Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Am I mad to want to change to reusables at this stage?

(16 Posts)
hanbee Mon 08-Aug-11 22:40:51

Hi

I have two DSs aged 2y 10 m and 10m respectively. Have always want not to use disposables but DH not keen. DS1 has special needs and so is likely to be in nappies for at least another year. He is slim and weighs 13.8kg. DS2 chunkier at about 9kg. I now have support at home from my mum and would really like to move to reusables but wonder if it's too late?

Is there a nappy that will fit both my dcs? I know lots say up to 35lbs but will they really fit a four yr old? Will I just be wasting money changing at this stage?

BikeRunSki Mon 08-Aug-11 22:51:53

My DS is tall and skinny and grew out of his reusables (Kushies Ultra) at about 20 months, can't remember weight, but far less than the upper limit given, around 35lb. I'd say he was nearer 28 lbs. The problem was his height, they barely covered his bum. I took advice from here and The Nappy Lady website and tried some longer reusables (Bambinex Easy Comfort) which were still too short in the length and leaked like a sieve.

Have a look at the Nappy Lady who has a questionnaire about your lifestyle and babies and can advise on which nappy might suit you best. There's also a list of Councils that subsidise cloth nappies.

hanbee Tue 09-Aug-11 17:46:24

Thanks. I've filled in the on line questionnaire. I also filled a similar one on the Fill Your Pants website and was recommended trying Smartipants or Flip. Do you have any thoughts on these?

BikeRunSki Tue 09-Aug-11 18:00:01

Sorry, I have never used either.

TheFrozenMBJ Tue 09-Aug-11 18:03:16

I really like my Flips. They work very well for such a simple nappy, however, I'd suggest you use the organic cotton inserts rather than the micro fibre as I'm nit sure that the micro fibre would be able to deal with big toddler wees

AppleAndBlackberry Tue 09-Aug-11 19:52:51

I would say it's probably worth it even if you just use them on the younger one. I would also recommend buying second hand if you can find the ones you want (though not always easy) because they tend to have tonnes of wear left in them but save you even more money.

AppleAndBlackberry Tue 09-Aug-11 19:53:44

Oh and my favourite are Fuzzibunz.

TheFrozenMBJ Tue 09-Aug-11 19:58:12

Yes, my favourite are my Fuzzibunz too but I wonder if they will go to 4 years old.

TribbleWithoutACause Tue 09-Aug-11 20:12:21

For larger babies fuzzi bunz and real easys do large and extra larges. They're both stuffable as well so you can increase the absorbancy. You can always stuff the fuzzis with the flip organix inserts, they're really absorbant. You can always go over to clothnappytree and put out a wanted ad.

nannyl Wed 10-Aug-11 08:34:12

Large motherease sandies... 8kg - 17kg.

and if they outgrow the larger todder ease (same nappy, different name) go from 16kg - 20kg.

As well as being poppered nappies that you can boost etc they can be pulled up and down like a pant which might be useful later.

hanbee Thu 11-Aug-11 11:40:13

Thanks everyone. Had a look at the fuzzibunz and they look a definite contender. DH not keen on 2 part nappies so trying to avoid those needing separate wraps.

Off to get some trial nappies now grin

hanbee Thu 11-Aug-11 17:14:17

Have a smartipants, flip and fuzzi buns on the way to try out! Thanks everyone!

slackdan Thu 11-Aug-11 21:48:33

Hi Hanbee, well done for taking the plunge.

It's never too late! We love reusables.

We've been using reusables for about 2.5 years. We've got a real mix (BumGenius, Fuzzibunz, Lollipop, PopnGro etc.). I would say that with our DD1, at 2y5m & 30lbs+, she is reaching the limit of the Fuzzibunz & BumGenius - great though they have been.

Our favourites are the PopnGro pockets. Their performance has been every bit as good as the others but more importantly, the size 2 version still has loads of growing room left in them.

Recently, while getting a few more nappies now that DD2 has arrived, we found Hunnybums which is a terrific website. Quite new we think but loads of clear info sheets to download/print, video demos for each nappy & an online 'personal shopper' which gives a shortlist after asking a few questions. We found them very helpful.

HTH

AngelDog Wed 17-Aug-11 22:08:14

DS is only 19 m.o. but already weighs 34lbs (height & weight are both 99.6th centile, I think). Large Fuzzis fit (not quite on the loosest leg settings yet) and extra large Fuzzis are too big for him.

I agree that microfibre probably won't be able to cope with toddler wees.

amistillsexy Wed 17-Aug-11 22:19:22

I've used these for 3 Dss, at one point all 3 at once! I'm still using them for my (tall, skinny) 4 year old at night. They are cheap, organic, wash easily and dry quickly. You can use them with felted wool or fleece wraps, or with any kind of PLU outer. I use Disana's own inners, and they've always been absorbant enough. I also think they're really cute!

hanbee Thu 18-Aug-11 21:28:48

Hi guys

Am off and running with my nappies now. Managed to buy a whole collection of fuzzibunz from the real nappy project in my area for a fiver each and have some flip nappies too. Find that all of them work fine if I change every 3 hours and overnight i use the organic cotton flip pads. Thanks for your help!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now