Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

smelly washing machine area from reusables

(7 Posts)
Rillyrillygoodlooking Sat 27-Nov-10 09:15:51

Hi

I have two children in reusables - bambinex teddies and motherease sandys.

My washing machine area in the garage stinks, in fact the whole garage stinks. It smells cabbagey. euw.

I wet pail the nappies, with water and tea tree, having rinsed poo off down the loo, but doesn't get all of it off. Also I don't rinse wee nappies.

They smell when they go into the top loading washing machine. I do a hot wash with persil sensitive powder. Other stuff goes in there as well.

I often have to use the tumble dryer because the sandys nappies take AGES to dry. They don't even completely dry out on the line if I leave them for the whole day on the line.

They don't smell when they are one tho.

Does anyone have any tips?

belgo Sat 27-Nov-10 09:19:55

I used paper liners so that the poo would go into the toilet.

I would put white vinegar in the machine and run it through, with the barrel empty.

And check the whole garage for a runaway dirty nappy fallen down the back of something!

belgo Sat 27-Nov-10 09:21:04

I never wet pailed either, I couldn't bare the thought of having to squeeze out wet nappies.

Rillyrillygoodlooking Sat 27-Nov-10 09:27:23

Oh er, I just slosh the whole lot in the washing machine! I am starting to sound rather gross now...

Can I ask you a couple of questions?

How do you dry pail?

With paper liners can they cause nappy rash?

Thanks!

belgo Sat 27-Nov-10 09:36:37

No the liners didn't cause nappy rash. The liners which only had wee on them, I would wash in the machine and reuse as they were strong enough.

I just dry pailed using a net in a bucket with a fitted lid.

Pingpong Sat 27-Nov-10 11:07:21

I would try dry pailing. Add a couple of drops of tea tree oil if it's getting smelly.
Do a rinse cycle first before your hot wash to rinse off any remaining poo and dilute the ammonia in the wee. Doing a hot wash can 'set' the smell in.
You can add another couple of drops of tea tree oil when you do the wash.
Perhaps the slopping around of wet pooey water is contributing to the smell in the garage?
I used paper liners with DD1 and am now a fleece liner convert for DD2 as I'm using some bamboo nappies at night and I like the stay dry feel of fleece liners.

raedrenn Mon 03-Jan-11 19:49:34

Its your machine that is causing the smell. I had a similar problem. You need to do a couple of hot maintenance washes with vinegar and biological powder. Then wash your nappies with a good non-bio powder and a scoop of napisan for killing off stinks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now