Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

cloth nappies at nursery, how does it work?

(24 Posts)
MamaChocoholic Wed 06-Jul-11 20:22:18

our dts will be going to nursery in a couple of months. we use fitted nappies (little lambs) at the moment, and they will probably be ready to go up to the next size before they start nursery. but I realised that means they will be here only 2 days a week sad is it still worth doing cloth just at the weekend? or how does it work with nursery and cloth nappies? I am prepared to ask them, but would welcome any advice on the best style of nappy to buy (ie simplest for nursery to use whilst still being quick drying), how you work out making sure there are enough cloth at nursery, how you deal with the washing. bit worried about having the time to wash with twins and being full time back at work too.

anyone been there, done that, and want to tell me how?

WishIWasRimaHorton Wed 06-Jul-11 20:26:26

i haven't done it with twins but have done it successfully with my singletons. i send a bag in each day with fresh nappies in and they send a bag home with the dirty ones. i then need to do a wash every couple of days. drying isn't a problem at this time of year but in the winter occasionally i needed to tumble dry. i have motherease birth to potty ones and they tumble dry ok, although i try to avoid doing it as not very environmentally friendly and also not ideal for the nappies.

it also depends on how old the twins are. when they are babies you need loads of nappies; when they get to toddlerdome and poo less, you can get away with 3-ish a day in the nursery bag. you could always send a few disposables in, in case they ran out of reusables, i guess.

not sure that will really help tho.

CMOTdibbler Wed 06-Jul-11 20:32:24

The nurseries ds went to (we moved when he was 14 months) were totally happy to do cloth nappies - even folded terries !

I put 5 nappies a day (I was using Mothease one size) in his bag , plus they had 2 in a bag for emergencies that lived there. Used ones, they flushed the liner, then bunged the nappy in the wet bag. When I got in at night, I undid the drawstring and chucked the whole bag in the washing machine (no need to unpack)
As MEOS are dead cheap second hand, I had 25 of them, so no washing pressure

notcitrus Wed 06-Jul-11 20:34:24

I didn't have twins, but would leave 4 nappies each day in ds's bag, either all-in-ones or pre-stuffed, and they kept liners and some spare disposables on his shelf with his wipes. They do three changes a day unless there's unscheduled poo or leaks!
And each night I'd take away three stink bombs in baggies. Then do a wash every couple days.

I looked at second-hand nappy sites like clothnappytree and got loads of nappies, to solve the drying problem. With 20 or so (about a dozen that are easy+fit well), I didn't need to resort to disposables.

PorkChopSter Wed 06-Jul-11 20:34:59

I've done it with 3 DC in 2 nurseries. Big bag with 4 nappies plus 2 spare wraps (plus spare disposable, but figure if they've gone through that many nappies the nursery will want you to collect) plus wet nappy bag. I've also done reusable wipes with last 2 DC. Nursery did not bat an eyelid.

What do you think will be so different when you are back at work? It's the same amount of washing... put a load on when you get in, out on a dryer overnight/in TD. If you run out of dry nappies or CBA, have a disposable day.

Hevster Wed 06-Jul-11 20:35:30

much the same as everyone else but I send 5 bumgenius as they are easy and quick drying

MamaChocoholic Wed 06-Jul-11 21:58:20

babies will be 1yo exactly (but I'm still calling them babies for a while yet!) I only change every 6 hours plus poo times, so get through about 10 every 2 days at the moment. I guess they will change more often at nursery and I'm panicking about being back at work, and how little time I'll have, but I know I will just find time.

good to hear so many have managed with lots of nurseries. will check with nursery whether they have a preference on nappy type, would rather stick with a two part system for quicker drying. I suppose I can treat this as a chance to buy a monkeyfoot wetbag grin then send it in with 10 nappies per day (which is about a full wash, so will have to wash daily).

DuelingFanjo Wed 06-Jul-11 21:59:45

some nurseries will charge because they have to store the nappies as hazardous waste iirc.

MamaChocoholic Wed 06-Jul-11 22:01:00

really? I could just put a hazchem sticker on the wetbag! will ask re their policy.

DuelingFanjo Wed 06-Jul-11 22:02:49

I may be wrong, I was told this by someone but maybe it's just some nurseries trying to make a bit of cash!

FessaEst Wed 06-Jul-11 22:05:32

I know someone who negotiated a discount at her nursery fro sending her DD in cloth!

My DD doesn't go to nursery, but our CM was sceptical at first, but hasn't had many problems with our cloth nappies. (I did have to change from fleece liners to disposable as she used to send the poo home!).

I send 3-4 pre-made up nappies with DD, plus she has a disposable in her clothes change bag that lives there. I send a fresh MonkeyFoot wetbag folded in her changing bag, and it comes home with the dirties in. I don't wash anymore than normal, just keep that bag zipped until the next wash goes on. I have bought all DD's nappies used from CNT and have loads, so the drying is not an issue, even in winter.

(I have found BG nappies go down the best/are the easiest to pre-make and pack for the CM)

MamaChocoholic Wed 06-Jul-11 22:15:54

our nursery is lovely DF, hopefully won't charge for hazchems!

