Talk

Advanced search

Nannies who have worked abroad - did you sort out your VISA or did the family do it for you

(2 Posts)
Nanny125 Sat 13-Jan-18 18:48:09

Hi ,

Just as subject says - nannies who have worked abroad - did you sort out your VISA or did the family do it for you?

I have just had a Skype phone call about a job in Russia, and the family says that I would sort it out and they would reimburse me? Is that normal?

They also said they would probably have me start on a business visa for 3 months, I would fly home and then renew it. This could happen up to three times before they would get me a work visa?

These will be my first abroad nanny jobs and I feel as if this isn't what would usually happen?

This was only a first Skype phone call with the PA but I wouldn't even meet the mum until I get there?

Any thoughts and help would be super appreciated smile

Nowwhyareyoucrying Tue 16-Jan-18 14:29:58

I’ve only required a visa once and the family sorted it all for me, well their solicitor did. I wouldn’t have known where to start, and that was to the US. I went on a work visa straight away, no temporary or business visas. I presume they want you to this so you can have a ‘trial’.

If you did go on a working visa (which would be more relevant) they would need specific details of the job/family to process it, which you wouldn’t have knowledge of anyway.

I would be very careful taking a job without meeting the family and finding out a lot more information. Who would be paying for flights for example. Is it through an agency as they will be able to help you, if not I would be very cautious, and throughly research the visa protocol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now