Talk

Advanced search

Advice on nanny wage increase request

(33 Posts)
espresso14 Tue 05-Dec-17 13:46:35

Hello,

I'd appreciate some advice. We have a fantastic nanny, who has been with us for several years and we live in the midlands.

Our nanny has told us that she has had other offers now, and is going to increase her rate to £12-14 per hour (up from £10). This pay is gross, and she does her own payroll via an accountant.

I feel stuck in a very difficult situation. The children love her, but we're a long way from London/ home counties and I think it's out of step for the area.

Thanks

thebellsareringingout Tue 05-Dec-17 13:51:32

How much longer do you need the nanny for, and what’s the cost of searching for a replacement? Think about how much you’d pay to avoid losing her for the time you need her, and then compare to her new rate.

Is it 12 or 14? Huge difference over time.

TittyGolightly Tue 05-Dec-17 13:51:46

Self employed cleaners earn £10 an hour outside of London............

Chaosofcalm Tue 05-Dec-17 13:52:28

Well you have a choice of trying to negotiate a lower wage or a wage that she is happy with or changes nannies.

Has she had a pay rise in the last few years that she has worked for you?

Chaosofcalm Tue 05-Dec-17 13:52:58

NE here and I pay £10 for a cleaner.

WhyOhWine Tue 05-Dec-17 13:53:43

if sheis a nanny (in your house), you should be operating PAYE.

NannyR Tue 05-Dec-17 13:54:28

Has she been cleared by hmrc to work as self employed? It's quite rare that a nanny can be classed as self employed, there are certain circumstances where it's possible but normally a nanny would be an employee.

MaybeDoctor Tue 05-Dec-17 13:54:49

Check local adverts. Offer a rise that seems reasonable.

I suspect that she is chancing her arm.

HollyBollyBooBoo Tue 05-Dec-17 13:55:39

£10 an hour is v cheap!

DancesWithOtters Tue 05-Dec-17 13:56:55

We're in east anglia and our cleaner is £11 an hour.

thebellsareringingout Tue 05-Dec-17 13:57:51

also are you upset that she has other offers rather than discussing a rise with you? It sounds as though you may lose her anyway if she looked around before discussing, unless she is chancing it.

thebellsareringingout Tue 05-Dec-17 13:58:39

what does cleaning have to do with anything? Cleaning is hard manual labour, i'm not sure they're comparable! Cleaners where I am cost more than nannies, that doesn't infer the market rate for nannies should be higher.

thegirlupnorth Tue 05-Dec-17 14:04:14

If she's paying her own NI and tax £12 or even £14 per hour is a fair wage. If she is on the voluntary ofsted register, regularly updates her first aid, pays public liability insurance and DBS update service they are all costs coming out of her own pocket.

A childminder can be £4-£5 ph for one child. Depends on hours, how many children etc but if she's never had a pay rise you're not looking after her and valuing her like you should.

TittyGolightly Tue 05-Dec-17 14:08:29

what does cleaning have to do with anything? Cleaning is hard manual labour, i'm not sure they're comparable! Cleaners where I am cost more than nannies, that doesn't infer the market rate for nannies should be higher

Doesn’t it?

PricillaQueenOfTheDesert Tue 05-Dec-17 14:10:47

£10 an hour for a skilled job done well is incredibly cheap. She could be earning £8 or £9 an hour for a menial, no brain required type of factory/shop work.

If you want to continue paying a low wage, would you be happy to let her go and find a replacement?

Try looking online at some employment agency and see what passes for a living wage.

I’m always agog at people who think their own children deserve cheap childcare.

thebellsareringingout Tue 05-Dec-17 14:11:40

no it doesn't, two completely different jobs...or do you think that the nanny here has cleaning job offers?

I don't know many nannies that have switched between cleaning and nannying.

thebellsareringingout Tue 05-Dec-17 14:15:19

erm, factory/shop work is pretty much all on your feet, unlike nannying. These comparisons are pretty unhelpful to Op's particular dilemma.

Op, you just have to figure out what you can pay, and at what point it's not worth your while paying it and seeking another nanny instead. There isn't a big moral question here, it's whether you can afford to avoid the disruption to your kids and at what price point you have to bite that bullet.

RestingGrinchFace Tue 05-Dec-17 14:18:58

I think it really depends on how much you need her. If your children are older (school aged for example) you could surely get by with just an au pair couldn't you?

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 05-Dec-17 14:26:26

Cleaning isn't really comparable because cleaning jobs tend to be for shorter hours, so the hourly rate would be higher to account for the fact that travel may be disproportionate for short shifts - most people would have a cleaner for 2/3 hours a week, whereas a full time nanny could be 50/60 hours a week.

A nanny earning £10 an hour for a 50 hour week would be on £500 a week. Even if a cleaner was 'full time' they are unlikely to be paid for more than 25-30 hours a week and for that they would need 10 clients each having a half day cleaning session a week with nowhere near the same earning potential.

espresso14 Tue 05-Dec-17 14:40:39

Views helpful thank you.

She is wonderful, and knows we highly value her.

Stickaforkinimdone Tue 05-Dec-17 14:44:51

You pay your nanny £10 per hour GROSS?!!

Not surprised she’s had other offers! I worked as a nanny approx 10-12 years ago now, granted it was in London but even then I was earning £12 per hour net
Currently I pay my cleaner (also London) £12 per hour

When did you last give her a pay rise?

lapetitesiren Tue 05-Dec-17 14:46:39

I would think 10 per hour would be entry level for any nanny who was half decent. It's a responsible skilled job. Why don't you search for a replacement and if you find someone good and reliable easily you won't need to pay more.

newmumwithquestions Tue 05-Dec-17 14:49:56

Have you given her a rise in the several years she’s worked for you? If not I’d say she’s overdue one.

But it’s irrelevant what I think.

You want her to work for you, as she’s approached you rather than just hand her notice in it sounds like she’d like to stay. You need to negotiate between yourselves and decide the rate she’s worth to you.

I’ve just given my cleaner a £1 an hour rise as I think she’s better than the last one I had so I’d like to keep her. I haven’t had her long and she didn’t ask but I’d rather get in before she looks around for anything else. If she’s still with us next year I’ll review again.

NannyR Tue 05-Dec-17 14:50:57

I agree that in London hourly rates can be higher however I've recently been job searching in a northern city and hourly rates for jobs I've looked at have been between £10 and £12 gross.

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 05-Dec-17 14:54:10

A nanny is an employee though. Surely you should be paying employers' NI as well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now