FE, I think the washing will go up because I change so infrequently now - I use a bamboo booster so get through just 2-3 nappies per day per baby. I suspect nursery will be more like 4-5. haven't tried any BG nappies but I know lots of people love them. do they dry well? perhaps I'll get one in to trial. oh and all my nappies are CNT too grin

appplepie Wed 06-Jul-11 22:21:26

I found that a box of chocs at Xmas and end of year thanking them and acknowledging the extra effort of cloth nappies went down well...

I kept a basket at nursery with lots of terries, wraps, pins etc and spare clothes in case of leaks. They used as necessary and sent home dirties in nappy bags. They were patient and were enthusastic to use clothe and I was patient if it went wrong and there were severla changes of clothes.

ANd most importantly if I was having a hard washing week I sent in a few disposables and tried not to feel guilty.

And when I opened little nappy sacks filled with smelly pooey nappies, maybe one that had got lost in the bottom of a carrier that DH got home.... i held my nose and tried to rememeber I was saving a fortune smile

FessaEst Wed 06-Jul-11 22:28:25

I was using little lambs with bamboo boosters, but have gradually picked up BGs as they have come up on CNT. I find them easy to dry, as you take all the innards out, and you can put as many inserts in as you want (including using the LL bamboo if you want), so no real reason for them to be changed more often. (DD wears a lot of tunic-type tops and leggings to cover her huuuge paddy bottom!!) grin

You may find that they don't change that often as nursery - if they are mostly used to disposables, they will not generally need to change v often and just do a check every so often and leave if no poo. Maybe worth asking on the nursery threads?

flowerfairy Thu 07-Jul-11 12:07:32

My ds used fuzzibunz at nursery, i sent each one ready with the liner inside and clean in a bag each day and then returned with a wet bag of nappies. Although ds didn't go to nursery every day they wer easy to dry as the insert part came out and outer were often dried on the tank in the winter.

blackteaplease Thu 14-Jul-11 13:08:12

I send dd in reusables and have done since she started at 1. Nursery absolutely happy to use them. I send her in with 4 clean bumgenius with liners inside and they generally use 3 of them.

I agree with FessaEst, I've had problems with them not changing often enough, but a little reminder that they need to check more frequently is fine.

As an aside, what nappies are you using that last for 6 hours? I can't leave dd more than 3 hours before she leaks (apart from overnight obviously).

MamaChocoholic Thu 14-Jul-11 20:20:14

good to hear blacktea.

I use cotton little lambs size 1, with a folded bamboo booster (size 2, also from little lambs). then a fleece liner to keep skin dry. no leaks (unlike in disposables). except when I don't put the cover on right blush

MamaChocoholic Thu 14-Jul-11 20:22:44

ps they are only 9mo yet, so perhaps not producing quite as much wee as your over 1yo?

RitaMorgan Thu 14-Jul-11 20:26:07

Mine goes in Itti Bittis (I have a few just for nursery as they are simple and long lasting) - he does 9am-1pm and gets changed twice usually. I send 3 nappies in with his bag in the morning, and they come back to me individually wrapped in nappy bags.

The only thing the nursery insisted on was disposable liners instead of fleece - they don't have a toilet in the nappy changing area so couldn't dispose of solids, they wanted to be able to bag up the liner and chuck it.

Alicadabra Thu 14-Jul-11 20:46:21

I sent my 1yo to nursery in Bumgenius with disposable liners (they didn't ask for the disposable liners but I wanted to make it as straightforward for them as poss - as RitaMorgan says, the nappy change area isn't always near the toilet - and I definitely didn't want to get the poo sent home!)

I sent in 5 ready-stuffed nappies each day and usually got 4 dirties back, which just got rolled into my usual nappy-and-clothes-washing routine.

blackteaplease Sat 16-Jul-11 13:44:28

She's always leaked after about 2/3 hours MamaChocoholic, I'm used to it now. She does still breastfeed a lot so is taking in a lot of fluids.

BranchingOut Sun 31-Jul-11 09:37:52

We are about to start nursery and use BGs. I would still like to keep using them but am a bit worried about the whole liner/poo issue.

Which liners did you use? I have some Mio liners and just tried one, but it seemed to be the wrong size/shape and rather fiddly.

cookielove Sun 31-Jul-11 09:56:18

Sorry i skipped to the end, but read a few posts along the way, so i apologise if i repeat anything previously said, but from a nursery nurses point of view, we have no issue using cloth nappies of any kind, in recent years we haven't had any, but a few years back we had around 6 in all different sorts.

Originally the parents use to use fleece liners, but we progressed onto the flush away ones, which all the parents seem quite happy to use.

smile

Blainey78 Thu 03-Aug-17 18:31:56

I've just started with reusable nappies and I bought yellow bloom. I tried my little girl in one today and the nappy leaked while she was napping. She had the nappy on for max 3 hours. How do I stop it leaking? And what's the difference between a booster and a liner please x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now