Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

total newbie - disposables for newborns

(10 Posts)
Rootatoot Thu 02-Jun-11 09:37:05

Hello

My first baby is due in august and I'm starting to get things together but I haven't got a clue about nappies. I'm going to go with disposables but I'd like to know which are good and what is a good price for them please? I see offers in supermarkets all the time but having never bought them before, I don't know if it's good offer or not! Also, don't know if huggies/pampers are better than own branded ones.

Any insight gratefully received thank you smile

RantAboutToStart Thu 02-Jun-11 14:43:21

I start off with Pampers New Baby which I found to be the best with really runny newborn poo, www.boots.com/en/Pampers-New-Baby-Size-1-Carry-pack-27-Nappies_1051485/

Once baby gets a bit bigger I found it ok to switch to a cheaper brand and love the supermarket own brands. Particularly Aldi, Lidl and Tesco.

As a rule of thumb a full price newborn branded nappy is about 13-15pence each, so a pack of say 25 being about £3.50.
Own brand, full price newborn nappies are about 10-11 pence each, so a pack of 25 would be about £2.50.

Rootatoot Thu 02-Jun-11 20:56:51

That's brill Rant - thanks. I actually bought some today whilst I was out with SIL as she has a Costco card. It was £9.99 for 80 pampers new baby, so think did ok there. smile

Stephdelabriere Sat 11-Jun-11 11:57:19

If you go for disposable because you cannot afford the initial cost of washables, have a look at napnaphq.com: you can ask your friends to buy you a few vouchers from there and you can then choose the washable nappies you want. Even if you could only buy a few, you could use them once a week and save some money that way.

LaWeasel Sat 11-Jun-11 12:02:34

If you sign up to all the parent and child clubs at boots, tesco etc they will often send you vouchers for a few quid off packs of nappies.

TheSkiingGardener Sat 11-Jun-11 12:02:51

Watch out for Asda baby events every 3 months to stock up. Branded nappies can then work out 10-12p each. They go through the first few sizes pretty quickly though. I ended up giving quite a few size 1's away.

Rootatoot Sat 11-Jun-11 13:40:01

Thanks ladies. It's a whole new world of stuff to think about!

PinkM0nkey Mon 20-Jun-11 23:00:01

I'm also very new to all this and to spread the cost was thinking about pre buying a few packs (disposable) And was wondering how many they go through a week or day etc.... just to give me a rough idea so not to over buy????

Justtrying Wed 22-Jun-11 10:08:41

Pink my LO is 3 weeks old, we go through 10-12 nappies a day, she's 7lb12 now was 7lb 7 at birth and pampers size 1 still have plenty of room, i also got some huggies new born, had a voucher, but don't like them, they are too hard for her bum. I aim to use washbles, i've just ordered some more so i've enough but she is only just growing into them. Be prepared for leaks though, newborn poo is explosive. Good luck.

PinkM0nkey Wed 22-Jun-11 13:05:17

hahaha thanks for your reply. can't wait for this newborn explosive poo!!! :O

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now