Advanced search

I'm interviewing a nanny tomorrow - I'm clueless (well a bit clueless!)

(16 Posts)
westridingpauperlunaticasylum Sun 25-Feb-18 22:07:47

I'm interviewing someone for a part time after school nanny job. I've always used nurseries and out of school clubs until now and never had any direct dealings with nannies before.
Can anyone advise about appropriate questions?
I understand I need to employ her and pay tax, NI, pension etc. I'll outsource this to a company.
I know to check references thoroughly and I want to explore an enhanced DBS check with barring (this lady isn't through an agency, recommended independently).
I have a what I think are reasonable list of expectations;
Collect from school
Double back if one is in an after school activity (we are 5 mins from school)
Call into park on a nice day a couple of times a week, library once a week
Feed them tea (pre prepared by me just to re heat or a simple cooked fish fingers style meal or sandwiches/salad/soup
Empty school bags and chuck inevitable mud covered coats in the washer
Depending on what mood they are in;
Supervise tablet use
Play board games, help younger one with jigsaws
Deal with Lego wars
Supervise if playing in the garden
Support with homework once a week
That's it really.
Children are 4,5&7
I'd be paying from 3-6 but likely home at 5 most days.
What should I be asking to make sure it's a good fit all round?

kevinkeeganlovesme Sun 25-Feb-18 22:17:51

Just talk to her.

Maybe don't swamp her with so much st the first meeting, it can be a little off putting. Some of that can be outlined in a follow up email or contract.

kevinkeeganlovesme Sun 25-Feb-18 22:18:49

Do NOT tell her you'll be home early most days. If you are it's a lovely surprise and will set a great tone for the relationship but don't mention it at an interview.

kevinkeeganlovesme Sun 25-Feb-18 22:19:51

Unless you'll expect her to stay until 6 while you're there. That's a different kettle of fish, lots of nannies wouldn't be so happy with that, especially at that time of night.

westridingpauperlunaticasylum Sun 25-Feb-18 22:22:29

Oh I'm good at talking and listening too! I've already messaged her with the expectations listed so that should be fine. I just don't want to come across as clueless and want to make sure I cover all bases I should at the first meeting. Children will be around running around like loony tunes straight after school so that will be a great test of her interest!

westridingpauperlunaticasylum Sun 25-Feb-18 22:23:38

I'm intrigued - what should I not say I'll generally be in around 5/5.15 but I'll pay to 6 in case I get held up?

kevinkeeganlovesme Sun 25-Feb-18 22:26:25

I'd be worried she'd start to expect it.

I've had positions like that and have never been told that before hand and just been very surprised and happy.

I had one where they said they usually be home early so I'd avoid rush hour and rarely were and it just bred resentment.

kevinkeeganlovesme Sun 25-Feb-18 22:27:34

Make sure you ask about her views on discipline. I've weeded out a few undesirables that way. smile

westridingpauperlunaticasylum Sun 25-Feb-18 22:29:30

Oh I understand now Kevin.

Yes discipline is a good one. Especially as my oldest can be a tad 'lively' winding his siblings up a treat.

kevinkeeganlovesme Sun 25-Feb-18 22:36:25

It's important (I think) to have someone on the same page as you in that way.

I got asked what my proudest moment as a childcarer was once. That was quite a good question.

kevinkeeganlovesme Sun 25-Feb-18 22:37:00

Don't ask them if they'll wash the buggy wheels everyday. That's offputting. grin

westridingpauperlunaticasylum Sun 25-Feb-18 22:46:51

Luckily no buggy here haha! Although when we still used them, I was that mum who put folded up kitchen roll under each wheel in the hall if it was wet outside to protect the wooden floor 🙈. I like that proudest moment question. Kevin you are exactly the kind of poster I need!

bump6 Sun 25-Feb-18 23:05:36

Hi, along side all that you would like your nanny to do. I would also try to get to know her that way you’ll see if she will fit in with your family.

westridingpauperlunaticasylum Sun 25-Feb-18 23:08:49

Bump absolutely! I really want someone who can feel really relaxed and comfortable in our home and with our kids

nannynick Mon 26-Feb-18 20:29:31

When you meet the right person, you will feel comfortable around them. Are you interviewing lots of people, if not then do not structure things too rigid in the interview... have them come at a time when they can interact with your children, watch how your children react.

I had an interview recently where after first few minutes the eldest child was giving me a tour of the house, selected a game to play and we spent a while playing the board game in the lounge with younger child trying to help, plus mum observing (good time to make a cuppa and return a few mins later to see if children are still happy with you not in the same room). I ended up being there almost 2.5 hours, just general chit chat mostly, plus showing mum my folder of certificates, references, providing verbal reference contact details.

Have a list of questions and ask the really important ones - discipline style, food preparation, after-school activities, whatever you view as your key things to know. Then try to go with the flow... just find out more about them, why they want the job, do they realise the pay on offer and are they happy with that and how it would be paid (if term time only, you may be splitting pay over a whole year, or you may pay just during months actually worked).

littlemisscomper Tue 13-Mar-18 11:24:42

Ask her if she's ever dealt with an emergency situation before. If she hasn't got a first aid qualification, pay for her to do a 2 day course. I'm a nanny and one of my worst experiences was when a little munchkin fell off her chair while she was eating a slice of apple and the shock caused her to choke. Luckily I'd been a member of St John Ambulance for years and I knew what to do, but it was still a horrible couple of minutes. You'll want her to have the basic training at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now