Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Calling all Flip stray-dry users...!

(10 Posts)
legallyblond Sun 28-Nov-10 15:45:25

I have been trialling a few reusables on 7 week old DD (Bumgenius v3, tots bots easy fit v2, pop-in bamboo and bumgenius flip) and Flip is def the one for us - I love it!

I have tried and loved the stay dry inserts but have a couple of questions:

1. At 7 weeks, dd seems to soak the insert after about 3 hours (no leaks at all!)... how does it hold up for older babies? Would it still go 3 hours?

2. Is it possible to boost the flip (can't imagine it as its not a pocke)? If yes, how and with what do you boost!

Thanks!

legallyblond Sun 28-Nov-10 17:19:05

oh dear - just noticed the spelling in the title.. sorry - typing while bf!

Hevster Sun 28-Nov-10 18:27:31

legallyblonde good questions, am in the same boat as you, at 8 weeks tomorrow and the flip and wonderoo's ny hiphip baby are the only things that don't leak. I am guessing that the organic insert is more absorbant but i haven't got any yet. Think I have read that people boost them with bamboo or hemp inserts to get through the night.

MummyBerryJuice Sun 28-Nov-10 18:40:44

I use Flipps but they are not my main nappy. I use them mainly when out and about. This means however, that they often so stay on for about 3 hours but I tend to use the organic cotton insert if I think I won't be able to change DS after about 2.5hrs (I have a mix of stay dry and cotton and disposable inserts. The disposable interest are good when away and I've used 2 together to make them last longer. )

Would definitely consider getting dedicated night nappies for layer as I don't think a Flip will last a whole night. You only really need 3 night nappies and 2 wraps for night use though so not a HUGE layout.

legallyblond Mon 29-Nov-10 14:30:38

Thanks MummyBerry. I would consider the organic cotton inserts but I have discovered through my trialing that I HATE having to use a fleece liner - I don't know why, it just annoys me!

I guess I could put a thinner bamboo or hemp booster under the stay dry insert? Which are good? I have seen totsbots ones for instance..? I would be after THIN but absorbant...

bump?

Pingpong Mon 29-Nov-10 15:36:40

Little lamb do a lovely bamboo booster. I've used it with my BG v3 along with the big insert instead of the small insert. It is slim and absorbant. I have the size 2 the size 1s are a bit wee IMO.
I haven't tried them under the flip stay dry but can try it out and let you know.
I didn't bother with liners when DD was just breastfed but she is now 9 months I am finding fleece liners very handy as the weaning poo is baaaad! grin and rather than rinsing the whole nappy down the loo if I can just rinse the liner then it's not so bad.
For night I use Totsbots bamboozle - I have a couple of the new stretchies and some old style which I boost with a little lamb bamboo booster (and a fleece liner) and then use a Motherease Rikki wrap.

HermyaAndThePomBears Mon 29-Nov-10 21:46:45

I've found that these people seem to do reasonably priced inserts.

MummyBerryJuice Mon 29-Nov-10 21:51:47

I use flushable liners regardless cause it just catches the worst of the poo. But, having said that, while DS was ebf, it made no difference. And I would not bother before weaning just as smac has said.

mylifewithstrangers Mon 29-Nov-10 21:55:37

I only really like the Flip with the organic inserts. However I do use the stay-dry, but they only last 2 hours or so. I use a fleece liner with both though (but then DS doesn't believe in roll-of-the-nappy poo so it is easier to bin a liner if I can't face scraping poo off!!)

I should think you could boost them, if I would recommend some microfibre cleaning cloths, which are cheap, absorbent, quick-drying and thin. Obviously put under the actual Flip insert so away from baby's skin. Or get some bamboo boosters, which are very thirsty so you can get away with smallish ones.

The disposable liners for the Flip are crap by the way. They bunch up at the first sign of wetness and are completely useless for poo.

One other thing - I don't use the Flip at night. Although it doesn't tend to leak I just feel more secure with a fitted bamboo nappy and Motherease airflow at night.

comeonbishbosh Tue 30-Nov-10 10:43:04

I've got a 10 month old and we use the flip overnight with organic insert - and I've only started using (flushable) liners now she's weaning. The staydrys during the day tend to do 3 hours with us. We only have had problems with leaks on odd weeks which seem to co-incide with teething and really explosive scrambled egg runny poos... and those leak whatever type of nappy we're using.
I've heard of people doubling up the stay dry inserts if they need extra absorbency power, but haven't tried this myself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: