Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

hard/rough nappy question

(7 Posts)
KateeTheBump Mon 20-Jun-11 16:32:34

A question for the wise MNer cloth nappy users out there...

I have been given some motherease nappies and bought some second hand bamboozles. I've washed them a couple of times on a 40 degree wash and line dried - is there any way of getting them soft? I live in a hard water area, so don't know if that's the problem but they seem quite hard and rough, and even with a fleece liner would be worried about putting them on a new born.

Any tips gratefully received! smile

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Mon 20-Jun-11 16:34:04

You could try white vinegar in the final rinse.
Or, if you have one, bung them in the tumble dryer for 10 mins to fluff them up when they're almost dry.

HackedOffAndHaressed Mon 20-Jun-11 19:11:11

Put them out in the rain, the rain water isn't hard like your tap water and it really helps.

swampster Mon 20-Jun-11 19:51:18

Soda crystals in the rinse can help soften them up, a quick tumble works wonders.

KateeTheBump Mon 20-Jun-11 22:23:47

Thanks! Do have a tumble dryer, and baby due in October, so probably won't be line drying then... frozen nappies anyone? grin Will see if a tumble makes a difference. If I use vinegar... how much?

Also would something like calgon/water softener help? I shall investigate...

vtechvoyager Mon 20-Jun-11 22:49:57

A capful or two of white vinegar (not brown malt) would be enough, in the section that you would normally put softner in.

peachybums Wed 22-Jun-11 21:23:58

Rain water is the dogs whatsits when it comes to softening nappies and it gets the stains out too if left out. Dont have to hang them on the line just leave a bucket out to collect water and dunk them in.

Vinegar helps too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now