Talk

Advanced search

How to find an after-school nanny? Is it even worth trying?!

(21 Posts)
BrokenTiles Tue 30-Jan-18 11:04:52

We've been very lucky in having access to wraparound childcare through primary school. The same company also do holiday clubs, on-site, so it has been a doddle!

Unfortunately, it's used mainly by younger children, and as ours are getting older, it's become less suitable. Our eldest is also no longer at primary, so can't use the holiday club, and her little brother will be in the same position come September.

In an ideal world, I'd love someone to collect the (currently 3) children from primary school, bring them home, feed and supervise them and eldest DD until DH or I are home by 6ish. The same person would then come to the house three days a week during school holidays to look after them and take them to park etc.

We're not in London, and nannies aren't really a "thing" where we are.

Has anyone had any success in getting any kind of arrangement like this, and if so - any tips?!

minipie Tue 30-Jan-18 11:10:15

Could you accommodate an au pair? How many hours would you need per week in the holidays - au pairs generally do around 25-30 hours but some will do up to 35 hours (for extra pay)

BrokenTiles Tue 30-Jan-18 11:14:01

We could definitely work around it so that we would fall into the 25-30 hours bracket, but we don't really have the space for an au pair (nor do I think that where we live would be attractive to most!)

BrokenTiles Tue 30-Jan-18 11:15:10

(ps, thanks for response)

I suspect that what we're looking for probably isn't out there, as if it was, everyone would have it!

dancingqueen345 Tue 30-Jan-18 11:17:28

No experience of this (and not sure what sort of legal requirements there are) but would you consider a colleague student? I'd have loved a 'job' like that in college as I was hardly ever in full days!

Or would maybe suit someone retired.

I'd put an ad in your local shop and see what you get back.

MissSueFlay Tue 30-Jan-18 11:19:05

Try speaking to a nanny agency - give them your wish list and see what they come up with or recommend.
There's also Koru Kids if you're in London - they have students looking for limited hours work.
I put an ad on Gum Tree and found someone (after wading through a LOT of unsuitable applications!)

MissSueFlay Tue 30-Jan-18 11:22:43

Should add that the person I found on Gum Tree is a student - she said doing after-school childcare was nicer, more sociable and better paid than bar / restaurant work!

minipie Tue 30-Jan-18 11:27:55

What have other parents in the school done as their DC have got older?

greenlizard Tue 30-Jan-18 11:35:16

After school nannies are definitely a thing where we live...try an nanny agency.

LyricalGangster Tue 30-Jan-18 11:38:41

Try local colleges - they might have students who find these hours work really well for them

MiriAmmerman Tue 30-Jan-18 11:48:34

I second seeking out a student - I used to do this for a couple of families during my doctorate. I enjoyed it a lot and it worked very well.

Iamblossom Tue 30-Jan-18 11:52:39

we had a childminder that did exactly this

abrs16 Tue 30-Jan-18 11:56:20

Have you tried posting your requirements on childcare.co.uk

You never know who is about in your area, it would only take a max of about 30 mins to set up an account and profile.

Good luck x

hollyberrytree Tue 30-Jan-18 12:15:22

Have you looked into using a childminder? Obviously your children go to them but they are more flexible and the older children are usually very welcome

Crumbs1 Tue 30-Jan-18 12:22:05

We had one when the youngest was in years 1-4. She was the wife of one of my husband’s colleagues who was at home with a toddler in a tiny village. She enjoyed the older children’s company as did her little one. She also made friends with some of the younger mothers so it worked well for her. I insured her on my Galaxy so she could just fit everyone in, if necessary. Then I paid her x pounds an hour which gave me flexibility. They were looked after between our houses (which were a few hundred yards apart at the time). They could come in, get changed, be fed and watered and do homework etc. If it was warm she’d put the large paddling pool and sprinkler up and we invested in a waterslide. The children were very fond of her despite the younger ones being cross at losing our full time nanny.
Advertise in local school, churches, village magazine and word of mouth. Lots of women want their own money but are limited by little ones.

Wollstonecraft1 Tue 30-Jan-18 12:27:16

Could someone with a baby or a preschool child help? It might be an ideal job for someone who doesn't want to find childcare for their own DC

Fakeplasticcheese Tue 30-Jan-18 12:53:56

I am in a similar position to you and am going to see what a local nanny agency can come up with as well as looking at childminders.

GoAndAskDaddy Tue 30-Jan-18 21:48:28

You could try advertising on the Indeed website for a 'Mother's Help'. I have done this a couple of times and got some really good applicants for this kind of position. Not nannies (which I have had in the past) or people qualified in child care but quite a lot of applicants who had grown-up children so the hours suited them. Currently have a lady who comes 2.30 to 6.30. Had to be quite selective about who to invite for interview as got quite a few unsuitables.

Angie243 Sun 11-Feb-18 23:15:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

RenaissanceBunny Sun 11-Feb-18 23:25:11

I did exactly this as a PhD student it worked really well as it was better paid/nicer than a shop job and my schedule (arts PhD) was entirely up to me except when I was teaching (one day a week eleven weeks a year).

The advantages of getting a PhD student is they're older and in charge of their own schedule so I could be really flexible and drop everything to look after an ill child or stay and babysit really late.

fashionqueen1183 Mon 19-Feb-18 08:42:28

Id set up a profile on childcare. Lots of nannies with their own children will do this type of job. You can use a payroll company for payslips etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now