Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Poo stains

(11 Posts)
GuernseyFrench Fri 12-Nov-10 20:00:00

I'm using BG v3 and now that DS is on solids food, I have noticed that some of the poo stains are not been washed away. The nappies are clean and do not smell but I have some brown stain.
I know sun light should bleach them but even if they dry in my conservatory (so in direct sun light) the stains are still there.
I wash the nappies at 60C every time.
What can I do to get ride of those stains?
Thanks for your advices

thisisyesterday Fri 12-Nov-10 20:06:15

i never bothered. no-one sees them, and they'll only get covered in more poo

wash at 30, hang in the sun, and relax!

Pingpong Sat 13-Nov-10 00:22:56

Try using a fleece or paper liner to catch the worst of the poo.
The Baba Me facebook page (Baba me are the European distributors of BG) said that you can add a small amount of bleach to your wash (do not soak the outers in bleach) which will help with stains.
Do you do a cold rinse first? I find that a cold rinse then hot wash usually gets rid of stains. Just doing a hot wash set the stains in the fabric.
I wouldn't wash nappies at 30.....

GuernseyFrench Sat 13-Nov-10 19:15:06

Thanks for those.
Do you think I can use a stain remover (vanish kind) on the inside of the outer?
I'll do an additional rinse after to make sure all the nasties are gone.

GuernseyFrench Sat 13-Nov-10 19:15:37

Thanks for those.
Do you think I can use a stain remover (vanish kind) on the inside of the outer?
I'll do an additional rinse after to make sure all the nasties are gone.

Ariela Sun 14-Nov-10 01:39:40

Well you could try it, but they'll only get more poo stains!

thisisyesterday Mon 15-Nov-10 10:30:54

why would you not wash nappies at 30???
i'm on my third baby and it hasn't caused me any trouble yet! saved me money tho

Pingpong Mon 15-Nov-10 13:38:36

because 30C is not hot enought to sanitise the nappies. I was trying to find an independant quote for you but have failed, but here is what Totsbots have to say about their detergent which is safe to use at 30C (making it in the minority....)
Potion
then I found what Real Nappies for London say here
"If your baby is under one year old their rinsed soiled nappies should still be washed at 60°C (while he or she is developing resistance to infection). "

thisisyesterday Mon 15-Nov-10 14:31:11

so do you wash all their clothes (and yours) at 60 degrees too?

bizarre.

if you can find any piece of evidence based research that backs up a need to wash at 60 degrees then i'll gladly read it. but i think it's utterly unnecessary myself.

i think you';ll find most people wash at 30 or 40
in fact, there are nappies out there that can't be washed at 60;..

Pingpong Mon 15-Nov-10 15:33:20

Feel free to disagree. I don't do evidence based research. I'm afraid I don't have the time to trawl the internet I am just sharing widely available information from sites like Real Nappies for London. The Welsh equivalent also says wash at 40 or 60 but I didn't link.
Go Real say wash at no more than 60C.
I do wash mostly at 60C.
My husband works in an oil refinery and comes home with stinking dirty clothes, my girls seem to get most of their food over their clothes and often me too and I find most stains come out by washing at 60C so I do wash at 60. Sometimes 40 but I always wash my nappies at 60C.
I find washing shitty nappies at 30C 'utterly bizarre' so there!

thisisyesterday Mon 15-Nov-10 15:42:44

surely to sanitise them tho you would have to do them on a boil wash? if we're talking killing bacteria?

sorry, just doesn't make any sense to me and i wondered if there was any research to suggest that poo that has come out of your child and already been all over its skin was somehow dangerous once washed off. that's all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: