Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help! Nappy liners blocking my drains...

(20 Posts)
MtnBikeChick Mon 23-May-11 13:16:22

I live in a second floor apartment and have been using a combo of disposables and reusables for the last 9 months (about 50/50). I use bambino mio 'flushable' nappy liners so when there is a poop, I just chuck the liner in the loo. However, we just had to have a drain chap out at the cost of £100 quid to clear the loo drain which was blocked...the liners were the culprit, argh! Does anyone not use liners? If not, (sorry for the TMI but this is the nappy page!) how do you get the solid poop off the nappy? I don't like the thought of the solid poops sitting in the monkeyfoot bag waiting for a wash as I usually store them for a couple of days and then wash them (by the way the XL monkey foot bags = amazing as a nappy bin! No smell! Just unzip and chuck into the wash!)

SkyNewsAddict Mon 23-May-11 14:12:09

I live in an old house with old drainage and daren't flush the 'flushable' liners away.

I lift the liner and the poop out of the nappy, hold the liner over the loo and jiggle it a bit grin until the poop falls into the loo and then the liner either goes in the bin in a plastic nappy sack or (if its not too gruesome) I put it in the nappy bin and wash with the nappies and use again. I keep washing them and reusing for as long as possible.

ChutesTooNarrow Mon 23-May-11 14:23:58

I use fleece liners made from a cut-up fleece blanket (which was less than two quid from IKEA). I used a bumgenius flip inner as a guide so they are a generous size.

I just dump the poo down the loo and chuck the liner in the nappy bucket. It generally just rolls off! (TMI? grin)

DamselInDisguise Mon 23-May-11 14:25:56

We use fleece liners too. It's no problem.

bamboobutton Mon 23-May-11 14:30:22

i either
a) just bung them in the machine and do a few cold rinses to get the poo off then wash as normal

or

b) i shake as much off down the loo as possible and then rinse the rest off in the sink, scrubbing it with my hands. yuuuuuummy.

i usually do A as dds poos seem to stick like glue.

WishIWasRimaHorton Mon 23-May-11 14:30:39

fleece liners. made from blanket that was £2 from asda. swill it off under the water from the loo-flushing. as CTN says, the poo slides off. or most of it does anyway. never any problem after they've been thru the machine.

LawrieMarlow Mon 23-May-11 14:33:03

I used to use fleece liners. I swished the liner in the toilet when I flushed it. and tbh most of the more solid poos just rolled off anyway. It all came off in the wash.

SkyNewsAddict Mon 23-May-11 15:08:26

I use a fleece liner with a paper liner on top, sounds like I'm the only one!

MamaChocoholic Mon 23-May-11 16:23:46

me too SNA! need the fleece to keep skin dry and the paper to catch poo. I must be the only one who is wiping green slime poo every day though, very envy at those who can use the liner to lift poo off the nappy. afraid our liners go into nappy sac along with poo and multiple wipes. not ideal, but we have old drains and I am NOT trying to carry a soggy slimy paper liner to the toilet without dripping poo on floor.

<any advice on firming up poo welcome>

SkyNewsAddict Mon 23-May-11 16:43:15

MamaChoc - How old is DC?

MamaChocoholic Mon 23-May-11 19:39:09

they're 7mo, almost 8mo

MagicFoxhole Mon 23-May-11 19:45:30

Mamachocoholic- i use the lid of the nappy bucket as a tray to carry the liner to the loo, then leave them a while before flushing. No tips on firming poo though, sorry!

WishIWasRimaHorton Mon 23-May-11 19:47:11

banana

MiniModee Mon 23-May-11 20:35:54

WishIWas Yep, thats what I was going to suggest! I have two DS, one tends to have runny poo, I give him banana, the other tends to be constipated so I give him apple. It seems to balance it out a bit!

ChutesTooNarrow Mon 23-May-11 22:04:03

Actually MamaChocoholic I do remember that being a tricky age poo wise. It firmed up once ds was enthusiastically eating instead of chucking food on the floor. I did use a combination of flushable paper liners and fleece from 7-9 months as, ahem, a fair amount of scraping was involved.

<can not wait until my thoughts do not revolve around poo>

Cumbrianlass2 Mon 23-May-11 22:05:32

I use fleece liners, & change poopy nappies in the bathroom next to the loo. They can be squishy so if it dont roll off then I hold the end of the liner and flush the loo. Then all into the nappy bucket kept handy in the bathroom - I have a wetbag in nursery for just wet. I have a sceptic tank so just cant risk flushable, although have to admit that (due to half-arsed non tight holding on) there are a couple of fleece ones festering in that tank blush

ReshapeWhileDamp Thu 26-May-11 18:10:14

Thanks for reminding me that these things aren't really 'flushable'. grin We are in a 1920's house with a history of blocked drains and I've only been doing cloth for the last week, but been flushing liners. This has convinced me not to! I have some fleece somewhere, but that was pre-move and it could be anywhere now. Must find it.

The alternative, I suppose, is to continue using the viscose liners I have at the moment and bin them in a separate bin (i.e. not the regular bathroom bin, which has loo roll inners, old toothbrushes and yak! hair from the shower; and not the nappy bin) with a liner, so I can just bung the lot in the main bin when I need to. Not much floorspace in our bathroom!

ReshapeWhileDamp Thu 26-May-11 18:10:46

That would be 'yuk! hair' and not Yak hair. I do not shower Yaks. grin

COCKadoodledooo Thu 26-May-11 18:29:35

Fleece liners here too. We junked the 'flushable' ones after accidentally bunging a couple in the nappy wash (wee ones only!) and discovering they didn't degrade at all. Figured if they could take an hour in the machine at 60C then they weren't going to do the drains any favours..

Oh and for stubborn/squidgy poos that won't just shake off, I use the little plastic spatula you get with a tube of Immac.

ThePetiteMummy Fri 27-May-11 19:11:05

I use fleece liners if using cream, or otherwise no liner, as I find the poo 'rolls' off the inside of our Bumgenius/Ittis very nicely! With regard to pooey wipes, I keep a toilet roll on the changing table, then wipe the worst off with a little of that, before doing a proper clean up with a wet wipe. That way I'm not putting a wipe covered in poo into the bin! Paper then gets flushed along with the number 2! (yes, I know I could use washable wipes, am considering it!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: