Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

confused about what to choose

(9 Posts)
fallingandlaughing Sat 18-Jun-11 12:23:40

I am 35+3 and am being induced in 2 and a half weeks.

Up until a couple of days ago we were planning to use disposables.
Sudden about turn due to cost (financial and environmental). So we are trying to work out what we need quite quickly. I already have a lot of Size 1 and some Size 2 disposables, which we plan to use. We also plan to use disposables when out and about and possibly when baby is with grandparents, after I go back to work. We live in a flat and don't have a tumble drier so something quick drying would be good.

Can anyone recommend a brand, and what we need? We are on a tight budget so don't want to overspend, but don't want something that takes 3 days to dry or leaks.

Thanks in advance.

Eskarina Sat 18-Jun-11 12:49:13

No idea which nappies to recommend (DC1 due next month) but do check your council for a nappy cashback scheme or similar. Loads of councils offer incentives for parents to use reusables. Hertfordshire are going to give me £50 cashback on an £85 nappy spend (pre-loved so extra bargain!) so it will cost me hardly anything.

runningmonkey Sat 18-Jun-11 13:03:15

I use flat terry squares and motherease wraps- dry overnight after washing and v cheap. Rarely leak (unlike disposies)

I found the nappy lady advice service v useful sorry can't link in phone

HackedOffAndHaressed Sat 18-Jun-11 14:34:51

For quick drying without a tumble dryer you would be best to go for a nappy made from microfibre, maybe a pocket nappy. Pocket nappies tend to not be ideal on a newborn but once baby gets to about 4-5 months they are great and so faff free. My favourites are Wonderoo, Bumgenius and Fuzzi Bunz. The nappy itself dries very quickly and the microfibre inserts dry quickly too. If you find drying a problem you can buy spare inserts to use whilst waiting for your other inserts to dry, reducing turn around time on your washing.

The Pop In Dream Dri would be a good option too www.fill-your-pants.com/one-size-nappies/pop-in-dream-dri.html, like the pockets I've already mentioned they are really quick drying.

The best type of nappy for holding in newborn poo really are two part nappies, with an absorbent nappy covered with a waterproof wrap. I loved these with my first, but once we got to 5 months I switched to pocket nappies for the ease of use, I then used pockets from the start with my second.

If you went for a two part system, stay away from bamboo and hemp nappies, they take a long time to dry and you'd struggle in a flat with no dryer I think. The cheapest and easiest to dry would be terry squares, they dry quickly and are pretty cheap, though you do need to learn how to fold them (you tube videos!). These are good www.fill-your-pants.com/flat-nappies/bright-bots-terries-colours.html and they do them in white too www.fill-your-pants.com/flat-nappies/bright-bots-terry-squares.html

You'd need a wrap over the top and a Motherease Rikki Wrap is usually considered the best I think www.fill-your-pants.com/nappy-wraps/motherease-rikki-wraps.html

So I'd say if you want cheap and reliable go for terry squares and a wrap, if you want ease of use in the long run go for pocket/pop in style.

shrubbery Sat 18-Jun-11 16:07:39

I used the Imse Vimse brushed organic cotton nappies for my boy when he was little. It's a 2 part system - we never had any leaks, even with mega bf poo explosions. They are very trim too. We don't have a tumble drier either, and found that they hang dry really fast, whilst still staying soft enough. Very good value for money too. (I got a kit from Babykind)

When he got a bit older and started eating solids and being more wriggly to change, I got some Bumgenius (with poppers - don't catch on clothes and he can't undo them). These are great too - fast drying and a nice fit. Really quick and simple to put on too.

I've also got a few Tots Bots easyfit. They're really neat and trim, but take a bit longer to dry - I just use the faster drying ones first.

I've also got some Pop-in dream dri. They dry really quickly and are great at night with the dri night booster, but I've found that when used without the booster during the day, if you are not careful with timing changes, they can suddenly leak a lot of wee, rather than just getting sodden and a bit damp like the others might.

I've found it's good to have a few different types for different situations.

TribbleWithoutACause Sat 18-Jun-11 17:46:28

If you're concerned about budgets, I would recomend cloth nappy tree here. I got my initial stash off of here and managed to get quite a bit for my money.

fallingandlaughing Sun 19-Jun-11 18:15:58

Wow thanks everyone.

Im just learning but this is all really useful.

tigermummy35 Mon 20-Jun-11 15:41:45

Some nappy companies do a nappy trial. You get two weeks with a range of different ones (refundable deposit needed) to try on your DC. That way you can see how easy they are to dry and how well they work on the individual baby.

Tchaikovsky Wed 22-Jun-11 08:52:47

Oh yes - do a trial! www.thenappyline.co.uk is brill for explaining things and they do trials

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now