bleeds. You need to use disposables.

There is no need for you to feel upset about it - you have tried the environmentally friendly option and it is hurting your DD.

BikeRunSki Wed 10-Aug-11 18:03:39

I used cloth nappies most of the time, with the odd disposable, but really you need to step away from your heart and think with your head.

Your DD is suffering.
Disposables stop her suffering.
You need to use disposables - would an eco-friendly bamboo, non-chemical one make you feel better? We used these Bambo Nature, pricey, but very absorbent.

ziggyf Thu 11-Aug-11 11:57:39

Oh crikey, go for the disposables. I'd be gutted too but if you've tried a few times and your DD is suffering then you've got to do it. As someone else said, go for the more eco friendly nappies if that makes you feel happier - I use them when we go away now as I can't be faffed with taking a stash of washables with me. I would never have done that with DS1!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now