Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

"Birth to Potty" nappies no longer fit 2 yo DS. What now?

(18 Posts)
redgecko Wed 15-Jun-11 12:31:00

Our supposed "birth to potty" Pop-ins no longer fit DS. He is fairly skinny (11.5kg and just turned 2), so can't envisage there are many children who would fit these nappies through to potty training! We have also been using Bum Genius Flip, which were excellent through to the 18 month point, but have been leaking badly since then and are now basically unusable.

Planning to have a bash at potty training over the next couple of weeks, but assuming this doesn't work (not holding my breath), would be great to get some advice on any re-usable nappies suitable for a child of DS's age and weight. Not keen to spend a fortune, and don't want to go down the "birth to potty" route again, but not sure what other options there are. Had considered reverting to disposables until he's potty trained, but apart from anything else they're super expensive where we live (overseas), so not so keen on this either.

FlubbaBubba Wed 15-Jun-11 14:44:15

We use pop-ins and they lasted well on our rather rotund DD2 until after her 2nd birthday - are you still using both liners? We ended up taking the smaller liner out iirc.

(having said that we are already up to the one-pop popper for our 5m old, but hoping he'll slim down a bit once he's moving)

redgecko Wed 15-Jun-11 15:02:58

Will try taking the smaller liner out of the pop-in. Hadn't thought of that - thanks! Not sure how much it will help though, as the velcro fasteners are at their limit and keep coming unstuck, with the nappy ending up around DS's ankles on a regular basis - not ideal! To be honest, I think if the pop-in had popper fasteners rather than velcro, we'd probably be OK.

FlubbaBubba Wed 15-Jun-11 15:13:03

Ohh, is it because they're too tight or have the velcro bits got fluffed up? Before I started re-using them with DS, I had to (and still do!) have a good de-fluff!

How annoying for you.

shufflebum Wed 15-Jun-11 15:16:16

I ended up moving onto sposies when DS was 20 months as I couldn't find any reusables to fit him. THe largest ones I found were XL Upsy Daisy and Happy Heiny. Worth having a look on Cloth Nappy Tree as they sometimes come up.

Pingpong Wed 15-Jun-11 17:03:10

you could try some prefolds and a totsbots size 3 wrap.
Real Easy by HipHip baby [www.babykind.co.uk] do sized nappies - the medium is generous and the large I'm pretty sure would fit your son (and they do an XL as well) IMHO they are pretty reasonable. They are an AIO but have a pocket you can add boosters too.
I have also used Large AIO by Baby Beehind Magic Alls. I have been using them overstuffed at night for my 3y3m . I am thinking of trying the XL Real Easy next though. The Magic All still fits fine when not stuffed but I need so much stuffing in it for night time it has started to leave red marks on her legs but honestly it is a very generous sized nappies and I would feel confident they would fit your boy.
Both the Magic All and the Real Easy are poppered nappies.
Feel free to PM me if you want more information.

nannyl Wed 15-Jun-11 17:30:15

tots do a large size 3 nappy.

also good for overnight in potty trained children so long as well boosted etc
(you could use your pop in inserts as boosters for over night)

also motherease toddlerease are large (same as sandies but even bigger)
can be pulled up and down too

weenotions do some pretty large pocket nappies though they arnt cheap!

peachybums Wed 15-Jun-11 20:44:03

DD1 was in bungenius until she was almost 3 and shes not small, maybe you have too much boosting and thats why they are tight? Also try as suggested before and give aplix a 'vamp' up as they do get less sticky over time. Sandys tended to be on the larger side too maybe have a try of one of those? Or try a size 3 nappy. Good luck

redgecko Thu 16-Jun-11 07:04:35

Thanks for all the tips.

Peachy - the Bum Genius actually still fit DS really well, with lots of growth room, but just leak like crazy - no idea why, as they were good earlier. A shame, as I liked the fact they were so slim-line and dried quickly.

Flubba - it's a bit of both with the velcro fasteners. They're at their limit, but could probably also do with some de-fluffing, which I will now do!

If that and removing the extra liner doesn't work, I'll look at alternatives. I think I looked at totsbots when I was first considering reusables, so might start there.

Tchaikovsky Thu 16-Jun-11 07:51:15

I've got a couple of easypeasy bamboo bumper nappies which are made for big babies, and they are fab! Really big and very absorbent. You need a wrap though. Interesting that popins are still actually described as birth to potty - most onesize nappies seem to have removed this description now!

flowerfairy Fri 17-Jun-11 12:32:51

DS was always abig baby and i used fuzzibunz in large and motherease one size (htink they still fitted him, was a while ago) on him from about 18months to 21/2 yrs when i potty trained him. just added the inserts to suit. I can't comment on how they compare to the makes you use, i'm afraid. HTH

TribbleWithoutACause Fri 17-Jun-11 19:56:38

Have you tried tumble drying the bumgenius on low for twenty minutes? If they're leaking this sometimes sorts them out. (It worked for us).

AngelDog Thu 23-Jun-11 13:51:19

I'm struggling with this - 18 m.o. DS is 32 lbs or so, chubby legs & pot belly. Motherease one size and my Bambinex teddies are too tight now, but all the bigger size nappies are too slow to dry. Ideally I'd like microfibre for daytime but they don't seem to exist as far as I can tell.

swampster Fri 24-Jun-11 22:41:43

I found Pop-Ins lasted a Very Short Period Of Time before leaking. And with BGs (V3) I always use the big microfibre insert together with a bamboo or hemp booster or insert as microfibre on its own really doesn't cut it. I really like TotsBots EasyFits but I find they need to be quite heavily boosted.

I prefer AIOs [lazy] but a two-part system (nappy and wrap) would probably work quite well for you. Stretchy Bamboozles or Baby Beehinds bamboos?

kiteflying Wed 29-Jun-11 11:46:38

Fitted nappies with a wrap are the way to go once you are heading towards toilet training. I used motherease one size up to two and a half on a tall baby, and bumgenius, which my daughter preferred.
Once she was close to training, she really hated any nappy that kept poo stuck to her bottom, so using lots of boosters was ruled out, and we just changed more often and expected leaks - it was all part of her learning to dislike using nappies to be honest! I had the advantage of being able to stay home with her through this stage though and we have tiled floors. Not sure how you would manage a child in nursery or out and about a lot.

kiteflying Wed 29-Jun-11 12:02:50

Sorry, I now realise it was not bumgenius, it was bumwear (a singapore maker - not sure whether available in the UK as I bought them in Aus) that she preferred. She never liked anything too close fitting was the point anyway.

AppleAndBlackberry Sat 30-Jul-11 19:42:39

I found the pop-in really small fitting too, I think we stopped using the one we had well before 18 months but still have loads of room in Bumgenius, Baba + Boo and Fuzzibunz. I haven't tried a flip but I would guess you either need more boosting or to switch to a bamboo inner if that's possible (or both?).

slackdan Thu 11-Aug-11 11:05:43

Hi, we've got a real mix of nappies & have loved our BGs but the truth is, they're getting a bit small on our DD1 (2y5m).

We've just bought some PopnGro pockets & they're terrific. They're sized & the size 2 have got loads of growing room in them. DD1 is quite a heavy wetter so we boost the 2 microfibre inserts with a bamboo booster & have had no leaks.

We bought them from Hunnybums who were very helpful in chatting about the best one to choose & have a great info section where you can download info sheets for each nappy & watch videos to see them 'in action' before you commit yourself.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now