Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

nappy compactor

(15 Posts)
sprinkles77 Sun 19-Jun-11 12:39:58

Anyone use one? Which one is best? We have been wrapping disposable nappies in nappy bags and putting straight in wheelie bin. Now wheelie bin stinks (despite bleaching after each bin day) and loads of flies. Please don't tell me that the obvious solution is reusable nappies that don't go in the bin!

NappyShedSal Sun 19-Jun-11 15:09:26

Why shouldn't we tell you that the solution is reusable nappies wink

Seriously I don;t think washable nappies are that much harder work - you still have to clean the poo off your babies bottom. Instead of putting your nappy in a bin you put it in a bucket. Instead of emptying your bin into a dustbin you empty your bucket into the washing machine (use a mesh bag to make it even easier). Up tio this point I think real nappies are easier as my washing machine is inside my house whereas I have to go outside to get to the dustbin.
So, the only extra work is emptying your washing machine. But you will have saved teh environment, you will have saved lots of money and you won't have a smelly wheely bin and flies.

Sorted!!!

NappyShedSal Sun 19-Jun-11 15:10:44

But actually another solution is to tip any poo into the loo - assuming your LO is on solids and has firmish poos.

Yeni Sun 19-Jun-11 16:23:36

There shouldn't be flies unless the contents are exposed to the air. I've never used one of those nappy bins, but from reading about them on here it seems you are left with a giant stinky sausage of pooey nappies which you then have to remove from the nappy bin and put in your outside bin anyway.

Try cleaning your bin with something other than bleach, to get rid of the smell. You might have to scrub it to clean the inside surfaces.

QueenOfFeckingEverything Sun 19-Jun-11 16:27:21

If you reeally can't be persuaded to use washables then I go with the putting-the-poo-in-the-loo suggestion. Use a flushable nappy liner if that makes it easier.

IIRC it is technically against the law to dispose of human poo in the normal bin. So really, everyone using disposables should be flushing the poo first anyway.

sprinkles77 Sun 19-Jun-11 20:15:29

I do put poos that are not too mashed in down the loo. I didn't realise you could flush the liners. That's a good idea. Will try!

mousesma Sun 19-Jun-11 20:19:25

We've been using the sangenic one for nearly a year and it doesn't smell at all. IMO it's one of the best bits of baby kit we bought.

sprinkles77 Mon 20-Jun-11 10:04:25

thanks mousesma!

HackedOffAndHaressed Mon 20-Jun-11 19:17:40

Queenof No, its a bit of an urban legend about it being illegal putting poopy nappies in the bin. In a hospital/care environment, soiled nappies are considered clinical waste. In a domestic environment, a normal healthy babies' nappy (and the poo within it) is considered normal domestic waste and is fine to dispose of in the household bin.
It will make your bin less smelly though if you choose to flush away the solids before disposal.

HackedOffAndHaressed Mon 20-Jun-11 19:20:05

Sprinkles I should add, unless you have easy access to your drains and they are modern drains I would think twice about regularly flushing liners. They don't disintegrate like toilet paper does. In fact, because I am cheap, unless a liner has poo on it I wash it with my nappies and use it again and again and again. They don't break down in the washing machine so I doubt they break down in your drains either.

sprinkles77 Mon 20-Jun-11 20:44:15

thanks for the warning HackedOffandHaresssed ! I suspect the drains are as old as the house, so 101 years. I could do without a blockage, thanks! Annoyingly DS's poo is usually well mashed into the nappy, so shaking it off would be hopeless without a liner. Someone needs to invent a fully flushable liner, though I suppose something flimsy enough to break down in the toilet will disintegrate in the nappy.
Oh, Yeni I do scrub the bin with an old broom and washing up liquid, then the bleach. Then leave it open to dry if it's not raining. The neighbors look at me hmm. Actually, straight after the bin men have been there is no smell at all. I do wrap the nappies in nappy bags and tie them up, but the air must be getting in somehow. boak!
Nappy bin it is I think, maybe just for poo nappies to save on cartridges.

peachybums Thu 23-Jun-11 11:55:21

Reading this thread im so glad i used washables with my girls, can remember the smelly bin problem with DS. So much easier to use washables in soooo many ways

By the way nappy bins stink 10x worse than your wheelie bin from what i can remember, more cost aswell.

welliesandpyjamas Tue 12-Jul-11 12:36:21

This has a lot to do with the type of plastic the inside of the bin is made of, I think. We've been using a standard pedal bin with plastic inner for dispposables for the last 2.4 years and it has completely absorbed The Stink, despite regular washing and soaking. It is quite awful by now but I have been unsure about what to use next. Seriously considering a nappy bin but am put off by the price of the replacement bags and cartridges. We don't have a garden and due to being on a conservation area road we are not allowed outside bins hmm so all nappies stay indoors all week. Lovely. So, yes, I too am very keen to read about any ideas others have come up with!

NappyShedSal I love the concept of washable nappies, and was indeed a user when my ds1 was in nappies, but do you mind if I kindly remind you that not everyone has a way of drying reusables, therefore making disposables the only choice? smile Not being arsey/sarky btw but just pointing out that there are alternative ways in which people live that means reusables are sadly not an option.

NappyShedSal Tue 12-Jul-11 21:25:41

welliesandpyjamas - I don't mind at all you pointing out the problem of drying nappies. But, of course I'm going to come up with a solution!! There are many quick drying nappies which if you've got a decent enough spin on your washing machine they do really come out almost dry. I used to use one of those sock-dryer things that have 24 pegs on one hanger and just put a nappy or a booster or a wipe on each peg. I then hung the whole drier on a hook in the ceiling above my bath so it didn't take up any space or get in the way. Just an idea that might help someone else.

Yeni Thu 14-Jul-11 12:23:07

Yes, microfibre nappies come out of the machine almost dry, so dry that they don't need a heat source to finish them off. You don't need to put them in an airing cupboard or near a radiator or outside or anything. They are great for anyone who wants to use washables but has no outside space and no dryer. As they dry so quickly you don't need as many of them as you would slower drying nappies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now