Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Advice re: night time reusables/leaking

(8 Posts)
rocketleaf Wed 27-Jul-11 16:20:07

DD is 2 months old. I have been using Little Lambs inners (microfibre for day and organic cotton for night) and I've got some Thirsties (size 1) and some Motherease (size S) wraps. Until 2 weeks ago everything seemed fine but then I had to go back to disposables for about 10 days as our washing machine broke.

Now I am back using the washables, I am having a couple of problems.

Firstly they seem to be leaking more round the waist. I am not sure if this is because DD has grown out of the wraps as it seems be that the wee is wicking up the binding especially on the Thirsties which it very snuggly over the nappy. Or do I need to change more often that the 3 hourish intervals she feeds. This is especially a problem at night as I am very lucky in that DD sleeps from around 8 pm, through to 4-5 am. Last night I had to get her up at 1.30 because the nappy had leaked. I have tried adding an extra booster but DD seems really uncomfortable in them due to the bulk especially in this hot weather (I guess she has got used to the disposable!)

So I am looking for advice on a few things before I start shelling out more cash. Do I just need new/larger wraps and will this fix the leakage problem and make things more comfortable for DD? Any recommendations on the best wraps, I am thinking Motherease next size up. Any other advice?

fraktious Wed 27-Jul-11 16:25:08

My wrap of choice is ME airflow and you may need to move up a size. One thing which can cause wicking is if the label is sticking out the back. We learnt that the hard way!

rocketleaf Wed 27-Jul-11 20:40:51

Thanks fraktious a few other people have recommended those so will check them out. Hopefully be able to borrow and try out.

Pingpong Wed 27-Jul-11 22:43:24

a wrap will leak if the nappy is absolutely saturated and there is nowhere else for the liquid to go - sounds to me like an extra booster and a bigger wrap is needed for night time.
or a bamboo nappy? - little lamb do them as well.
I like motherease rikki wraps - they have a double gusset which I think is great.

rocketleaf Thu 28-Jul-11 10:09:40

Thanks Smac - Rikki is what the nappy lady recommended, I should have listened! I have some bamboo boosters so I think one of those with the cotton nappy and a bigger wrap will hopefully sort it, if not then i'll try the bamboo little lambs. The main reason i didn't go for those was drying time as we don't have a tumble dryer or much hanging space but a few for night times shouldn't be a problem.

Pingpong Thu 28-Jul-11 14:31:10

yes the drying time of the bamboo ones is a down side but if your baby is sleeping through til 4-5am then she may well need bamboo <smac is slightly envy at thought of small baby sleeping so much - mine never did that !>

rocketleaf Thu 28-Jul-11 20:19:27

I know! I can't quite believe my luck!

Pingpong Fri 29-Jul-11 12:23:46

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now