Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nappy popping open - any advice?

(4 Posts)
duckymum Mon 04-Jul-11 07:57:20

Just wondering if anyone has got any ideas on a problem we are having at the moment.

We have used terry squares fastened with a nappy nippa for both DC and been very happy with this until just recently, where DH and I have been finding the nippa isn't holding the nappy together and keeps popping off. No real disasters so far as wrap has contained it all, but can't imagine it is too comfortable.

DH thought that the nippa might not be pointy enough any more, but I don't see how this could be (still flipping hurts if you kneel on one by mistake!).
I think it is more to do with the pile of the terry nappy being a bit more flat now that they're getting on a bit (used about 2.5 years for DD and 6 months or so for DS - we used disposables for the first 3-4 months with him blush )

Has anyone else had these problems - is there any chance we could fluff up the nappies a bit, or do we have to buy nappy pins? (Don't really want to buy a whole new set of nappies)

Thanks for your help!

Hevster Mon 04-Jul-11 12:02:04

you could try fluffing the nappies in a tunmble drier? Never used a nippa so not any help on that bit sorry

duckymum Tue 05-Jul-11 08:23:46

Thanks - we do tumble sometimes, although trying to make the most of warm weather at the moment.

Might try washing with no detergent in case we have a soap build up which is "sticking" the loops down. Clutching at straws...

Cumbrianlass2 Sun 10-Jul-11 00:33:35

Strip washing them is a good move, if they are just cotton terry try using a slug of white vinegar in the was drawer to help remove and residue.

Another good softner/fluffer is rain water - if you dont live in Scotland like me this may be in short supply right now, but you can try leaving them hung up in a rain shower, or better still if you have a water butt fill a bucket, dunk them and leave them to soak for a while and then spin in the machine.

Rather than tumbling the whole cycle, wait until almost dry and then bung them in the tumble for 10 mins at the end. If you get a couple of those dryer balls they can help raise the nap too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now