Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Lollipop pop'n'gros leaking?

(7 Posts)
ReshapeWhileDamp Thu 26-May-11 18:03:38

Not sure where from. confused It almost seems like it's coming through the PUL at the front, but surely not? These are the one-sizes - I tried those and the size 1s in a nappy trial and found the size 1s leaked st the waistband, so went with the one-size. I have them poppered down and it was particularly wet in the fold of the poppered down bit. Could it be wicking round from the legs?? I suspect you don't get as good a fit round thighs when they're poppered down. Also, DS2's legs could be chunkier!

It's a shame, as they're so expensive. I'm new to cloth and after trying a local council bucket trial, bought a clutch of assorted nappies second-hand from local sellers and ebay. I'm having a lot of fun with them! smile

The pop'n'gros were 2nd hand too, but were basically brand new - bought from a seller on ebay along with some all-in-one pocket Tots Bots, and she'd hardly used them at all - the velcro was pristine and there was zero bobbling, so I believe her!

Any thoughts? Is this happening to anyone else?

ReshapeWhileDamp Fri 27-May-11 12:09:43

bump

NappyShedSal Fri 27-May-11 17:30:35

All nappies need several washes to get them up to full absorbency. If these hadn't been used very much then they may need some more washes. Another possibility is that they have been washed with too much detergent which is clogging up the fibres of the anppy meaning that it can't absorb as much wee. In which case a strip wash would be recommended to get rid of excess detergent. So it might be a good idea to do 2 or 3 washes with no detergent whatsover to a( get rid of any build up and b) build up the absorbency.

Did you get 2 boosters with each nappy - there should be a bamboo and a microfibre booster with each anppy. I'm guessing you have the original style ones where the microfibre booster is big and fat - I don't think these ones are very good (the V2s have a much better microfibre booster). So I would recommend using the bamboo booster. You can fold it over once at the fron if you have a little girl and fold it into thirds and put it at the front if you have a boy.

When you change the nappy are the boosters soaked through? How old is your baby? Also make sure that the vest / trousers aren't too tight and essentially squeezing the wee back out again.

bigbadbarry Sat 28-May-11 09:37:19

I was going to say check the fit of the vest, too - I find PUL wraps often leak seemngly through the front if they are being squeezed.

ReshapeWhileDamp Sun 29-May-11 23:34:46

Thanks for replying, Sal! smile

I've read that about washing nappies several times - I just didn't know it applied to synthetic nappies too! So we'll keep washing then. I think this must be it, as it's happening with the Tots Bots AIOs too, and they all came from different sources. The two I got 'as new' off ebay had the built-in padding and boosters - microfibre and bamboo, but I'm not sure which go with the Lollipop and which with the Tots Bots, since they were one bundle! grin The other lollipop I got at a nappy fair 2nd hand and I'm not sure which booster I have for that. (all my nappies are currently in one box with the boosters all in another... not very organised!)

DS2 is 5 months. Thanks for tip about folding boosters into thirds - I've just started folding in half but will try thirds. I carry him in slings a lot and wondered if it adds to a wicking effect... And no, the boosters aren't generally wringing through when I get this leaking. I'll try washing them some more and see how things improve.

BBB - mmm. Vests are tighter since we started on cloth last week! Will buy vest extenders and seek out that box of 6-9 mo clothing... smile Did you find that wearing your DDs in slings made nappies leak a bit?

bigbadbarry Mon 30-May-11 18:27:26

I didn't notice slinging made them leak, in particular, though we had some really spectacularly catastrophic leaks from newish fluffles (is not broken in sufficiently) in a backpack - so lots of pressure on the nappy I suppose. Think completely drenched trouser legs, not just a bit of damp.

ReshapeWhileDamp Mon 30-May-11 21:02:57

Ooh, I have some pre-loved fluffles coming from ebay. And a Softee (tots bots) which is the same thing. Thanks, will remember to wash and wash them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: