Talk

Advanced search

Paying a nanny for travel time

(16 Posts)
Minty82 Tue 13-Feb-18 21:46:03

Just wanting to check what the norm is here. We had a temporary nanny for a couple of weeks, who was great. But when she invoiced me I was a bit surprised that she'd included time waiting in the school playground at pick up time; walking between our house, where she left her car, and the school (i.e. without the children); and chatting to me after I'd got home from work, when I'd made clear she was entirely free to leave. It added up to an extra two and a half hours over the course of each week, which is not nothing when we've carefully worked out the hours we need. We're about to employ a nanny permanently, and I'm working out her contract - is it normal to only pay for the hours when she actually has responsibility for the children, or is travel/waiting time an accepted part of the deal?

EatingSatsumas Tue 13-Feb-18 21:50:40

Travel and waiting time is accepted but not hanging around late to chat to you unnecessarily, unless she was telling you how the children had been that day and regarded it as a work related conversation.

olympicsrock Tue 13-Feb-18 21:51:35

You need to give her clear start and finish times. If she can drive to work, pick the children up and then drive back to your house then the start of her shift is when she must be standing in the playground but if she has to park at your house then walk then she starts work when she arrives at your house.
I ask our nanny to arrive 10 mins before I leave and we usually cross over at the end of the day to discuss any issues - this should be paid time.

HSMMaCM Tue 13-Feb-18 21:51:53

I would say it's fair to charge from the time she arrived at your house, in order to get to school in time. Not fair to charge for the informal chat at the end of the day, unless she felt it was expected handover time. Handover should be done within paid hours.

Just make sure you are completely clear with your new nanny about when her contracted hours are. If school finishes at 3:15 and she can arrive at school at 3:15 with your child waiting by the empty parking space, fair enough, but this is unlikely.

Minty82 Tue 13-Feb-18 22:01:04

OK, that's interesting. I had advertised quoting the hours when there would be direct contact with the children, and as that was what we'd discussed I was a bit taken aback, but maybe I shouldn't have been. The end of the day thing though, was half an hour of general chit chat (including but by no means limited to what the children had been up to), and I was a bit startled to be charged for that.

Archfarchnad Tue 13-Feb-18 22:06:48

Coldness, I read the title too quickly without me specs on and thought you wanted to pay a nanny for time travel, which really seems a bit beyond the scope of the average childcare job.

Archfarchnad Tue 13-Feb-18 22:07:24

And coldness was an autocorrect for goodness!

Minty82 Tue 13-Feb-18 22:08:38

Haha! That might solve the problem...

Minty82 Tue 13-Feb-18 22:14:21

So she's arriving at our house, getting the kids ready, taking them to school, walking back home to collect her car, and charging me right up until she's picked her car up. Ditto at the end of the day - parking at the house, walking to the playground (10 mins) waiting around and picking up the kids - an extra 20 mins on the bill. Is that all standard? Sorry, your responses are all really helpful, I'm new to this!

salsamad Tue 13-Feb-18 22:35:29

From the minute she arrives at your house she is working and that stops when she arrives back at your house when she has already dropped the children off.
The only way to change this is if she took the children to school in her car and then she would be able to get into her car straight after dropping them off thus finishing sooner. However you would then have to pay mileage for her to use her car i.e. For petrol and wear and tear.
Arriving to pick them up is the same, she cannot just roll up at the last minute incase they leave the classroom early.
I understand your unhappiness at being charged unnecessarily at the end of the day however I think you need to be a little more flexible in your approach to employing a nanny.
One of the advantages of employing a nanny is the flexibility they offer e.g. Longer hours, later nights etc. Most nannys are happy and willing to occasionally extend hours or do extra days if you have a work emergency but if you are going to quibble about every minute your nanny is or isn't on duty and thus requiring extra payment, then you will not foster a very good employer/employee relationship.
To be honest it makes sense just to have set hours in the contract but add in that flexibility maybe required by both parties i.e. if you Nanny works over for 25mins as you are late from work then you pay her for an extra half hour.

roundcorners Wed 14-Feb-18 16:27:17

I used to pay my after-school nanny only for the time she was with my children. I rounded it up assuming she would arrive early and have 5 minutes to wait in the playground. We live 10 minutes walk from the school and she would sometimes drive and leave her car at mine before walking to the school. I thought her commute was her responsibility. It seemed to work well. I didn't realise this wasn't standard.

juneybean Wed 14-Feb-18 16:32:19

When I was a nanny my start time would be school pick up time so 3.30pm to 6pm. I did not claim mileage for getting to the school only driving the children home.

ForgivenessIsDivine Wed 14-Feb-18 16:43:33

Also a temporary nanny may be more attentive to counting every 15 minutes than a permanent contract.

Permanent contract might state... Daily rate £30 ... responsibIlities:collect children from school at 3:30.... hand over at the end of the day. Finish time 6:30. Overtime to be paid at £10 per hour or part of.. after 10 minutes.

FinallyHere Wed 14-Feb-18 16:54:51

An end of the day chat... I could see how charging for that would very sensibly incline you towards making sure she can get off on time. What feels like general social chit chat for you, might feel different for someone is is working for you and isn't confident enough to say 'got to run...'

Generally, though, being clear in your expectations and then verging on the generous side will probably work better for you rather than seeming to penny pinch. She is looking after your precious children.

fashionqueen1183 Mon 19-Feb-18 08:36:27

Of course you need to pay your nanny for the time it takes her to get to and from your house for pick up, because that is the time she is starting work - she’s not on her own time when she is walking to pick them up.
Some examples in jobs I have had is kids finish school at 3.20, I was paid from 3. Another job kids finished at 3.15 I was paid from 2.45
In the mornings I was paid til 9 but dropped kids at school at 8.40ish
I still have to get back to my car at their house, and they don’t always go in on time etc
In terms of the later finishes then I guess it depends if this is a handover or her just hanging on for no reason.
If you get another nanny then you can specify a finishing time in the employment contract.

user1483387154 Mon 19-Feb-18 08:43:09

Yes you should pay waiting times but no you should not pay her for chatting after she has finished work. Give her a clear leaving time and tell her she is finished for the day at that point. If she choses to stay and chat it is not chargeable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now