Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Changing tables

(10 Posts)
PrincessJenga Tue 07-Jun-11 22:38:48

I suspect this is in the wrong place, but I couldn't work out the best place to post it so I'm hoping you can help me!

I'm expecting my first baby in a few weeks and am trying to get everything we need on a budget. I've managed to get a cot, car seat, etc pretty cheaply (or free! grin) but am struggling with a changing station. They are all sooooo expensive (or, on ebay, miles away so I couldn't pick them up)

I'm considering just getting a chest of drawers and then putting a changing mat on top of it. Have I missed something? Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Thanks for your help!

swampster Wed 08-Jun-11 11:40:15

I really wouldn't bother with a changing table unless it is something you've set your heart on.

A changing mat on a bed is just as good. Or on the sofa, or on the floor.

WhereIsTheFire Wed 08-Jun-11 14:16:26

I have a cot top changer and also a mat on the floor. I loved the cot top changer, it meant I didn't need to be bending over all the time whilst getting over the births and it didn't take up any extra floor space in the smallish bedroom.

That being said, once they get that little bit older it is safer (with a wiggler) to change them on the floor. If you turn your back for a second to pick up the wipes, a clean pair of trousers etc and they roll a bit it doesn't matter, you just scoot them back onto the mat again and carry on.

notso Wed 08-Jun-11 17:26:49

We are limited spacewise so I use a wedge changing mat from mothercare on top of Ds2's chest of drawers, all the nappy paraphenalia goes in the top drawer and his clothes are in the other ones.
Otherwise Ikea do a changing table for about £20 and theres always Ebay.
That said I am the only person I know who doesn't just change on a mat on the floor.

reddaisy Wed 08-Jun-11 17:29:47

As others have said just change the baby on the bed/floor etc, it takes up less room. We had changing mats scattered around the house so we just grabbed one of them and then got on with it!

starfishmummy Wed 08-Jun-11 17:36:54

I just put a folded towel on the floor - we did have a cheap changing mat but hardly used it.

PrincessJenga Wed 08-Jun-11 17:43:47

Thank you ladies. That's really helpful. I was after a changing unit so that I had somewhere to put nappies etc, but I suppose they can just as easily go in the bathroom cabinet or under the cot. Thanks again. I just don't know what's going to be essential and what isn't yet!

peachybums Wed 08-Jun-11 22:09:48

My DDs bedroom has an alcove (right word?) i stuck a chest of drawers in there and put a changing mat ontop, i then put a cupboard above it to store all my cloth nappies, wipes etc. Does the job and cost a fraction of the price of a changing table smile

Eskarina Thu 09-Jun-11 08:39:19

Ikea do rails for the top of their chests of drawers to keep changing mat in place/help prevent rolling off

FrumpyPumpy Thu 09-Jun-11 08:44:27

We have a mat in the family room downstairs, with a basket (wine box really) of nappies, wipes, bum cream etc. It got used on floor or table when really tiny/after birth. In baby's room had mat on top of chest of drawers with a shelf above for 'stock'. Worked well, not changing anything fir DC2 due Monday.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: