Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

pull up nappies - silly question...

(24 Posts)
fairycakes Sat 20-Aug-05 22:30:35

...are these for potty-training babies only? my 11 month old will not under any circumstances lie still and not sit up while trying to change her nappy - was thinking how easy it would be to use pull ups on her as could put them on her while she is standing up (which is all she wants to do at the moment) and this would keep us both happy...

probably a really really dense question to ask, but i am a bit dense so...!!

chatee Sat 20-Aug-05 22:32:49

i used pu;; ups for about 3 weeks when my ds refused to goanywhere near the changing mat and i mastered the art of changes on the go

chatee Sat 20-Aug-05 22:33:10

oops pull ups even.................

QueenOfQuotes Sat 20-Aug-05 22:36:37

We used them with DS1 from when he was about 14 months old up until when he was potty trained (2 weeks before his 3rd birthday).

fairycakes Sat 20-Aug-05 22:37:27

thats good to know, thanks! - are they less "protective" against leaks - as we often have leaks of the not-so nice kind with normal nappies....

Hattie05 Sat 20-Aug-05 22:38:38

I think pampers actually advertise theirs for children on the move.

I did as chatee, when dd was in a phase of not lying down i used them. But they are an awful lot more expensive so quickly changed back to nappies.

I think they are rubbish for potty training.

QueenOfQuotes Sat 20-Aug-05 22:38:56

We found them to be about the same as normal nappies - although occasionaly 'wet' leaks at nighttime. We used the Tesco pullups though - so don't know about the more expensive ones

Chandra Sat 20-Aug-05 22:40:14

It depends on the nappy, pampers do some pull ups that are very absorbent but not very good for potty training (more like a nappy). Huggies has a variety that it's a pull up but as it's very thin it only holds small accidents (good for potty training as they are also easy to pull up or down)

Chandra Sat 20-Aug-05 22:41:34

But agree with HAttie, the best thing you can use for potty training is pants.

aloha Sat 20-Aug-05 22:45:43

I think pull ups are great. More comfortable than normal nappies, easier to change and put on....but utterly useless as aids to toilet training.

NannyL Sat 20-Aug-05 22:47:35

Pampers easy up pants are designed to be 'pull on nappies' and therefor as absorbant etc as 'normal' nappies

Many shops (tesco / asda etc) do there own brands of pull on NAPPIES that arnt training pants

Huggies do huggies convertables which can go on as a nappy or a 'pant' and are also technically nappies which pull up as well as a bonus.

Then there are 'huggies pull ups' these are potty training pants.... designed to be used by children learning to potty train...

they are therefor NOT as absorbant and not desigend to cope with lots of wees as normal nappies are...

many shops have there own brand training pants as well

(in reality these pull up training pants feel 'dry' like disposbale nappies, and toddlers often dont realise the difference, therefor i personally think they dont help with toilet training at all!)

Now pamper have there own traing pant (feel and learn) which are like huggies oull ups but feel wet (MUST be better than disposable training pants that 'feel dry', but i still convincec proper pants that get wet, is the real way to potty train a child, but thats not the point!)

hope thats a clear enough explanation...

Oh and drynites.... they are pull on NAPPIES for older children who wet the bed and therefore need a larger nappy that absorbs lots of wee and feels dry...

if you have a heavy wetter and put them in (huggies) pull ups they often leak at night... where as a larger size 6 nappy, or a huggies dry night pant is less likely to leak on a 4+ year old

hope that helps!!!

NannyL Sat 20-Aug-05 22:50:24

Oh also... nappy pants are great for wet only nappies... but if they are dirty they still need to lie down to clean them... (and the nappyes tear off.... dont attempt to let them step out of a dirty 'pant' style nappy! not a good idea..

may be great for girls in skirts... but if you have trousers on then these need to come off and be put back on again, (where as i find you can often just pull the trousers down a bit and change the nappy without removing them completely... so nappy pants are not necessarily the answer to easy nappy changes!

KristinaM Sat 20-Aug-05 22:53:31

Fairycakes - our Ds ( 15 months) also hates having his nappy changed. But i wouldnt use pull ups as they are so expensive. Also how would you clean a pooy bottom with the child standing up? We hardly ever get leaks - i think I've had 2 or 3 nasty ones in the last 15 months.We just use Asda nappies.

QueenOfQuotes Sat 20-Aug-05 22:54:38

Tesco Pull-ups are a very reasonable price.

QueenOfQuotes Sat 20-Aug-05 22:57:40

They work out at about 18/19p a nappy (compared to up to 35p a nappy for other brands)

fairycakes Sat 20-Aug-05 23:20:39

wow thanks girls - and thanks NannyL for your guid to nappies, thats really ehlpful, ta

xx

ghost Sat 20-Aug-05 23:25:40

trying to tear pull up full of poo off a wiggly child is quite difficult and often ends up spreading the mess. WIth a conventional nappy once you have opened the sides you can roll the nappy up and reuse the tabs to prevent the contens dropping out whilst you are putting the new nappy on. a pull up does not stay rolled and therefore if it comes into contact with a roving foot ( voice of experience) the outcome is not good!!!

QueenOfQuotes Sat 20-Aug-05 23:27:36

Tesco pull-ups have 'tabs' on the back of them so they stay rolled up

ghost Sat 20-Aug-05 23:42:37

Thank qoQ - I never knew what that tab was for!!I thought it just told you what the the back - how sad am I?

MistressMary Sat 20-Aug-05 23:43:39

I love pull ups. So much easier.

NannyL Sun 21-Aug-05 09:46:10

Your welcome fairy cakes!

Oh and pampers easy up pants also have a sticky tab on the back to hold it all in!

Caththerese1973 Sun 21-Aug-05 10:00:44

I have been warned off pull ups. Most people seem to feel that the kids just use them as nappies. One friend said that they were good for 'pooh training', but useless for wee training as they absorb the urine and the child does not notice that s/he has had an accident.

KiwiKate Sun 21-Aug-05 10:32:47

Agree with Catherese. My DS went backwards with potty training when his two grandmothers insisted on putting him in pullups. If we go out for a long time I use nappies, otherwise just undies. Pullups are banned. They feel too comfortable, like undies, but the kids know they can wee in them. This can lead to them weeing in their undies (because they are mistaken for pullups).

DS was almost totally dry until the grannies introduced pullups. After a little effort and re-training (and banning pullups) he is pretty much dry again.

stacijc Sun 21-Aug-05 11:00:42

u might not find pull ups small enough anyway. we used huggies convertables for quite a while (b4 feel n learn....we're skirting around potty training) and they were great, same absorbancy as a huggies nappy but with the option of how to put them on.

huggies pull upa are only meant to have one wee in them anyway so they don't have to be as absorbant as other nappies.

we used tesco pull on pants (or whatever they are called) but didn't like them, thought they were too frilly and ds1 wouldn't wear them anyway!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now