Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help, sore bums and tots bots

(10 Posts)
ca7439 Sun 21-Aug-05 09:14:44

Hello. Have been using tots bots on dd since she was 3 weeks old, now 5 months. Love them they are great. Last couple of weeks she started to get red and sore. The soreness is only on the bits which touch the actual nappy - we use fleece liners and that doesn't seem to cause it. I think it is from the elastic gathered bits of the nappy. Was told it could be soap powder build up or allergy so washed nappies twice with no powder but still happening. Any advice? Have put her in disposables and it has gone all dry and peeling like sunburn - but almost gone??? Please help, I love my tots bots and don't want to stop using them.

misdee Sun 21-Aug-05 09:38:28

could it be the wraps?

vkone Sun 21-Aug-05 09:39:03

When you wash do you check for soapsuds during the rinse cycle? I found unbleached Tots are particularly prone to soap build up if you live in a hardwater area. There are some instructions for "stripping" nappies on www.fuzzibunz.com which may help (FBs are different, but I think the same principles apply).

It's also a good idea to strip your washing machine every so often. Just run the hottest wash with no detergent and nothing in it. Manufacturers recommend this once every month or so as detergent can buildup in the drum.

misdee Sun 21-Aug-05 09:55:54

sorry for short answer earlier was holding my baby at the time. the rash u desribe is similar to dd3. she is senstive to the elastic used in legs cuffs on wraps (mainly ME), and at times the skin flares up horribly. so i alternate with lovebums wraps, which use fleece cuffs. she skin is now less sore. it is always worse on hotter days. hope that helps.

ca7439 Sun 21-Aug-05 10:28:33

Thanks Misdee, hadn't thought about the wraps. We are using motherease wraps and like you said, it is only sore right around the edges, where the wrap would touch her skin. Will try to strip washing machine and nappies.

Where can you get lovebums wraps from? might give them a try. do you just switch untill soreness goes away then go back to ME?

misdee Sun 21-Aug-05 10:31:50

http://www.lovebums.co.uk

i only have one atm ,as someone gave me one to try and its fab. i have ordered some more in the medium size (dd3 is 6months old now). i try to get it washed as quick as possible. i generally use it at night as she sleeps through and i dont change her at night. as i have laods of ME wraps those are still the 1st ones i use, tho leave them off for times at home on warm days.

popsycal Sun 21-Aug-05 10:40:53

misdee Sun 21-Aug-05 10:43:56

thank you popsycal!!!

popsycal Sun 21-Aug-05 10:46:06

you are very welcome my dear!
glad it helped and worked

misdee Sun 21-Aug-05 10:48:49

at least i can recommend them to others now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now