Talk

Advanced search

Leaving nanny job, feeling terrible

(3 Posts)
nannyi Sun 20-May-18 20:41:08

I have just given notice in my nanny job as I have been offered a great opportunity that will really benefit my future.
However, feeling really guilty for putting the children through a change of career and so upset about leaving them. My employers have been really lovely about it and we are working hard to find a great new nanny, but I just feel so terrible for the children. Have been there since the children were babies and they don’t know any different, currently feeling very selfish for leaving them.
In other jobs I’ve been with the kids until I was made redundant when they started school, that was emotional enough but this is really tough.
Has anyone else felt like this? Any advice on how to make the process as smooth as possible for the children will be much appreciated. They are resilient kids so I’m hoping that they will get used to a new nanny quickly.

AliceInWonderland123 Sat 11-Aug-18 21:06:26

Yes, feeling your pain. Although I am retiring from childcare, I still feel the guilt of leaving.

Marylou62 Sun 12-Aug-18 19:48:17

I have been a nanny for 25+ years..and have left many families or they have moved, gone to school or left me! The children will be fine. Like you I have looked after them since they were babies. I stay in contact though
, with nearly 80% of them. They are all fine..it was me that was distraught with some of them. If you can't physically keep in touch, write often, send photos and postcards..Honestly..they will be fine and so will you...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: