Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Stripping nappies

(5 Posts)
onadietcokebreak Sun 29-May-11 23:02:16

I have brought a secondhand onelife nappy set. Would it be a good idea to strip them before use and if so how? Have read before about white vinegar

Baby not due til Nov so if I did this now would you rewash them?

Also please can anyone advise best detergent (and type eg powder/liquid) to wash them in please?

2ddornot2dd Mon 30-May-11 22:12:06

If you wash them at 60C it should get rid of any germs. I might do this twice to be sure in my own mind.

I haven't heard of stripping them personally, (I'm sure others will be along to give more advice) but if you did soak them in vinegar then definately rewash them. Would you like acid on your privates?

swampster Tue 31-May-11 01:01:51

I like powder - Ecover non-bio or Bold-2-in-1. Totsbots Potion is really nice if a bit pricey.

Don't use fabric conditioners or your nappies will lose their absorbency. Bold 2-in-1 is ok, apparently because it is clay-based.

If you wash then now, I wouldn't bother rewashing them with detergent in November - just put them through a rinse cycle so they're lovely and fresh.

Albrecht Tue 31-May-11 15:00:37

There may be a build up of detergent if they have already been used. So I'd do a normal wash and then keep doing rinse cycles until you don't see any bubbles. Our little lambs need a rinse before and after wash or else they start to stink.

We use Fairy Non Bio but just cos my friend told me she liked it and erm, its got a baby on it. But we are sticking with as he's not allergic and various in my family have been to others. Don't think it really matters. But don't use as much as you would normally.

I'd probably wah them again before November as you'll be nesting like crazy but I don't think you need to if you can't get round to it.

Cumbrianlass2 Tue 31-May-11 23:19:36

You can check to see if you have detergent build up by putting one of the nappies in a tub of clear water and swishing it about. If you see bubbles from soap residue then you need to strip wash, if not then a 60 degree wash will be fine.

To wash use half the amount of detergent you would normally for your water type.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: