Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Bumgenius V4: Poppers or aplix?

(14 Posts)
lillylane Thu 11-Nov-10 12:57:42

DD is 7 weeks and I still cant decide which cloth nappies to order. I have some BG V4 to try out and I do like them, but not sure if I should get them with aplix or poppers. Do any of you seasoned cloth nappy users have a preference and if so which ones would you recommend?

blake11 Thu 11-Nov-10 13:48:06

We use BG v3s on dd, 8 months, which have aplix. As far as I know, pros and cons are:

Poppers - harder for little fingers to undo (although if you keep them covered with clothes, this wouldn't be a problem!), tabs less likely to look worn out quickly.

Aplix - far more adjustable, as you can stick the tabs anywhere, whereas poppers you're restricted to the positions of the poppers. Can also cross over the tabs if your baby is small. Downside is they will start to look a little worn after a while, although we've used ours since dd was 10 weeks and they still look ok. Aplix is also quicker to do up, which is good when baby starts to get wriggly!

Hope this helps. From a personal point of view, I also prefer the look of the Aplix ones, as I don't really like the look of all those poppers on the front. Haven't used poppered ones tho, so maybe someone who has can give more info.

In terms of choosing BG in general, I've been really happy with them, and also recently converted my sister to them too! (for her 14 mo dd).

lillylane Thu 11-Nov-10 14:17:18

Ah, I hadn't considered the wriggle factor, I guess it would be a bit tricky chasing her round the house trying to do up the poppers when she is on the go.

GoingToBonnieDoon Thu 11-Nov-10 15:46:52

I have mostly the V3 aplix but have now bought some of the v4 poppers and I wish all of my BGs were poppers I love them.

Now that we have been using them for 1.5 years my aplix ones just look knackered and the aplix doesn't stick as much as it used to do, have gone grey and curl up at the edges, scratching DDs tummy. Haven't had problems with poppering them whilst DD wriggles, not more than with aplix anyway but maybe other babies wriggle more??

I think whilst the poppers are slightly less adjustable, this was only a problem when DD2 was still teeny, once she was about 10lb the poppers were no harder to fit than the aplix. My vote is wholeheartedly for the poppers. Wish I could trade in my V3 ones...

Pingpong Sat 13-Nov-10 00:16:45

goingtobonniedoon if your velcro isn't fastening try popping them in the tumble drier for a few minutes. That is supposed to fix them.
lillylane I suggest you get a mixture. Poppers are handy but less adjustable.
Velcro is very adjustable but you have to remember to fold back the tabs otherwise you bring out a big nappy mountain from the washing machine as everything has stuck together.

GoingToBonnieDoon Sat 13-Nov-10 14:26:39

Smac thanks for the tip but I've tried it, it works temporarily and then its rubbish again sad

goodmanners Sat 13-Nov-10 16:11:50

I prefer aplix though find the look of poppers neater but my ds took delight in the popper sound when he wipped them off - can you get a mix? For a popper nappy i would much prefer the fuzzi bunz one size www.nappyzone.co.uk currently has these on introductory offer dont know whether the 10% mumsnet discount would go with this offer mind but would be worth asking. A penny saved n all....

YummmyMummy Sat 14-May-11 21:49:24

I prefer the aplix for ease of use and better fit. You can get 'repair' kits for the v4 (not sure if it works with v3) for £1 which also give you replacement elastic. The pro's definitely outweigh the £25 quid and hour or two it takes me to replace the velcro and elastic. After doing that they're like new again.

mummynutter Mon 16-May-11 21:08:31

Poppers all the way, our velcro bumgenius are useless now and I dont have the time or inclination to be faffing with replacing the tabs.
Poppers are also much harder for toddlers to undo!

tigermummy35 Fri 20-May-11 19:24:44

Velcro wears out a lot quicker than poppers - we have velcro nappies (not BG) and at 6 months, the velcro is next to useless. Luckily our wraps are popper fastened! I understand from friends that little ones can learn to undo the velcro too!

peachybums Fri 20-May-11 22:38:00

We have aplix and i dont like them, wish i had poppers sad. They have gone curly and i have to sit with a pin to get anything out thats got in during a wash (even though i use laundry tabs). DD2 is 13mths now and has learnt how to take her nappy off, she cannot do this with other branded popper fastening nappies but velcro is stright off, this lead to a nasty accident on my living room rug 2 weeks ago lol.

The only pros of the applix is the adjustability really but most popper fastening nappies are pretty good at spacing. Just have to ensure to distract wriggly baby long enough to do them up lol.

COCKadoodledooo Fri 20-May-11 22:46:12

Poppers all the way! Aplix far too easy for small hands to undo..

TribbleWithoutACause Fri 27-May-11 21:20:14

I'd get a mix, I personally prefer poppers as they seem to wear better. But for non clothies, applix is better if you're leaving them with someone.

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Wed 10-Aug-11 07:30:36

poppers! Have aplix and DD2 can now undo the nappy at 14m. V embarrassing when we are out. Also Aplix now looking a bit ropey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now