Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Disposable for night-time for toddler?

(16 Posts)
AngelDog Tue 28-Jun-11 14:05:25

I normally use cloth nappies but want to use some disposables on holiday. Can anyone recommend any good leakproof ones for night-time?

When I do use disposables, I get Sainsbury's own brand. They almost always leak at night, and even during a 2 hour nap.

I wouldn't have said that DS was a particularly heavy wetter, although he does bf at least once a night. He's 18 months and 98th centile for weight / height, with very chubby legs and a pot belly (the nappy usually sits underneath the overhang. smile) He sleeps on his stomach.

peachybums Tue 28-Jun-11 21:35:40

Will be watching this as we need to buy for holidays too. I had my heart set on eco disposables but a few friends have informed me they leak on a night and DD2 is a champion widdler lol.

I used pampers on DS1 but now i know how they are made i dont think il be using them now sad

AngelDog Wed 29-Jun-11 22:43:27

Quite a few people I've asked IRL have recommended Pampers. What's the issue with how they're made?

Other people have said Sainsbury's eco nappies, Huggies and Tesco, but I think it partly depends on how well a particular brand fits your LO's shape.

A couple of people suggested that I might have been using too small a size. I'm trying a Tesco nappy tonight in a bigger size. If it's going to leak, I want to find out at home rather than when I'm on a campsite without laundry facilities!

AngelDog Thu 30-Jun-11 08:21:44

The Tesco size 5 lasted till 1.30am... hmm

nannyl Sat 02-Jul-11 11:23:08

what about buying some mothercare disposable nappy inserts to line a normal disposable nappy?

FetchezLaVache Sat 02-Jul-11 11:30:36

I use cloth, but I always put DS in a disposable at night. Every nappy I tried leaked at first, but then I came to the conclusion I was just shit at putting them on. blush Well, they're a lot harder than cloth ones! I'm a lot better at it now and he hasn't leaked for ages (*tempting fate emoticon*). Anyway, FWIW I use either Aldi or Lidl's own brand- they're cheap and fab.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 02-Jul-11 11:32:03

Lidl size 5 lasted us, almost always leak free, up until DS was 3.6

colditz Sat 02-Jul-11 11:40:02

I always liked morrison's own. theyre about 3.50 a packet and I fuond them very absorbant.

Paschaelina Sat 02-Jul-11 12:30:57

Nature Baby are the only make so far to contain my son's champion wees overnight. They're bloody expensive though at six quid a packet. Absolutely every other brand in existence has failed.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sat 02-Jul-11 12:40:18

any chance you can get friends to give you one of whatever they use to try? often when dd1 (now aged 4, 91st centile ,and still a heavy night wetter) has a growth spurt, and her shape changes, i have to change the brand of her nappy to get a better fit. We're currently on huggies - before that it was pampers, and tesco before that.

dd2 leaks in huggies, so she's on pampers.

blackteaplease Thu 14-Jul-11 13:10:46

On occasion I use sainbury's own brand (it's a green packet) and they have lasted overnight with no problems.

Pampers Active fit (purple packet?) on the other hand leaked in the middle of the night so I'd avoid those.

AngelDog Sat 16-Jul-11 14:34:33

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I tried Tesco, Sainsbury's and Pampers which all leaked 100% of the time. In the end we used Huggies which only leaked 50% of the time. hmm.

Sometimes the problem is just too much wee. Other times it leaks for some other reason. I'm sure user error could be a factor - although they've leaked without being completely saturated when DH has put them on too, so it's not just me. wink

We're away for another week later in the summer and will be doing disposable in the day but cloth at night. I'm not risking another holiday of having to hand-wash bedding every other day!

PurpleCrazyHorse Sat 16-Jul-11 23:45:19

A rookie error we made with disposable nappies is forgetting to run your finger around the leg holes to make sure the edging is not caught folded back under the elastic. DH forgets to do this and they do then leak. Are you also using the right size nappy?

We love Tesco nappies and also use Morrisons too (when we're away or I'm too backed up with washing to use washables).

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 16-Jul-11 23:54:31

Seriously, try the Lidl ones

Hevster Sun 17-Jul-11 07:48:16

we only use disposables at night and the only ones that generally see DD2 through are nature baby

AngelDog Mon 18-Jul-11 21:43:58

Thanks.

We make sure the frilly bits are out. I think we're on the right size - it's the biggest size that supposedly fits his weight. When I've tried smaller sizes I've had a job to do them up properly.

No Lidl near here unfortunately.

Our washing machine is poorly sick at the moment so we're on disposables by day, but I'm still reluctant to brave it again at night! wink I might try Nature Babies though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now