Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Reusables in warm weather?

(12 Posts)
spaceal Thu 02-Jun-11 18:31:42

Hi. I'm just trying out a bunch of different reusables, mostly pocket nappies and all-in-ones, and I think I'll find one I like but I just wonder, as we have some warm, sunny days, whether reusables are hotter than disposables? The fleece lining, the inserts and the PUL/minky outer all seem like they might be too warm for a summer's day. Has this ever seemed like an issue to anyone else, or am I just imagining problems?

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Thu 02-Jun-11 18:57:29

I never had a problem. Used to look forward to the warm weather, actually, cos they dried so much faster. PUL can be a bit sweaty, mind. Lanolised wool wraps are much more breathable.

mumnerves Thu 02-Jun-11 19:03:12

PUL can be sweaty but I found the motherease airflow to be quite breathable

frans Thu 02-Jun-11 19:03:57

Yep, agree with birds. We've successfully used pockets and fitteds on DD for 3 years and she never seemed overly hot or sweaty. Would always prefer pockets to plastic nappies anyway - loads more comfy I reckon!

frans Thu 02-Jun-11 19:04:53

Eta, by plastic I mean disposable!

frakyouveryverymuch Fri 03-Jun-11 05:41:11

We live in the tropics so it's hot and use a mix of 2 parters with ME airflow (fab wrap), BG v4s with poppers and BG flips. I find the velcro ones do get sweaty though.

swampster Fri 03-Jun-11 14:38:43

Nothing beats an Itti on a sunny day IMO. And the ones with inserts used without the inserts make the cutest swim nappies.

spaceal Fri 03-Jun-11 15:19:24

Seems like I don't need to worry then! Thanks for all the resp

spaceal Fri 03-Jun-11 15:20:35

Ooops. Posted too soon! Thanks for all the responses.

Since I'm in the north-east of England I don't think I'm going to have to worry about too many scorching days!

CharlottesClan Fri 03-Jun-11 18:48:08

actually, its been proved the chemical gel inside a disposable nappy gets much HOTTER then even the bulkiest cloth nappies.

just to put your mind at rest :D xx

DrSeuss Fri 03-Jun-11 19:12:59

I think either would be pretty warm but what else is there? Having a big wad of stuff around your bum on a hot day is going to be uncomfortable, whether it's cotton or plastic. I did see buttless rompers being worn by kids in China but don't fancy that myself!

peachybums Sun 05-Jun-11 23:25:30

When LO wees in a disposable the gel heats up and the plastic locks the heat in, cloth nappies breathe!

If you let LO wear baby legs they cover legs but not nappy so its not an extra layer and they look cute or of course skirts for girls. My DCs all seemed fine in warm weather, just make sure you get a bucket with lid for when they come off lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now